close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17/22

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Paun45, Oct 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Paun45

Paun45

Hey guys, im either gonna pick up a glock 17 or 22. I want to shoot IDPA with it and carry it to(CCW). what's your opinion on which one I should get. I'm used to shooting a Glock 21 so i don't think recoil of the .40. I'm just wondering how I can get the best of both worlds.

2. MarkP

MarkP

If you have reloading capability > the 22.

If not > the 17.

Using factory 40 against the mouse fart 9's isn't very popular among the IDPA crowd.

3. pangris

pangris Moderator

9mm - cheaper and easier to fire, and if you are a serious shooter, 9 is fine. It will do the job with proper shot placement.

I personally like the .45 with the G21 being my all time favorite. I find the .40 snappy in recoil, and harder to shoot than a .45 or 9mm.

YMMV.

4. Nathan2003

Nathan2003 Wanna Cookie?

I would suggest the G22. Thats what I carry for work and use for USPSA. Once you practice and get used to it you wont be bothered by the .40 recoil.

For CCW the .40 is a much better round then the 9micky mouse. :)

I was a big fan of the 9mm until I started shooting the .40. No all I buy is the .40.

5. Paun45

Paun45

Do you have any mods. on your 22?

6. pangris

pangris Moderator

For self defense, a 9 minimeter well placed will bury as many people as a well placed .40, and a well placed .45. No magic bullets. You want to stop them for sure, use a shoulder mounted weapon that generates in excess of 3,000 ft/lbs.

I used to fight the caliber wars. Now as long as it is reliable and bigger than a .38 it will do for EDC. Training and research will eventually convince you that there is no sure shot, save for the 50 BMG.

Shoot both and get what works for you.

Paul

7. JBA111

JBA111

Pangris hit the nail on the head for the caliber arguement.
    I shoot Idpa and shoot the 40 very good, but the G17 I really can shoot great and very very fast. The 17 is just one fun gun to shoot.

8. Nathan2003

Nathan2003 Wanna Cookie?

Other then the A-Grip and the $.25 trigger job nope.

Pangris: Im not trying to bash the 9mm. When it first came out it was the new rave, then S&W came out with the .40 and that was the new thing. If I could I would love to carry a .45ACP but my Agency wont let me. I agree that a well placed shot will stop a person regardless of caliber. I however, prefer a heavier bullet then the 9mm.

JBA111: The reason I shoot the .40 at IPSC is b/c its what I carry, what I love to shoot and the ammo is free! I have a few hundred rounds of 9mm and they are fun to shoot but I practice with what I carry. Some shoot Competition for points, I shoot for practice.

9. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

The choice for me would come down to reloading. If you are going to get into compeittion (and you shuld...fun and informative), then you will be shoot a lot. Factory 40 will cost you twice as much as reloading.

If you aren't gioing to reload...it's hard to beat 9mm cost.