close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17, 19 or 34 for IDPA

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mollow, Mar 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. mollow

mollow

I've been shooting a Walther P99 QA for the last 6 months. Yesterday I borrowed someone's Glock 19 and was amazed at my ability (or the Glock's) to come right back on target effortlessly. Will I be sacrificing the ability to do this fast if I decide to buy the 17 or even 34? I know the trigger on the 34 is lighter, but assuming eveything else is the same, is it harder to get back your sight picture with a greater distance between sights? I shoot IDPA, so accuracy is important, but not dead-on accuracy.

2. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

There are darn few G19s used by competitive IDPA shooters, most you see are being shot by people exercising their carry guns. A short sight radius has got more disadvantages than a smidgen faster APPARENT return to target. It just looks quick because it is coarse.
    Technique and practice are the keys. Most serious IDPA Glockers use G34s, some G17s. (Not counting the .40 shooters who consider that a light loaded .40 has less disturbing recoil than a 9mm.)

3. mollow

mollow

Hey Jim,

Good to hear from you again and thanks for the response.

Mike

4. DanV1317

DanV1317 GlockMeBeutiful

If you're going to be using it just for IDPA, then hell, get the g34. I am in the process of purchasing one myself. i got a g17 as my first gun, shot that for a year in IDPA and did fairly well. I think got a g19 for a CCW followed by a 26 for the hell of it, and now getting a g34 that i will use just for competitions. Throw some nice sights on it and you're ready to go. Really anything to get you trigger time will help you out.

5. 2cats

2cats Millennium Member

As a shameless gamer, I feel that the 34 is a shameless gamer's gun. That's why I shot a 17 when I shot Glocks. I started with a 19, but I needed a longer grip to hang on to - it really didn't have much to do with the sight radius or size of the top end.

6. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

I use a 26 for SSP and a 19 for ESP. Pick what you shoot best or you feel your needs are.

The 19 will if you can and IDPA range limits are that any Glock will be fine.

Most folks will be be best served with a 17. Some see the compacts as being a disadvantage I see the 34 having disadvantages and folks using them for a cruch for lack of training and practice.

Shoot what you want and use the shooting sports as a ruler as to how well you are doing. Now if you win that is a good thing to, but dont lose sight of your reasons for shooting action pistol. If it is to win - I suggest give the 17 a try or even a 34, but if the 19 works well and that is what you want to use - use it - it will serve you just as well as the others and for me better and maybe for you too. I always suggest to try before you buy to see what works for you.

Hear we have more compact Glocks than P/Ts or full size. The P/Ts don't usally win. Place well yes but a P/T is not a fix all for lack of skill.

Compacts being coarse? Not at all. Not even with my Big Dots.

sb

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The 34's and 35's are popular enough in law enforcment that I would hesitate to call it a gamer's gun, but it does seem to be THE competitive advantage in SSP.

mollow, with equal skill and not yet being dedicated to either gun, you will shoot better with the G34 BECAUSE of the distance between the sights - more sight radius = less aiming error. I normally shoot a G17 and my wife shoots a G34 - last year I practiced with the G17 for a law enforcement competition that involved a lot of one handed shooting and shooting out to 50 yards. On match day, without having ever practiced with it, I borrowed my wife's G34. At the match, I shot the course twice, to win the 1st place individual and the "top gun" trophy, after a shoot-off with the other top individuals, and had scores both times that were 10-15% better than my best G17 score in practice.

8. mollow

mollow

Thanks guys... that's the answer... get the 17 for me and the 34 for my wife!

9. D.R.Middlebrook

D.R.Middlebrook

To answer the question from a more scientific perspective, on the Tactical Shooting Association (TSA) classifier the performance difference between the G19 and the G17 is about 4 seconds (max) and the difference between the G17 and the G34 is about 4 seconds again.

This is of course in the hands of Grand Masters and National & World Champion shooters. Here is more information on the breakdown of scores (taken from the TSA Rulebook):

10. Shooter Classifications

10.1 TSA Shooter Classifications: TSA competitors will be divided into (6) shooter classifications based upon their performance on the TSA Classifier Match (TSAC1) and/or their performance at MAJOR TSA matches. Classifications are based upon a percentage of the Top Grand Master Scores submitted for each handgun division. The times and classifications for the respective divisions are as follows:

Full-size Pistol (FP) Division Classifier Numbers

Grand Master (GM) = Less than 70 seconds

Master (MA) = Less than 85 seconds

Expert (EX) = Less than 105 seconds

Sharpshooter (SS) = Less than 135 seconds

Marksman (MM) = Less than 195 seconds

Novice (NV) = More than 195 seconds

Unclassified (UC) Not eligible for prizes

Mid-size Pistol (MP) Division Classifier Numbers

Grand Master (GM) = Less than 74 seconds

Master (MA) = Less than 90 seconds

Expert (EX) = Less than 111 seconds

Sharpshooter (SS) = Less than 143 seconds

Marksman (MM) = Less than 207 seconds

Novice (NV) = More than 207 seconds

Unclassified (UC) = Not eligible for prizes

Compact Pistol (CP) Division Classifier Numbers

Grand Master (GM) = Less than 78 seconds

Master (MA) = Less than 95 seconds

Expert (EX) = Less than 118 seconds

Sharpshooter (SS) = Less than 151 seconds

Marksman (MM) = Less than 218 seconds

Novice (NV) = More than 218 seconds

Unclassified (UC) = Not eligible for prizes

Hope this info helps...

www.TacticalShooting.com

10. Flr50

Flr50

Just picked up my 34 today. I have went back and forth on getting one. I have the 17 and love to shoot it but reading all of the various post I felt like I was missing something not having the 34. I have not had the chance to take it to the range yet, but I know it feels a little more balanced in my hand than the 17. I can't wait...

11. ducati

ducati

I decided to use my g19 this year for IDPA. Shot first match with it this morning. I am happy with its peformance. Its The jerk behind the trigger I wasn't to happy with.

12. shootingbuff

Sounds pretty much what everyone is saying backs up my assessment. Last match wierd sights, and fighting a pinched nerve dropped 2 points for six rounds (Bill Drill) at 25 yards with a 26. Yep those short guns sure handicap you a bunch.

Lucky for me there are no 50 yard targets and 25 is rare for this club or I would have to practice at that range.

There is a big difference between IDPA ranges and 50 + yard stages for some other match.

Compacts are more than enough for IDPA.

sb

13. mollow

mollow

I ordered the 17 today. I think I'm going to be happy with it. 470.00 nib at Wolverine Shooting Sports

14. shootingbuff

Around here that is one heck of a deal. I think you will get a lot of milage out of the 17. Enjoy.

sb