Glock 17, Gen 1

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by mikemon22, Oct 17, 2020.

1. mikemon22

mikemon22

I originally posted this in General Glocking. A more experienced member suggested I post this in Glock Collector's Club.
    I recently purchased a Glock 17 in a complete, serial number matching Tupperware case. It has the brush, cleaning rod, and speed loader. The case has a hole in it's side, which looks like there had been an accidental discharge. The serial number is CC733US, manufactured in Feb 1987. The owner’s manual is also dated Feb 1987. It came with two 17 round magazines, which are the early NFML (Non full metal lined) magazines with U-Notch Floor Plates. I believe the rear sight is the “weekend” adjustable sight. Glock Talk 01.jpg Glock Talk 02.jpg Glock Talk 03.jpg Glock Talk 04.jpg Glock Talk 05.jpg Glock Talk 06.jpg Glock Talk 07.jpg Glock Talk 08.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Jayman28, davedc, patcrad and 2 others like this.
  2. patcrad

patcrad

Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the collectors club. Excellent example of why Glock ceased production and began to confiscate any bullet box as they returned to the Glock factory for upgrades.

If this was mine, My first “upgrade” would be to cut that horrid rubber grip off and return it back to its original condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davedc and mikemon22 like this.

3. Mike Faraday

Mike Faraday

Glock 17, first edition...the worst Glock produced, they have just continued to get better.

4. patcrad

patcrad

Agreed! I would only edc a Gen 3 or beyond for personal protection.

Love to collect the Gen 1s for nostalgia.

mikemon22 likes this.
  5. gunlove

gunlove

I would agree that the mags have continued to get better.
    But the pistols, I don't hesitate carrying a Gen 1 or 2 and I've never heard of any major issues with them. The Gen 1's had better fit, detail, and triggers than the Gen 2 and some of the gen 3. Where gen 4 & 5 seam to have gotten better.

mikemon22 likes this.
  6. premiertactical

premiertactical

Rookie.... Just one? One is none and two is one. You should have known.
    (2) 42's..... Now that's 2 fists of lightning and thunder.

7. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

That's nice!

I have carried a Gen 1 17 for personal protection, no problems with the gun experienced. I sadly got rid of it several years ago.

mikemon22 likes this.
  8. patcrad

patcrad

Meh...if you rely on a firearm (or two) as your only form of self defense, or feel the need to carry two, you’re the rookie.

I’ve posted many many times on this: I Love the Gen 1, as a collector, but who would want to carry a firearm that had multiple factory recalls and required upgrades due to documented failures and malfunctions. Glock made several modifications during and after Gen 1 that improved its overall reliability. Is it easier to understand if I say that my confidence is higher in ED carrying a newer generation of Glock?

premiertactical likes this.
  9. premiertactical

premiertactical

Pat what I offered was in jest.
    My response was not meant to be taken seriously.

davedc, Jayman28 and patcrad like this.
  10. mtstream

mtstream

It's just a matter of using current parts - no different than regularly changing the springs in my mind. Gen4 upgraded the RSA, slide stop spring and connector shortly after release, we don't even think about those anymore.

One of my Gen1s is a police trade-in with a lot of finish missing. I updated all the parts and shoot the heck out of it (love the feel of a Gen1 except when hands are wet). One of the best shooting Glocks I own. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for self defense, it's proven reliability. Even more amazing considering the condition it was in when I got it.

For the OP - those are Weekend sights and they will break easily. Take care of that gun.

11. premiertactical

premiertactical

Mtstream I took a Gen 1 I purchased and also converted it into a shooter.
    I did this to that handgun due to the molded fence that goes below the slide stop lever was missing. Someone cut that out probably to make it easier to release the slide. I didn’t catch it in the horrible images of that D prefix Gen 1.
    Anyways, I bought a Bar-Sto Oversized barrel that I hand fitted to the slide.
    Installed one of my newer Glock trigger bars which I relocate the trigger and where it pivots on the bar. Taran Tactical minus connector and a captured SS guide rod and spring for a little extra weight. I doubt I changed the extractor or the striker.
    I put in a stock striker spring merely for reliable ignition.
    Bought some ladder tape and traced my grip area out. Applied that and the gun is easy to grip.
    Bomar adjustable rear sight. After figuring out what height front sight I need to POI at 25 yards, I had Dawson Precision manufacture for me a custom front sight to that height.

This handgun will outshoot any newer generation stock Glock.

I tried shooting shooting that gun in stock form. At 25 yards it simply was horribly inconsistent.

‘Glocks are wonderfully simple to get them to shoot on a level that few can imagine for a double action only handgun.

Hand fit an oversized great quality barrel and now have the only limitation as you the shooter.

Back on topic...
    Welcome to the collectors area of this fine forum Mike. This area enjoys having no equal in sheer volume of information related to collecting Glocks. No other forum will have as many members actively involved in sharing information.
    If you enjoy even the thought of Glock collecting you can feed that well here.

Great images.

mikemon22 and glockhoarder like this.
  12. mtstream

mtstream

Yeah, different guns, especially with the unknown histories, can breed different experiences. This pic is actually a different Gen1 I was shooting with but it went as part of a trade for my AFxxx - which I haven't shot . . . yet :D The one I kept is a slightly better shooter.

Also back on topic for Mike - Premier is right about this sub-forum being THE best source of information on collectible Glocks. He is a big part of that, not only extremely knowledgeable but puts in a lot of work to gather and document information that we truly benefit from. Our discussion about experience shooting Gen1s is just discussion.

BTW - I can't decide if the damage to the box reduces it's value or increases it because it tells a story about Glock's history. Personally, I think it's great.

[​IMG]

premiertactical, mikemon22 and davedc like this.
  13. patcrad

patcrad

I got it. Neither was mine, just my usual sarcasm. I really don’t even carry much anymore. Trying to hit the quote from The Professional, sniper rifle is for the amateur, pistol is novice, knife is expert, no weapon is BAMF. Something like that.

14. Joe Cocksman

Joe Cocksman

I’d take that ***** to fallushuh

davedc likes this.
  15. BarryR

BarryR

I had a Gen1 G17/19/21 they all shot great, never had a problem. I sold them and made a killing. I wished I would of kept the 21

16. premiertactical

premiertactical

Mtstream your comments were generous. Thank you.

Pat.....Damn it you got me again...
    No way I saw that coming.

And Mike I agree that box lends character. I would not change it out for sure. It is that particular Glocks history.

One of these days I will purchase one such as yours Mike.
    I have only seen a few that have included the box like that. Maybe 3.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 3:20 PM
    mikemon22 and patcrad like this.
  17. mikemon22

mikemon22

I agree that it gives the box character. Besides, the label bears the serial number of the pistol, identifying that it is the original box.

patcrad and premiertactical like this.