close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 for IDPA

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by man0ica, Aug 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. man0ica

man0ica

Fairly new Glock owner here, I just bought a new G17 today to use in IDPA matches. I have a G26 already, (and a whole bunch of 1911's), but wanted to try a G17. I've been shooting IDPA (with a 1911)for quite a while now, and doing quite well with it, but began noticing how well the G17 does in these matches, with their low recoil, quick target aquisition, and very good accuracy. I plan on installing a 3.5lb trigger, but was wondering what else should be done to the G17 to make it competitive. I'd like to use it in my next match which is 2 weeks away. Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated.

2. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Dale's pretty much got it - and if you throw the stock spring & a Glock connector (even a Glock 3.5#) back in it you can shoot GSSF amateur divisions too. Have fun; 17's a great gun and ditto on Matt at CGR. ^c

4. rayjay

rayjay

Thats the cool thing about the G17. It is very competitive right out of the box. Might I suggest a 4lb striker spring from Wolf to go with that 3.5lb connector. I did the .25 cent polish job, which helped, and polished slide rail contacts. Now thats about all you can do(?) and still be within IDPA guidelines. I changed my sites to adjustable Hi-Vis and they work great, easier to acquire and see.
    With these mods you'll be able to stay in SSP. Once you put on a mag-well or mod the frame you'll have to shoot is ESP.
    Changing your recoil spring to a captured steel recoil system to reduce recoil is not within the IDPA guidelines, and I personally wooooould never do that ;) . Using a weighted rear channel plug is against the rules too, I think, I would never think about doing that;) . Using brass mag inserts to make the mags drop fast is not a good thing either ;) .

5. Jayman

Jayman Big Dummy

Actually if you go to a stainless guiderod you're in ESP.

Them other thangs, as you mention, are kinda no-nos, but if you're not in Master Class, nobody will care, most likely.

To the other posters, WHY A 13# RECOIL SPRING, vs. stock?

6. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

You can do quite a bit more but the most import things are sights, trigger and springs as mentioned.

Jayman, check the spring wars article at www.custom-glock.com/glocktech.html

7. man0ica

man0ica

I really appreciate all the great info you guys have provided, and will start accumulating the parts. If the G17 is anything like the G26 that I bought for my wife, I know I'll love it. I am a hardcore 1911 fan, and fell in love with the G26 the 1st time I was able to fire one, and the wife has gotten really good with it.
    I am catching a lot of hell from my 1911 buddies about buying this 17, but I want to try something new. I don't think would have caught as much crap if I would have admitted that I was gay, as I did when I said I was going to get a Glock, and use it in IDPA. Sure like to kick their butts in the next match. Thanks again for the info!

8. Shawn1

Shawn1

I too shoot IDPA with a G17, in fact, I did so yesterday. I have a 3.5 connector, competition trigger spring, polished all internals, titanium plunger, stainless steel recoil rod(for added weight). The recoil rod puts me into ESP.

9. Jayman

Jayman Big Dummy

Interesting. Is there a guiderod I could use with a 13lb spring that would keep me in SSP? Or are the only guiderods I'm going to get going to be metal?

10. Custom Glock Racing

For SSP I use the the factory rod with the endcap removed.

11. Jayman

Jayman Big Dummy

Forgive me for being dense... how do you remove it? Do you just turn it down? Or do you cut it off completely?

12. MarkP

MarkP

Easy way is to lock the slide to the rear and pull the end cap off with pliers.

13. Custom Glock Racing

The cap is friction fit. Put the rod in a vice and pull or what mark suggested.

14. rayjay

rayjay

Whoops! I stand corrected. Out of all the IDPA matches I been to I never seen an RO or SO call to have a gun "broke down" and checked. But with my luck.......it'll happen to me....at a national match no doubt ;P

15. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You can use your G17 and G26 at upcoming GSSF (Glock) matches in Jacksonville and Orlando. Schedule and rules at www.gssfonline.com

16. Jayman

Jayman Big Dummy

I've never seen it either, FWIW, but I did see a SO make a note about somebody's pistol at the Carolina Cup, he wrote on the score sheet: "Gun legal?" So at some point that competitor may have gotten subjected to a teardown.

17. Jayman

Jayman Big Dummy

Heh, well that worked, but getting the stock spring back on there ain't easy. I got tired of it and cut an inch off, THEN put it all back in the gun. (I also ordered two of those 13# springs, so my hack job doesn't have to stay in place indefinitely.) The gun's action still closes, even with an inch off of the 17# stock spring. Guess we'll see how it behaves tomorrow night at IDPA....

18. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

You probably could have saved some money and had a slightly better platform if you started with a G34. Much of what you will be doing initially will be to make the 17 like the 34. Its still a good gun for what you want.:)

19. Jayman

Jayman Big Dummy

The 34 and 35 were pretty much ground up designed for competition. Dave Sevigny uses a 34 for IDPA. That said, if I ended up with a 34, I'd still be doing:

1. lighter striker spring
    2. different sights
    3. heavier trigger spring
    4. polished internals
    5. thinned down connector
    6. grip adjustment (a-grip or skateboard tape)

and of course, adjusting the recoil spring, apparently... ;)

20. Custom Glock Racing

A 34 needs just as much work as a 17 or any other Glock.