close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 10mm feeding reliability?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by twisty, Nov 20, 2011.

1. twisty

twisty

With the recent kaboom stories coming out would some of you with glock 10mm's and aftermarket barrels please share what barrel you have and any feeding issues you may have had...

I am NOT ASKING why any particular gun blew up, nor do I care why it blew up, on this forum or in the real world. All I am asking is for people who have aftermarket barrels in their guns please let us know what brand of barrel you have and your experience with it as far as feeding reliability goes. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. cablecutter

cablecutter

10mm's don't kaboom if you if you dont do anything stupid. That story you read about the kaboom, there was numerous things he did that was wrong and he knew his gun was not safe. I have a G29 and a stock barrel and I reload all my rounds and I have about 1000 rounds in my never a problem with reliability or kabooms.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

Yes, his OEM barrel that came with his Glock had a chamber that was extremely loose. Check your barrel. You might need to upgrade your barrel like he did.

4. Black Smoke Trail

Black Smoke Trail

I have both the OEM and Lone Wolf Extended 2 port barrel. The OEM barrel will pretty much digest anything but the chamber is not fully supported making it perhaps limited in the consumption of hotter rounds.

The Lone Wolf barrel when I first got it would NOT function or feed ANYTHING. I had to send it back and their armorer did work on the feed ram and chamber edges. It now function flawlessly.

5. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

That's crap. Oversized chambers don't cause kabooms, that makes no sense whatsoever. Over-charged or over-pressured rounds cause kabooms, nothing else.

6. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

I seriously doubt it. His "problem barrel" is in a gen 2 G20 from 1994. Any more recently produced Glock 10mm pistol you buy will have a chamber with better case support.

7. Sierra9

Sierra9

No feeding issues with my stock G29 with any kind of ammo, including my reloads.

8. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Second2None

I have a Gen2 G20 from 1994 and it has function with everything from American Eagle to Blazer to Hornady to Underwood to DoubleTap to Swampfox with out a single issue or barely even a Glock smile. My chamber looks almost identical to the guy's who went Kaboom too. I still think it was the ammo he was using that caused it.

9. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

I don't know if his Gen 2 barrel is/was the problem, but I would not shoot any of my nuclear loads out of my Gen 3 stock barrel even though the Gen 3 barrel is a tad bit tighter than the Gen 2. I believe he was shooting DT rounds out of his barrel which could've been the problem.

I bought and use the Lone Wolf barrel for my hot woods carry and medium range loads to perserve my brass. At first I had major feeding issues even with factory stuff I tried. It took some time and patience to get down and figure out which bullet profile and at which OAL it fed reliably. Some people will send their barrels back to have the chamber opened up to feed reliably.

10. cciman

cciman

That is partially correct. It is mostly the ammo. Some guns, by luck, will handle very hot loads without issue. But if you cram the bullet too tight into the case, and overload the charge...?

Statistically, its about the numbers, eventually you may hit a jackpot, or never. There is a compromise-- too "tight" a barrel will cause feeding and ejection issues.

You need the perfect storm: Unfortunately for that guy, he did.

Why would you need a hotter 10mm anyways?

11. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

That is probably why Glock has significantly tightened up their chambers since Gen2. For no reason I guess.:yawn:

CCIman hit the nail on the head. Chambers have to run the line between too tight and too loose. Too tight and reliability goes out the window. Too loose and you no longer have the ability to shoot the hot 10mm ammo (Doubletap, Buffalo Bore). Mind you those two still meet SAAMI spec 37,500 PSI.

If it requires more pressure to get that bullet down the barrel, pressure always finds the path of least resistance and it will blow out at the weakest point.

12. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

I have a G20SF, had it about a year. I have about 4,000 rounds thru it now, 150 of them was factory ammo and the rest reloads. My Glock is stock except for night sights. I have not had a problem with either factory or reloads.
    Damn fine handgun! :supergrin:

13. twisty

twisty

I actually was not asking about the guys "Kaboom" or what may have caused it. My question to people is those who have aftermarket barrels in their glocks, how good is the feeding reliability with that aftermarket barrel installed. I asked nothing about "that guy's barrel" or what would cause a failure of that sort. I know what can cause it, I just wanted to know how reliably some people's guns are feeding with various brands of aftermarket barrel. Please read the question before posting.

14. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Second2None

maybe you should edit your post and leave out the mentioning of the Kaboom. If you want reliability the stock barrel is the best. If you want durability then get an aftermarket.

15. twisty

twisty

Wow, answering a simple question is just too hard for some people I guess.

16. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

KKM 6" SS barrel here ... it is wonderful.

17. easyj75

easyj75

wow, asking a simple question is just too hard for some people i guess.. seriously dude

18. themiller

themiller

Lol. Welcome to GNC. All sorts of internet kiddies want to prove their awesomeness by ignoring what you asked for and only responding with what they "know".

Of course, you'll also be ridiculed until your postcount is 10,000+, but just stay around. It's more fun than cable tv.

19. dryfly

dryfly Platinum Member

Why so many issues with the 10mm LWD barrels similar to mine and then you gotta send it back for work is what I would like to know. If LWD didnt get it right the first time why should I trust them a second time knowing I wasnt the only one with feed problems?

I am shooting Swamp Fox and BB high velocity ammo with stock barrel and spring no issues. I will try KKM next when trying SF full supoort chamber ammo...

20. offsidewing

offsidewing

If I load my rounds within the 1.250-1.260 OAL and have an appropriate taper crimp, there are no problems with my LWD barrels. The only feeding issue I've ever had are when I knowlingly loaded longer than 1.260 or got sloppy with the crimp some GDHPs. Even then, it was only 2 rounds out of 1000's. I fire 200gr XTPs over 9.4gr of 800X and the fired cases still fit in the case gauge with my LWD barrels.