Glock 17: Captured vs Un-captured Recoil Guide Rod Asmbly

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Dennis Wallace, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Dennis Wallace

Dennis Wallace

I just bought a 17 Gen4 and would like to set it up for IDPA SSP. I reload so I can load to an efficient level for IDPA SSP. I think I need to have an RSA with 13# springs. I see a lot written on captured vs. un-captured springs. I don't understand the difference as I am new to IDPA and Glock. I don't want to reassemble an RSA in the field. Just when I think I have a grasp on understanding, I read where this particular guide rod can be assembled either captured or uncaptured. I think I need some advice here.

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Don't know where you got the idea that a 13lb spring is needed for IDPA, or what effiecient level means. Your ammo needs to meet the power floor for IDPA, which is 120 in SSP Division (bullet weight times muzzle velocity divided by 1,000). You could run an 11, 13, 15 lb spring or stay with the OEM 17lb. Aftermarket guide rods are usually captured (bolt and washer) but not always. Captured rods are just easier to take in and out. You can also run ISMI flat wound springs on the OEM guide rod.

Problem here is if you are new to both your Glock, and competition, then don't mess with anything, except sights and maybe a 3.5lb connector (which is legal for SSP). There is way, way, way more going on in the game than just gun and gear. Get a good holster (not an Uncle Mikes gun bag) like a CompTac or Blade Tech, a good belt like a Wilderness Tactical Instructors (not a wally world belt) 2 good single mag pouches (BladeTech/CompTac), and electric ears, Peltor Tac 6's. Make sure you have your fundamentals down: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Find your nearest club and get at least a dozen matches in before changing anything.

slamdunc and Dennis Wallace like this.

3. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

If you leave the retaining nut and washer off, it is un-captured. Again, you can do the same thing with the OEM guide rod by removing the little plastic retainer.

[​IMG]

Dennis Wallace likes this.
  4. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Wolff Gunsprings has round wire springs which will fit their max diameter guide rod.
    You will need the slide adapter bushing for your Gen 4 to run the Wolff system.

The ISMI springs are of flat wire like OEM and use a smaller diameter rod.
    They will not fit the Wolff rod.

5. Dennis Wallace

Dennis Wallace

Thanks for the help. My meaning of efficiency was a round with sufficient PF and accuracy but did not make the muzzle jump. This is the first 9mm I have shot. My other pistols are S&W 629 44 mag and Glock 30s. I was surprised at how soft my 17 shot with store-bought Winchester 115s.

6. usnret

usnret

Keep the OEM recoil spring. If you want softer shooting rounds, play with the bullet weight.

7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I forgot the stupid Gen 4's have that double spring RSA. You would be better off to get the single conversion. Now the ticket for soft shooting USPSA and IDPA Minor loads is to run either 147's or 160's. Get them just over about 128 and it will feel like shooting an AirSoft.

[​IMG]

8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

So usnret, what's your minor load recipe for IDPA? I run 124 gr TC Bayous on top of 3.4 grains of TG at 1.100" Goes about 1,050 fps. For one reason: price point on 124's vs 147's/160's. The recoil event doesn't bother me all as I also shoot a G31 in USPSA Major 9 Limited, that's a 125 gr going 1,380 fps. That has some recoil...

[​IMG]

9. usnret

usnret

I don't shoot IDPA(I Don't Practice Alot). I shoot mostly Steel Challenge and USPSA. For USPSA I run an open gun and shoot major 9mm. If I am running my PCC, I run a Bayou Bullet 160gr over 3.9grs of Ramshot silhouette.

10. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

good for you, I thought it was I don't practice anymore.... Whats your Major gun and your carbine?

11. usnret

usnret

Olympic PCC. My open is a gun I built up on a Glock 34.
    b22 (2).jpg

12. usnret

usnret

Actually I have 2 PCC's. the 9mm is the Oly gun and the 45ACP is an Oly upper and a NFA lower.

13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member