close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 extraction problems

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by handyandy, Apr 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. handyandy

handyandy

I'm new to Glocks, but not to shooting, so please be patient. I recently installed a Glock "3.5#" connector into a fairly new 17 that had never given me so much as a hiccup in about 1K rounds. At the same time I also stripped and cleaned the slide. After that it felt like it was just a little harder to open than my other 17 and my 19. The difference was slight, so I figured it was just my imagination. I took it shooting and had multiple failures to extract. The spent casing would come about half way out as the slide continued back, stripping the next round and jamming it under the partially extracted round. This happened multiple times with multiple mags. The ammo was WWB 115 gr. FMJ, the same that has been through the gun flawlessy.

I took the trigger assembly back apart, everything looked good and clean. For comparison purposes I installed a Scherer 3.5# connector.

Inspection revealed no visible problems, the gun was clean and lubed with FP-10. The extractor looked fine and had full movement when pushed on. I took the slide apart and saw some very minor peening on the firing pin where it contacts the firing pin saftety plunger. There was no excessive lubrication in the firing pin/extractor area or dirt/powder residue.

I cleaned everything and put it back together. The extra resistance to the slide opening seems to be gone, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Any ideas on where I went wrong? I want to make this my home defense pistol, but not until I am confident that I know what caused the problem.

By the way, I love Glocks now and this pistol is a tack driver with the 3.5# connector. The 19 I just bought has an awesome stock trigger, so I'll leave it alone, it too is super accurate.

Thanks, Andy

2. RandySmith

RandySmith

Did you install the extractor depressor plunger correctly? (metal to metal and polymer to polymer)

Randy

3. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

That's what I'm thinking. I bet the spring in the plunger is in sideways. I bought a G19 from a guy at work, and it was doing the same thing. I stripped the slide and noticed the spring was installed incorrectly, which is easy to do.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

1. The one thing we can be sure of is this: The problem is NOT the connector - that has nothing at all to do with extracting, ejecting or the slide's function. If you trigger assembly is in the gun and the pin is through, I don't see a way that could be a problem unless you bent the ejector or trigger bar while you were working on it.

2. If the connector is the only new part, then the problem is with old parts. Since you just took it apart, the problem is most likely with the reassembly (since it's easier to put parts together wrong than to break them).

3. The extractor plunger and spring would affect extracting, but wouldn't affect how hard the slide is to pull back. If you are correct that the slide was harder to cycle and the gun is not extracting, the first common part I can think of is your recoil spring and guiderod. Did you somehow put the guiderod back in wrong, like not seating it against the barrel correctly? Then when you put it together again, maybe you did seat it correctly?

5. handyandy

handyandy

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I had the extractor spring and plungers assembled correctly. I did have the guide rod and recoil spring slightly off once and I couldn't even get the slide on until I straightened it out.

My hunch is that it has something to do with the firing pin safety plunger and the firing pin since I saw some light peening on that side of the firing pin where a notch is milled into it.

Is there a certain order to assemble the slide in?

Thanks, Andy

6. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Check the extractor where it engages the rim. If damaged replace it.

7. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

handy,

As long as you get the Safety spring in straight when you install the extractor your good to go.The peening on the FP is quite common,there are some mods you can do to the FP and FP safety to make them peen less but you have to had some metal working skills to do these mods.The FPS doesn't get pushed in quite far enough in some guns,which can slow the FP speed if the contact or resistance is to great.Check all your primers for soft hits,hits should be nice and deep.

8. bubba541

bubba541 CLM

Reading what you said is the problem would lead me to think the problem is the ejector not the extractor. You said it was coming back far enought to pick up the next round from the magazine. If the slide goes that far it already extracted the casing from the breech. Did you fiddle with or do anything to the ejector? Maybe dropped the frame?

9. handyandy

handyandy

I was thinking that the slide itself was pulling the case back until it the ejector. It ejected fine when it would extract the round and I didn't drop it. I could possibly have bent it when I was pushing out the pins to do the trigger connector. I'll look at it tomorrow. Thanks, Andy

10. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Almost sounds like the extractor claw is slipping over the case rim since the slide is making it rearward enough to strip a new round from the mag. Check for a chipped extractor claw. Could be that there's not enough inward spring tension on the extractor to cause the same type of slippage. A dirty chamber and/or out of spec brass(too wide O.D.) could potentially exaggerate this problem.

11. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Sounds like it. If the FP safety spring doesn't get that little 1/4 turn under pressure by your thumb (to make sure it stays inside the FP safety) as you put it in there, it can sometimes popout & be sitting in its well sideways, getting crunched everytime the gun cycles. It can pass all function checks but you'll notice the gnarliest cycling and trigger pull ever.

:patriot: