close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 10 mm and/or Glock .357 SIG

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by K3XQ, Dec 28, 2005.

1. K3XQ

K3XQ

Soon I will buy a Glock in order to participate in the retired officers CCW program. Today, I went to a local Glock dealer and one of the guys could not answer any of my Glock questions. He referred to the "internet, Glock web site, and other souces. I told him I had done that before I came to his store and my lack of learning prompted me to appear at his store seeking answers..

The facts are that he did NOT have a clue to the answers to my questions. It will be a COLD day in hell when I go back into that store as all the sales people seem to be totally uneducated. Anyway... :)

So, I go ask my questions to the experts; y'all who are owners and users of the Glock. I have narrowed down my choices to a Glock 10mm #20 or a .357 SIG. #31. Could you knowledgable guys compare these two calibres so, I may understand the issues I must decide? I am interested in the power assessment of these two calibres, as well as 'knock down' power etc.. Also I invite an ammo discussion of the two calibres as well.

Also, I was told more than a year ago by some on this forum that I could make a Glock 10 mm in to a .357 SIG by changing barrels and i was informed of a company that sold these parts, (not Glock) If any of you know the name of that company or their website, please advise me..

I changed from a Windows computer to a Apple PowerMac, and lost all my previous data. OH! BTW,when I got a Mac computer, since that time, I have had zero computer problems. :)

Thank you all ! Russell

2. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

3. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

oops, that was .357 mag. My bad. Anyways, poke around in caliber corner. You will find lots of good stuff.

-Lonnie

4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

The G20 and G29 can shoot 10mm and .357 Sig with just a barrel change.
    That is the way to go, if you want both.

The 10mm has more options in bullet weights.
    Enjoy.

5. PaleGreenHorse

PaleGreenHorse 10mm

For concealed carry I would not recommend either. The G32 would be perfect if you like midsize frames. The G33 would be nice if you like subcompacts and the G29 if you like the best of both. You picked my 2 favorite calibers for autos so its not easy for me to choose but versatility and terminal performance gives the 10mm the advantage over the 357sig. IMHO you cant go wrong with either and as stated above a simple barrel swap will transform your 10mm into a 357sig, not to mention a .40sw and a 9x25dillon. PGH~

6. kn38ms

kn38ms Glockaholic

CCW... G29 Lots of ammo choices for certain apllications.
    Great ballistics/ performance in a VERY concealable size.
    I have a G30 (same size). It just melts into your waist.
    A 29 is on my wish list.

7. G-Bone

G-Bone the 29 is fine

Both excellent CCW calibers IMHO!

I have gone the way of the 10mm for most occasions, Glock 29 is my choice of CCW.

You can fire 357 SIG with a barrel swap, but to me it is silly to carry a larger frame firearm than you need to. If it where me I would go with the gun/caliber that Glock built them for.

Good Luck !!

8. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Heres some #'s for comparison via Mike McNett of Double Tap:
    He loads hot.

DoubleTap .357 Sig
    125gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1450fps - 14.5" / .66"

DoubleTap 10mm
    135gr JHP @ 1600fps - 11.0" / .70" frag nasty
    155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1475fps - 13.5" / .88"
    165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 14.25" / 1.02"
    165gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1425fps - 14.75" / .82"
    180gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1330fps - 16.0" / .85"
    180gr XTP @ 1350fps – 17.25” / .77”
    180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1300fps - 15.25" / .96"
    200gr XTP @ 1250fps - 19.5" / .72"

If you're only considering fullsize go for the gold and get G20. It's no harder to conceal than a fullsized 1911. The only reason I'd consider a .357sig is perhaps in a compact size like the 32 because it's thinner than a 20 or 29 as is the grip (a Hogue slip on all Glocks make 'em feel right to me though). The only sure fire way for you to know what's best is try to locate a range than rents glocks or find someone who'll let you shoot theirs.

With 20 you can get a barrel to shoot .357sig and a barrel to shoot .40s&w, with a 31 you can get a barrel to shoot .40s&w and a barrel to shoot 9mm. Also with the 20 you could (if you have the money burning a hole in your wallet) pick up a Lone Wolf 20/21 Longslide and some 6" barrels for some fun 10mm and .45acp shootin'.

9. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

The gun choice itself, that's going tob be more for you to determine as far as size,weight, feel, all of that good stuff, and I'm sure you have some familiarity with guns in general since you are ret LEO. ( I'm assuming from your first post )

But on the cartridge note, I believe the 10mm is way more versatile than the .357 sig and it is more comparable to the .41 mag as far as punch, the nice thing about a G20, as an example, is that it will hold 16 rounds. So in a package roughly the size of a 1911, you will have something that hits harder than a .357 mag, has a larger diameter than .357 and still holds 16 rnds. And with the lovely offerings that Double Tap has to offer you can take anything from bad guys to white tale. I wouldn't even bother with the .357 sig.

Yes I am a little biased because I have a G20 10mm, but then again, I could have bought a .357 sig instead... but the reason I didn't... see above.

10. K3XQ

K3XQ

YEP ! I agree. Yes, I am retired from Metropolitan Police, Washinton DC.
    I intend to participate in the retired officers CCW program. I am well versed on revolvers, but I know little about Glocks. I was retired a few years when my department went to Glocks. (9 mm). Along the way, I have learned some about Glocks and few other semi-auto pistols. Also, I have learned a lot about 10 mm on this forum.

Also, from what I have learned, that DoubleTap ammo is simply the best defense ammo. What ammo do you carry? (Brand and 10 mm bullet weight and name)

Have you heard about the DT 230 gr. Equilizer that carries two projectiles ? ( Please feel free to comment all LEO'a and other members) If anybody knows about the above ammo, I would appreciate hearing about it and also the 10 mm type ( bullet weight and name of DT ammo (Regular, Gold Dot, etc. and why you chose this ammo for CCW)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY, CHEERS, Russell

11. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I own a G-32 and a G-29. I have not shot or carried the G-32 in a long time....The 10mm is just amazing. I carry 135 Double Tap ammo in my G-29. I did some informal testing with this combo. All I have to say is that it was jaw dropping performance. My father was there as well during the informal testing, he is a big 357 mag man. He was shocked with its performance as well.

12. ShootNMove

ShootNMove concealed

+1 to the G29 for concealed carry

+1 to 10mm being more versatile

+1 to no more computer problems b/c I have a Mac, too!

If I had to carry a gun that wasn't a 10mm, it'd probably be the G33. It is really small and 357 sig is the next best thing to 10mm, but not a 'close' second IMO. The really good thing about the the 357 Sig is the velocity, but it's a light bullet. You can get 10mm loads that are heavier and faster than 357 Sig. 10mm all the way!!!

13. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

2 things I don't like about the equalizer:

The review on gunblast said there were some failures to feed in the g20, but that could have just been the gun, I can't really pass judgement because of this, it just does not give me a warm fuzzy is all.

The other thing is that the ball penetrates like 17" in ballistic gel, that's just a little to much for my personal needs.

14. Coogan

Coogan Original "G"

Welcome to the club! You will now wonder why you didn't switch sooner! (With OS X, at least!)

What system did you get?

15. K3XQ

K3XQ

Well that is kinda a long story. I was in Windows since 3.0 and DOS. What a disaster on all the Windows, with the mild exception of Windows 2000 Pro, which I had....Real dog, but not as bad as the others. Why did I not get OS X sooner. I did not have the money. Along with my PowerMac 2.5 Gig Dual processor and now Tiger, I was able to buy a professional grade Cello, a car, and paid off all my bills. (retro-active pay raise) Jesus certainly has blest me !!!!

Since, just 4 weeks ago, I rented a Viola. In two weeks time, I was playing prettty good at church with the Viola as well as the Cello. (I had the Cello two years.) I go to church tomorrow night, and will only take my Viola.....Cello pretty big. :) I now can, in just a day or so over 4 weeks, I can play all the song on a Viola that I could on a Cello ( most of the song in our hymnal.) However, I kinda cheated....the Viola strings are the same as a Cello, but an octave higher.... :)

I also have the Apple AirPort which I send the music from my computer to my Carver and Bose (speakers) system. So I can play iTunes on my better grade home 5 surround sound with Veledyne Sub. I also have Bose speakers on my compute, but no subwoofer. ( I have a lota iTunes from the songs I heard as a boy....Ernest Tubb, Eddie Arnold, Johnny Cash, Roy Acuff, Gene Autry, etc. etc. (Many others)

I, BTW, have decided on some thing re: CCW. Glock 20 and some type of Double Tap ammo. In my never to be humble opinion I just can NOT do better than that. If you want to communicate via e-mail, my address is: K3XQ@mac.com Russell PS: I am retired Metropolitan Police Wash. DC.