Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kind of stuck right now between getting a Glock 17 or an M&P9. The ONLY doubt I have about owning the Glock is ergonomics. I owned one before, but sold it before I even fired it as I was under the impression that I could not grip it with proper form. The dimensions of my hands are as follows:

- 7" from bottom edge of palm to tip of middle finger
- 3" of that is finger length

- 6 3/4" from bottom edge of palm to tip of index finger
- 2 5/8" of that is finger length

Here are some pics that I took of how I end up having to grip the gun:

As you can see, you cannot draw a straight line from the axis of the bore that runs down the centre of my arm, which from what I have read, is the 'proper' or 'textbook' technique that dampens a lot of the recoil. but is mine 'close enough'? I also don't have all that much 'slack' in my trigger finger. My hand size allows me to pull the trigger using only the last half of my finger pad, which from what some say is the right way.

All considering... what do you guys think? If from my pictures you think that my form will hinder my shooting ability, or my ability to do double taps which I would LOVE to learn then maybe I will pass. I have shot a G22, only at bowling pins at about 8 yards, but I knocked them all down with one shot at a brisk pace, and that gun was equipped with a Hogue Handall making the grip even thicker.

Do I just adapt my technique to the gun? The S&W just seems to be having too many problems right now, and the Glock is a proven workhorse.

Anyone who loves and shoots their G17/G22 well hand my same hand measurements?

PS - I don't ever plan to compete IPSC or anything serious, just fun club matches, and we cannot carry here in Canada, it would be solely a range gun, but I would still like to become a skilled handgun shooter regardless..

Thanks in advance!! :supergrin:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
All I can say (Since I only got the 19) is get the Glock and work at your grip. When fast drawing my 19 it would point down and I'd need a second to get the sights back up but after a week or so of practicing I can finally draw straight.

EDIT: Also dry firing practice will help get a proper grip fast.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your hands are fine for a glock. I think I notice a little space between the back of the gun and your hand. It's best to put your hand as high up on the back end of the as possible, and I let my thumb rest on the slidestop. This manages recoil well. Also get a grip sleeve like a Houge. Practice drawing and shooting with that. It will make the handle really fat but when you take it off after a couple of weeks it will seem like the Glock handle is a single stack.
Personally I don't really care how the gun feels in my hand. I care about reliabilty before anything in a defensive handgun and That's why I use Glock.

·
Build the Wall
10,258 Posts
We have the EXACT same size hands and I love both my G17 and G22!!!

They feel great and I shoot both very well. I love the look AND feel of Glock pistols, so take that for what it's worth (most people HATE the look of Glock pistols and tolerate how they feel).

I say get the Glock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took these today for posting in another thread:

·
Stiffy
7,711 Posts
My hands are a little bigger than yours (7 1/2 " ) but my g23 fits me quite well.All I can say is go with what feels right for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for all the advice so far guys! Another question I have is I qualify for LEO pricing up here due to my medic license. So I can get a G17 equipped with steel Trijicon night sights for only $50 more than a standard Glock with the plastic sights.

Is it worth the extra $50 to upgrade to the Trijicons, or would you guys recommend saving the $50 and using the factory sights?

·
NRA Member
1,115 Posts
For only $50. more I would definitely get the night sights. The metal will be more durable as well. It also depends however, on what kind of sights you like and/or are used to. I have used meprolights for a long time, but am gradually starting to lean toward sights like heinie straight eights or Trijicon Novak's for my Glock's, simply because I like the daytime sight picture better (more light around the front sight post).

·
"To The Point"
1,230 Posts
"...the last half of my finger pad, which from what some say is the right way."

"Some say" is the operative here! Have large hands and... very long fingers...forearm never lines-up with center-line of slide, etc. What counts is that one never breaks the wrist.

Glock is still essentially a "revolver trigger", best pulled with the 1st or distal joint of the finger.
There's no lack of "Chest-Thumping" about using only the "swirl" of the finger-pad on this one, but it's markedly easier to "learn" their funky trigger the other way. :upeyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
you don't want to use anything but the very tip of your finger to pull the trigger. If you don't it makes your knuckle pop the gun up when shooting. The tip of your finger will not engage the knuckle when shooting and will keep the muzzle straight.

·
Build the Wall
10,258 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Jackson, but I am in Canada... and officially jealous :p
It is we who are jealous......you all can still import Norinco firearms!!!!!

I would kill (not really:supergrin:) for a Norinco M-14 and 1911:wow:!!!

The AKs I have already:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts