close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 for carry ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by applekev, Nov 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. applekev

applekev

I bought a new Glock 17 mainly because the first time I picked it up it felt perfect in my hand. I was trying to make up my mind between a 17 and a 19, I had to go with my gut feeling that said the 17 was for me. I also ordered a holster from Kirkpatrick Leather, the Texas Cross Draw, along with a leather mag pouch and a new belt all in black leather. How do you folks think this combo will be for carry? Any feedback would be greatly appreaciated! Thanks!

2. Warrior2k3

Warrior2k3 Protector

It's all about your personal comfort. If this feels good for you then that is what's important.

3. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Well, the old rule of thumb is "carry the biggest caliber you can accurately shoot and control"...You're the only guy that can say if you're matched up with the right caliber.
    Lemme suggest that you carry a few tracer rounds in your mags...Pretty effective against
    "drive by" shootings...go for the gas tank...that 9 will do the job.

4. cl147

cl147 I dig SIG

Let me suggest that you forget you read this. Your IQ will go up by at least five to eight points.

Get a quality hollow point for defensive use (I like 147 grain Rangers) and get whatever factory FMJ is readily available for practice. I also suggest taking any firearms courses that are offered in your area.

About holsters....Crossdraw is comfy, but most ranges I've seen prohibit their use. Strong side belt carry is generally suggested as best.

5. magsnubby

magsnubby NRA LIFE MEMBER

I picked up a factory rebuilt G17 yesterday. I was looking for a G19 also but when i picked up the G17 i knew it was the right one for me. Those things are really sweet shooters. It replaced my G23 as my favorite Glock.

6. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

"Let me suggest that you forget you read this. Your IQ will go up by at least five to eight points"
    Ummm...Tailor what's in your mag to suit your needs... I carry some tracers in mine.

7. cl147

cl147 I dig SIG

Might as well carry some Teflon coated AP explosive in case you wander across zombies wearing kevlar helmets.

Think about the advice you've given. You're telling this guy to carry tracers so he can ignite a GAS TANK on a car that's doing a drive by on him. Shooting at a moving target is an art form unto itself. Shooting at a car that's moving away is NOT good tactics (even with Indiana's friendly laws). Think about the concequences if you miss and ignite someone else's gas tank. I honestly think you need to re-think your mindset.

8. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Well. "Think about the concequences if you miss and ignite someone else's gas tank"
    What was it Harry Callahan said?
    "A man's got to know his limitations"
    Duuuh...read this and RAISE your IQ...If you're gonna miss DON'T SHOOT!
    You have a right to go HOME at nite, in one piece, with no bullet holes in you."Returning Fire", is always considered in good taste, and good tactics!
    I'm trying to pass on the fact that many will question a 9's effectiveness... But loaded properly, it'll cause all kinds of mayhem.
    Squeemish are you? well, stay off the streets and on the range with your Idipsydoodle play quickdraw games.You never know- you might wanna shoot somebody sometime and you might miss and hit somebody else.
    You'd just have a hissyfit if you knew what I stoke the 12ga in the trunk with...

9. brownie

brownie QuickKill Instr

Rikki:

Better be sure tracers are legal for you to carry on the street before you carry them to begin with.

Because you carry them does not make it right or legal, let alone sane.

Gas tanks? Drive by's? You live in that type of Hood do you?

Robin Brown

10. cl147

cl147 I dig SIG

There we have it...you've seen one too many movies.

I'm all for going home alive. There's no question about THAT. Squeemish? Nope. Not in the least. Sane? Oh, yeah. That's more than I can say for you and your advice.

My advice to you: Graduate from 8th grade. Stop getting your training from watching Dirty Harry movies. Re-think your mindset (this bears repeating).

Seriously...carrying tracers to ignite gas tanks? Please tell me you're kidding and that I'm being duped into a joke.

Personally, I don't give a flying fish what you carry in your handgun or your shotgun. The legal aftermath of what you do is on you. The problem is that your advice is plain crazy (suggesting tracers to ignite gas tanks). You're the type of internet commando that makes EVERY single gun owner in the nation look bad. Remember this: when you, as a gun owner, screw up...the rest of us have to suffer for your stupidity.

11. mixerman

mixerman

I hope he is kiddong also, thats the most absurd thing I have ever heard. I would suggest carrying, as a back up, some miscellenous bottles of liquor with a high alcohol content...that way you could stuff a rag in the bottle, light it on fire and simply toss it on the vehicle doing the drive by, thus igniting the car and it's occupants. UNBELIEVABLE!!

12. mixerman

mixerman

Oh ya, I do carry a G17 with 147 grain gold dots, I think it is a great set up. I used to carry a .40, but i can handle the 9 so much better, as in quicker follow up shots. I personally believe shot placement is paramount, that is why I switched to the 9. (my .40 was a G27, a lot harder to control than a 17) I think you made an excellent choice. If you end up not liking your holster, check out the threat solutions UCR or the comptac c-tac next. Many people, myself included, had to spend a lot of money trying holsters until arriving at one of these two.

13. Vincent Black

Vincent Black Need a cup?

Sell your gun and stick to playing video games, you'll be less dangerous to the public that way.

14. smrkdown

smrkdown

I carry a G17 with 127 Gr. +P and 147 Gr. Speer Gold Dots in a Fobus paddle holster (was only $13.00 new). I think I'm gonna check out an Uncle Mike's paddle soon. Anyway, this rig works well.

15. brownie

brownie QuickKill Instr

147 grain ranger T's for my 17

Robin Brown

16. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

"Sell your gun and stick to playing video games, you'll be less dangerous to the public that way"
    Sorry, but I don't even own a video game.

"miscellenous bottles of liquor with a high alcohol content"
    Bacardi 151 won't even blow out the windows...use gas- and Oh, be careful! (there are you happy I included a warning?)

"Seriously...carrying tracers to ignite gas tanks"
    Yep...I'm seriously carrin' tracers to ignite gas tanks-and anything else I wanna try to light up.Your "147gr Ranger" load ain't the cure all.Lissen...you gotta have an ace in the hole if you ever get cornered by a pack of those bad azzed harley boys- you light up the bandleaders mule and they'll give you a free pass in a hurry!

"be sure tracers are legal for you to carry "
    they sure are

NOW- Lemme give you boys some advice...Learn to think outside the box. STOP- look around- is that "cover" or "concealment"...ever been in a gun shop when it was robbed? A Gas station? A Bank? Do you keep your piece beside your seat belt- so you can reach it while you "undo your seatbelt" in a carjacking? Park under a light away from the crowded front doors at the mall? Have your keys ready?Got a plan in case of a home invasion?
    I hope you don't have to draw your weapon, or shoot for your life-or someone elses- but it don't sound to me like you're ready...learn to hit a moving target- believe me - you gotta lot better chance to hit a gastank with a mag of tracers than the driver with a 147ranger...
    Outside the box boys...
    I'm not gonna play with you anymore- I don't think you've never been shot at, and when Hell comes for breakfast folks like you just tend to get in the way... There's a whole wad of alternate firepower out there.Lemme suggest you join the Rangers- or go thru Navy Flight School...That's where they teach this "video game" stuff...

17. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

someone call the village, the idiot is loose.

18. cl147

cl147 I dig SIG

On a side note...I'd REALLY like to see what the professional trainers have to say about this whole "debate"...THAT would prove to be interesting.

19. Guy Powell

Guy Powell Guest

Tracer rounds? An old military saying that, "If you can see where they're coming from so can the enemy," would suggest it's probably not a good idea.;g
    Tracer rounds in a civilian application. That made my morning.

20. Mud

Mud

I carry a G 34 with 147 grain gold dots

and i carry a Mini 1 pound propane bottle that i can throw at some one then shoot it so they can blow up and the shrapnel will take out the whole gang or whatever is agressing me

;f JK

but the 34 is real