close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock 17 gen 3 trigger makes clicking noise

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by peng, Nov 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. peng

peng

thought I would take advantage of a group of glock experts with this question.

My G17 gen3 has a rather loud metallic click after releasing the trigger safety and before the striker fires. It sounds like it may be the trigger bar going over the firing pin safety, but I cannot reporoduce the noise with the silde off.

I have done some light polishing and have a ghost ultimate 3.5lb connector installed, but the OEM connector does the same thing. I have done other mods (SS guide rod, wolff 17lb spring, new striker spring), but putting the OEM parts back does not fix.

Any ideas ? With the slide off, I can manually pull the trigger bar fwd to reset the trigger, and then pull the trigger while holding it - and cannot hear any nosie that sounds like what I hear with the slide on.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

As far as I can tell it comes from the arm of the trigger bar interacting with the firing pin safety. I don't know exactly what causes it, if the trigger bar arm is slipping off to the side of the safety or perhaps the safety is wiggling around in the slide. :dunno:

My G27 does it, my G23 doesn't. Sometimes if I detail strip the G27 slide and rotate the firing pin safety 180 degrees it won't click for a few trigger pulls, then it'll start clicking again. I've been thinking of trying an aftermarket firing pin safety to see if it'll stop the clicking.

To clarify, the click occurs early in the trigger pull, maybe the first 1/2 inch of travel.

3. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

So as you're pulling the trigger right before the trigger break(aka gun shoots).. Hmm. It may very well be the safety plunger and trigger bar arm connection as mentioned above. I'm assuming the pistol still fires since you didn't mention anything about it.

Edit: On second thought. Does it sound like a springy sound? Have you disassembled the trigger housing lately?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  4. peng

peng

Thanks guys, yes the gun is 100% functional, 200 rds through it yesterday w/ no issues. It does sound like a spring sound, and yes I have detail stripped the trigger and striker. It sounds like the noise is coming from the center of the gun right at the firing pin safety. I can see the trigger bar extension moving if I look at the gap between the frame and slide. It doesn't feel gritty at all, just noisy. driving me nuts ! I''ll put a new trigger and bar in it and see if that fixes it.

5. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

take your trigger housing apart and see if your trigger spring is centered in its detent slot..

6. LibertyPatriot

LibertyPatriot

7. peng

peng

thanks TxGLock9 - yep I checked the triggger spring to make sure it was centered in the detent - I purposefully put it off center also with no change.

LibertyPatriot - it took me awhile to see how you got the video - pretty smart. I'll take a light through the magwell and see if it is the firing pin safety. Tell me how you fixed it !!

8. LibertyPatriot

LibertyPatriot

I didn't fix anything, it's just a clicking sound and doesn't affect the function of the gun.

9. peng

peng

Man that video could be my gun - exactly the issue. It look like the bar is off center to the firing pin safety, doesn't it ? Maybe I'll try a small bend and see what happens ?

10. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Well, at least we eliminated one possibility.

Disassemble your slide. Take our your firing pin, extractor, and plunger w/plunger spring. Clean the area(hole) where the plunger sits with a q-tip. Reinstall. See if that works out for yah.

11. LibertyPatriot

LibertyPatriot

I should have said this video was after I had completely stripped the slide and cleaned everything out with alcohol. It was perfectly clean and dry in all the nooks and crannies.

12. voyager4520

voyager4520

Sounds exactly like my G27. Excellent video!

Same here.

If you watch the very beginning of the video, the arm of the trigger bar begins to depress the firing pin safety, then as the trigger is pulled back a little more the safety shifts to the left, that shift correlates perfectly with the "click" sound.

I'm pretty sure now that it's exactly what I thought it was before, the safety is wiggling around in the hole in the slide.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  13. HGxyz

HGxyz

Makes me wonder if the firing pin safety spring is correctly installed? Before putting the the safety and spring into the slide, did you check if you can hold the spring (dangling the safety) and the safety stays attached to the spring?

14. voyager4520

voyager4520

In my G27 the firing pin safety spring is seated into the firing pin safety, I press the spring into the safety until the spring "clicks" into place.

Though here's another strange thing, when I had a LoneWolf extractor in the gun it didn't make the clicking noise. LoneWolf extractors don't have the semi-circle cutout for the firing pin safety, factory Glock extractors do. And on the factory Glock extractor in my G27 I've noticed that the little corner of that semi-circle depression has the black coating worn away with corresponding wear on the firing pin safety.

15. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I bet the either firing pin safety spring is dirty, worn, or out of its seat.

16. LibertyPatriot

LibertyPatriot

My G17 is a June 2011 build and only approximately 500 rounds through it. I stripped the slide to make sure there wasn't any oil in the striker pin channel. Seems the newer Glocks are coming out with more oil in the slide than I would like to see. I want my striker pin to rattle free pulling the trigger on an empty chamber.

I did not remove the spring from the striker pin block when I stripped the slide.

Man, I hope my wife gets me the Glock counter mat for Christmas so I can get the part names down better.

17. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I know you just want a parts pad just to have it.. :supergrin:

But in any case..
    [​IMG]

18. peng

peng

I was actually able to make the click go away by bending the bar slightly to center it on the firing pin safety. I think because it was off center it was causing the plunger to twist slightly which makes the spring click.

19. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Cool. I'm glad you figured it out. That's one shltty thing about glock internals. Even though they are metal components they will flex to the slightest of degree. Now this may sound weird for most people, but I'm one of those meticulous types that can feel the slightest difference. Try inserting an empty magazine and dry fire; and compare that with dry firing without a magazine. If you really look for it you can tell the trigger break is more (a lot for me) crisp....

Btw. Have you tried the .25cent trigger job?

20. HGxyz

HGxyz

I don't think any of my glocks hit the center of the firing pin safety (and none click like the video). They hit about a 1/3 the way out from the right side of the slide.

I would be careful about bending the trigger bar, its possible to cause serious problems. Did you check to make sure the cruciform still engages properly with the firing pin lug?