close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Global warming my butt

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by repooc, Jan 2, 2010.

1. repooc

repooc Millennium Member

2. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

Central Florida is reportedly in for History making Cold weather beginning tonight and into the next week.

:wow:

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

I got the hot tub all warmed up. :) In Central FL the window to use it is not big IMO so I better use it when I can.

The Global Warming Community already covered this...... Didn't you see The Day After Tomorrow. The Global Warming will lead to us freezing. :faint:

Talking about hedging your bets.....

4. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=adEgGRWjmUdA

U.S. East Coast Faces Deep Freeze; Florida Oranges Threatened
    Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A

By Dan Hart

Jan. 2 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. East Coast faces the coldest night of the season as frigid air spills south and threatens agriculture in Georgia, Alabama and the orange crop in Florida.

Freeze warnings were posted by the National Weather Service as far south as the Orlando area, which may be as many as 20 degrees below normal tonight, the National Weather Service said. The advisory alerts growers that subfreezing temperatures are imminent and may kill crops or other sensitive vegetation.

Tampa and others cities in the central part of the state are under a freeze warning from 1 a.m. to 9 a.m. local time tomorrow. Temperatures may fall below 32 degrees Fahrenheit (zero Celsius) for more than three consecutive hours, the National Weather Service in Tampa said on its Web site.

“This is a pretty significant cold snap,” Matt Keefe, a meteorologist with AccuWeather.com Inc. in State College, Pennsylvania, said in a telephone interview. “This could really put a hurting on the citrus crop.” He said the jet stream, which normally keeps the coldest air north of the Hudson Bay in Canada, is centered over parts of Alabama and Mississippi. “The cold temperatures could last for a good part of the week,” he said.

Jacksonville, Florida, may see a record low tonight, Keefe said. The Miami area will see temperatures 12 degrees to 13 degrees below normal for this time of year, Keefe said.

Tonight will be the coldest and offer the greatest danger of crop damage, Keefe said. The next chance for freezing will come next week.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture last month estimated Florida’s orange crop will be 0.7 percent smaller than earlier forecast because adverse weather reduced fruit size.

In New York, overnight lows may be 22 degrees, with wind chills dropping the experience to single digits. Philadelphia may see a low of 20 degrees, Keefe said. Washington may slip to 19 degrees, he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Hart in Washington at dahart@bloomberg.net
    ===========================================================================================
    Wind Chill map:

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/uschill.gif

5. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

No it's not! :rofl: Sounds like a good plan!

Yeah I did! :shocked:

6. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

8 degrees here with a wind chill of -4

7. Zapfenstreich

Zapfenstreich oh, come on!

AllanC will be all over this thread, telling you that it's not Global Warming, it's "Man-made Climate Change"... in other words, it doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold, it's still the fault of evil white men in SUVs like you.

;)

And me.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  8. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

The sun goes through regular cycles of relatively more and less activity.

The sun is in a period of relative inactivity right now.

As a result, it not only sends us a fraction less direct heat energy, but its slightly diminished solar wind also sweeps away fewer of the ionized particles coming at the earth from deep space. These particles then hit the upper atmosphere of the earth in the tropics, and cause more high-altitude clouds to form there. These clouds act like window shades, blocking some incoming sun. The result is colder weather.

When the sun is in a period of relatively more activity, as it was back in the warmer 1990s, the opposite effects occur: somewhat more direct heat reaches earth, and more solar wind sweeps away the ionized particles that would otherwise seed high altitude clouds. The result is warmer weather.

This solar cycle -- not CO2 or cow farts or other MMGW nonsense -- is responsible for our variations in climate.

If the sun were to stay as quiet as it is right now, for decades, we'd have a new ice age....

-ET

9. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

Exactly and Thank you.

10. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

There is also a 30-year current cycle in the Atlantic Ocean that alternates between bringing the East Coast of the U.S., and the British Isles, alternately colder or warmer winters.

It brought us relatively warmer winters from 1970 until 2000.

So, it is currently 10 years into its most recent cold cycle.

Thus, we are going to be stuck with generally colder and colder winters for the next 10 years, until the Atlantic Cycle starts to moderate again in 2020.

I remember the Upstate New York winters of the last cold cycle -- 1940 to 1970 (I grew up in the late 1960s).

And let me tell you -- they were COLD and they were SNOWY.

1970 to 2000 really spoiled us from knowing what true winters can be.

-ET

11. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

Stop bragging. Our high today was -3.

This is exactly the same weather that we had in 2000. Record snowfall in december, and sub zero temps the week after xmas. To the day this is exactly the same.

12. plasticpistol

plasticpistol

I figure when cap and trade passes it'll cost me $200 extra a month. I can't wait! F U obama!

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

-20 in my home town right now. -44 wind chill. :cold:

I'm so glad to be in Florida...

14. RaptorFuel

RaptorFuel

Im jealous of all of you. its -31 here.

15. canis latrans

canis latrans

haven't seen allanc (or Nakkie, for that matter) here since just before the emails from East Anglia were leaked.

I doubt they'll be back (at least under their old names).

16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Yeah, it got a little nippy here last night and early this morning, too.

[​IMG]

It actually got a few degrees colder than what I captured, above. We broke a low-temperature record that had stood for 125 years.

17. hatidua

hatidua

Climate change entails huge swings in normal weather patterns rather than what has been typically considered the norm.

However, don't let that get in the way of furthering a politically motivated rant.

18. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

No one ever does. :supergrin:

19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

We have broken more (record lows) this yr then anytime I can recall. Last summer was dang cool (never used AC once at home) the yr before was also cool. Heck its been a decade since we had HOT summer and mild winters.

Everything points to there being a natural cycle. (except Gore)

20. PA86

PA86

Are you being facetious or are you really that stupid?