Glock Talk banner

Glock 1594-01 Gen4 Magazine

23540 Views 16 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  cowboy1964
I recently purchased a Blue Label gen 4 19 and it came with (2) different style of magazines. One has Glock Austria on the back with (2) notches on the side on the front and a notch in the middle. (2) of the notches have metal showing. The other (2) magazines have 1594-01 in place of the Austria name. The font on the magazines are different than the Austria one and the front of the magazine only has the (2) side notches and not the middle one. Can anyone shed some light on why the changes were made? I'm assuming they are factory glock magazines since they came from the dealer but just thought I'd ask.

Metal
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
5,375 Posts
I have three of those from a Gen4 19 made in Feb '15.

I think they're just made in USA mags.

I think they look a lot better than the ones with the metal exposed cut-outs...

· Registered
273 Posts
The metal cut out in the front portion of the magazine is the previous version that would have been Glocks first attempt at an ambi mag release that did not work out and was scrapped and redesigned and upgraded to the new and improved version of the ambi mag release system which is now known as the gen 4.

· Registered
4,396 Posts
I think what you are seeing with the different Gen4 mags is that they are now manufactured in two different styles, both have two notches but, no metal showing through one. Here is my understanding of the two styles:

1) No Part Number, Austria imprinted on back and steel showing. I believe these are considered the "Fully metal-lined, drop free" style.

2) Part Number 1594-01 imprinted on back and no steel showing. I believe these are considered the "Non fully metal-lined, non drop free" style.

Glock appears to be currently shipping both styles from what I've seen. I bought a G19 MOS a few months back, came with Style #1. Bought a G19 Gen4 yesterday, came with Style #2. Go figure.

· Registered
4,396 Posts
Where did you get this information?
Because it is wrong
FAQ on Cheaper Then Dirt's Shooters Log. It made sense when I read it, perhaps not. It was inline in my mind with both mags showing up in recently manufactured G19's.

So is it simply, the old and the new?

· Registered
4,396 Posts
For what it's worth, this was the FAQ I referenced:

15) I have several magazines for my Glock. Some will drop free when the magazine release is pushed and some won’t. Why is this?
A: There are 2 basic styles of Glock magazines. These are the non fully metal-lined, non-drop free and the fully metal-lined drop-free. Military and law enforcement in Europe think differently about magazines dropping free from a gun than we do in the U.S. They believe that retaining the magazine for reuse and not dropping a magazine that still has rounds in it is more important than a quick reload. The early generation Glock magazines were not fully metal-lined and were designed to swell slightly when loaded. This forced the shooter to pull the magazine free from the gun. U.S. law enforcement and civilian shooters prefer their magazines to drop out of the gun when the magazine released is depressed, so Glock updated their magazines to being fully metal-lined. This prevented the magazine from swelling when loaded and allowed it to drop free when depressing the magazine release.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum and 1st post.

So I got a blue label G19 gen4. In the box I received 1-Metal showing mag(Austria) and 2 - 1594-01 mags.

I'm left handed and flip the mag release. After about 1000 rounds I stop getting slide lock with the Austria mag. Has this happens with anyone else who has or hasn't flipped the mag release?

Idk if it has something to do with the lefty flip and/or that the Follow comes up higher on the 1594-01 mags.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

· Semper Fi! - TSRA & NRA Life Member, GSSF Member
112 Posts
Will any generation of a G17 magazine work in any generation G17? Are the current generation of magazine truly any better than previous ones, and if so, what is the best model number magazine to purchase for a G17, 4th generation?

· Registered
2 Posts
Will any generation of a G17 magazine work in any generation G17? Are the current generation of magazine truly any better than previous ones, and if so, what is the best model number magazine to purchase for a G17, 4th generation?
From my understanding. If your right handed you can use any glock magazine that fits the 17. If you flip the mag release, then you can only use gen4 magazines.

· Registered
300 Posts
Back when Gen 3 happened with the frame rails, some of the 17 Gen 1 & Gen 2 mags wouldn't work in the new guns. There were several mag and follower updates to correct. All my Gen 2 19/17 std capacity mags came with the square notch, full metal lining with the # 3206 on the baseplate, and I bought a box full of the same as spares during the 10 rnd Klinton era. Have no idea if they would work in Gen 4 17s or if latest Gen 4 mags work in Gen 2 17s.

The answer would be to buy the latest mags which have been issued for the Gen 4 17.

· Registered
33,968 Posts
I just bought 6 G19 mags and they say the 1594-01 thing. I also noticed that the back of the mag right behind the follower (where it says 9mm) has a "bump" to it. I checked older mags and they are perfectly flat. Don't think it will be an issue but can anyone else confirm their 1594-01 mags have the bump or are flat? I can post a pic but I'm not sure you could even see the bump, it is that subtle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.