close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 first gun range report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Atluu, Jul 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Atluu

Atluu

Shot 200rds of Federal 115gr flawlessly + 100 rds of WWB 115gr flawlessly. I had a bit of an issue about the erratic shooting, where it often shoot high, low , left and right, but sometimes on target. My feet at shoulder width apart, my thumbs are both facing foward with one on top of the other. I think it has to do with my wrist when I shoot. Is it supposed to be relaxed or am I supposed to have a tight tension ? Does this mean I'm limp wristing?

This is my stance/hand positioning:
    http://i47.tinypic.com/essp3s.jpg

Also, I bought this Hoppe's lubricating oil.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Lubricating-Oil-Ounce-Aerosol/dp/B0000C518D/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1343608136&sr=8-12&keywords=hoppe%27s+gun+lubricating"]Hoppe's Lubricating Oil, 4 Ounce Aerosol E/F: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-ytT8qu2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41-ytT8qu2L[/ame]

Is this the correct one to lubricate and clean the barrel and the other parts that need lubrication?

Also What do you guys clean the exterior of the gun with? Near where the bullet is ejected on the slide there are some splats stains of what I'm guessing is the gas residue.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

That's the same oil I use. Both for cleaning and lubricating. Never had a problem with it in decades.

You are a lefty, correct? You are leaning quite a bit for some reason. Find a natural solid balance. Don't worry about what you are "supposed" to do, except stand as solidly as you can, as balanced and steady as you can. Later on you can practise shooting from all kinds of positions.

Strange how your right thumb is so low. If going with thumbs forward, try to rotate that right thumb forward more and place it on the take down lever (exact location will vary). Left thumb will ride on top of that highly placed right thumb. Right index finger should be jammed under the trigger guard. I like to feel my pinky (your right pinky) on the lower front of the grip below the other pinky. Those 3 contact points for my support hand are very important to me. My shooting hand has no problem gripping the same every time, but that support hand needs those reference points to keep the same position for each and every shot.

How much pressure on the grip? That depends on who you ask. I'll say firm, with your left hand pushing forward, and your right hand pulling back. That creates a natural vise to hold the gun steady. Many do not use push/pull. Instead, they suggest a clambshell effect of each hand's pressure from the sides. Both methods work and can be used at the same time :)

The biggest key is trigger pull. I like to think of it as coming straight back toward the rear sight. Start out shooting very slow. 30 seconds to take each shot, the trigger moving slow and steady. So slow, you don't know when the gun will fire. You don't want to know, instead the shot should be a surprise. Like a slow train moving down the tracks, you are adding pressure to the trigger until it "breaks".

After you learn a good trigger pull that does not move the gun at all, you then learn to speed the process up, keeping the surprise break concept in your pull.

Dry fire practise that steady trigger pull, so the front sight does not move at all.

Sight alignment is importantant. Straight line across the top of your sights, and even white space on each side of your front sight. Keep the front sight crisply in focus the whole time you are pulling the trigger. Keep the sights aligned and back on target after the shot, as your follow through. Then you can lower the gun down some at a 45 degree angle to rest between shots if you want.

For about 5 of your best shots in a row,what was your group size, and what was the distance?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

3. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Pretty good for a first range trip, I can tell just by the way you wrote your post... you're gonna be alright. Get some "snap caps" they are dummy bullets. Mix those in with your normal ammo when you shoot. You will be able to see if you are pulling shots by watching the way the sights jump. You are left handed? This will help:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You are not limp wristing, if no ejection problems. Limp wristing means not bracing enough at the wrist against the recoil, so that the slide can't come back briskly enough to work the gun.

I clean the both the interior and exterior metal with the same oil you have. I wipe the exterior very dry afterwards for gripping, however. I don't put any oil on the plastic grip area, but just wipe it clean with a dry cloth.

By the ejection port you might be seeing brass residue. Brass slams around on its way out. If your gun is too wet with oil, you might see dirty oil splatter marks, too. Some ammo is also cleaner burning than others.

5. Genin

Genin 19k & 11b

I am a fellow lefty. Here's my shooting position, feet shoulder width apart, knees bent, shoulders slightly rolled in, and a very high thumbs forward grip with my support hands thumb on the frame.

[​IMG]

6. Atluu

Atluu

Wow thank you do much guys. Appreciate all the advice.

I am also in the market for some decent ear protection. I need something that won't get in the way when I shoot rifles, specifically an AR-15. Also nothing too expensive also, most likely a best bang for your buck.

7. PROderboom

PROderboom

Watch how much force you put into the trigger when you fire. It should be a slow motion, very smooth. I corrected that and my accuracy at the range has increased.

8. Atluu

Atluu

Yeah it might have been the way I pulled the trigger. I did it rather fast. I k ow this is normal but my hand shakes alot. I remember reading something about how you breathe that helps you reduce the shaking.

9. Frank V

Frank V

If it were me, I'd try shooting off sandbags at the bench till I was really familar with my gun & how well it was shooting. It will also tell you how close to point of aim you gun is hitting.

I'm not sure, but I almost think the limpwristing thing is overblown. The reason is last year trying out a G19, I tried to get it to malfunction. I deliberatly held it as loosly as I could with one hand & not have it jump out of my hand. It never once malfunctioned. I was using Federal 125gr solids I'd bought at Wal-Mart. I simply could not make that gun malfunction. Of course I liked that. :wow:

I also know one gun & one test doesn't make it carved in stone. However it did get me to wondering about limpwristing, and I have seen other guns tied up with limp wristing as the cause when investigated.
    Frank

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

A shake of the gun isn't the worst thing. But if you try to find the instant of steadiness to suddenly pull the trigger, that will be the worst thing.

Instead, you will want to reduce the shake best you can, then mentally accept the amount of remaining movement, and then just work on sight alignment and proper trigger pull, steady and unhurried.

11. Frank V

Frank V

I shot NRA Pistol Bullseye for over 20 years. Deerslayer just described "trust your wobble area"! When the sights are on target press the trigger, when they move off, hold what you have & don't increase it, they will move back on then continue your press. You have to trust when your sights are on to continue your press. Your sights will never be completely still on target, but with practice you will get them to wobble within the target area you want to hit. Don't get the sights just where you want them & snatch the trigger. That is what I think Deerslayer is saying, and he's right on!
    Frank