Glad I Don't Live in Pinellas County, FL

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by The Fed, Feb 1, 2013.

1. The Fed

The Fed

Since the sheriff is always an outspoken gun-control advocate. A RINO. He hassles legal gun owners and campaigned against a bill for open carry for permit holders (which was defeated), but he has the most dangerous county in the Tampa Bay area. Clearwater Beach is in his county, in case anyone wants to know. Own a stainless gun and wear a belly-band if you vacation there.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1273189.ece

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

My parents winter in Clearwater (NH snowbirds), and will probably be moving down there permanently pretty soon (my dad will be 65 this year). It sucks this is the kind voting choice they have: a RINO or a democrat. My parents have always been conservative, republican voters.

3. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

No offense to your parents but that is exactly what is wrong with places like Clearwater in Florida. There are no Floridians left voting. When you go to a city council meeting over an issue, especially an enviromental, noise or property issue. The people yelling the loudest are not from Florida. People move here and want to change things to the way it is up north. We don't care how you did it up North. If it was so great why aren't you still there.

4. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby CLM

First: They want to "try" to keep ammo out of the hands of criminals Fine, but if there has to be a backround check for ammo, there dam well better NOT be a 3 day wait. Also the part I quoted in bold, What? I'll go through a minimum of 200 rounds per caliber when I hit the range, more when I bring friend's. The only time law enforcement needs to be notified of ANYTHING is when the law is being broken, NOT because I'm legaly buying 1000 rounds of ammo or more.

Second: I hate that they are using "Lock 'n Load" as their picture for this story. I happen to frequent that shop and Jerry is a nice guy. I don't know if he sold the ammo to the kid that offed his mom and her boyfriend right down the street from his shop, but if he did it was legal because the "kid" was 18, also the kid could have just as easily walked into the walmart across the street to get the ammo.
    Jerry has caught some flak before because he sold a gun legaly to a mother who COULD legaly own a firearm, and she used the gun to kill her son at a shooting range and then comit suicide. How the hell is he responsible when the lady passed the all magical "Backround Check"? Jerry may have a small shop with a matching inventory, but he'll try to find what you are looking for without hesitation if he doesn't have it in stock.

Also, I see Pinellas conty cops shopping at his store all the time, wouldn't it be something if they also had to pass a backround check to buy ammo as well.

:steamed:

5. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I'd be willing to bet MY parents aren't the problem. They're from NH, not NY or MA or CT. NH USED TO BE a bastion for personal freedoms. They have open carry there, and the most automatic weapons per capita of any state in the nation. Our state motto is "Live Free or Die". Of course, the last 15 or 20 years it's started to go downhill.

That said, I agree that the premise of your reply is probably correct for the majority of transplants. :wavey:

6. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby CLM

Also, that sheriff is the reason that if you want a SBR or a suppressor in this county, you need to use a trust.

7. The Fed

The Fed

You saying there is any county sheriff who will sign your form? I though even Republican ones are afraid something bad will happen, like it gets stolen and is used in a crime, and they will be blamed.

8. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

If he's elected, vote him out!

9. The Fed

The Fed

Tell them to buy (if they plan to buy) in Pasco or Hernando counties, in an unincorporated part (away from any city). If they want the cheapest electricity tell them to be in a Withlacootchie Electric Co-op service area. And county-supplied water is usually the cheapest.

Bad thing about about these two counties though is they are the sinkhole capitals of Florida. Probably 40% of my homeowners premiums is for extra sinkhole coverage. Sinkhole and hurricane insurance are options. They will only pay for other than catastrophic sinkhole damage if you buy the extra insurance. Without it, they only pay if your house is condemned by the county. AND the deductible even with the extra coverage is 10% of the insured value of your home. So if your home is insured for $163,000 your deductible is $16,300.

The population of Hernando is much less than Pasco. Stay away from the Spring Hill or Shady Hills area. They have what looks like a nice over-55 development called Southern Hills. It's very close to the Gulf though, and homeowners insurance could be a problem. They are block homes.

I think the cheapest way to go is to buy a "mobile" home in Pasco and only buy liability insurance. I have the names of a few companies. They tax double-wides at about $100 per year - no house taxes. Get at least an acre in the country-side that's already zoned agricultural. All you need is a few livestock and bam! - tax exemption for the land.

There are plenty of adult communities in Pasco, and it's solidly Republican, but we have 3 commissioners who want to talk about requiring background checks.

10. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

You're right lumping all northerner's together is unfair. But people like your parents are the minority for sure.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yet they descibe a murder committed with a shotgun - I'm guessing they don't know that "Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.)" are used to commit more murders than shotguns every single year.

So he would have had to have the same friend buy him a box of shotgun shells? What was that supposed to accomplish, again?

Maybe look at the reason this guy is already a convicted felon at 18. I'm guessing his mother played a part in getting herself killed.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

All the same, one of the major problems in Florida and other previously conservative and relatively free states is the yankees and west-coasters who get tired of the crap they have turned their state into, so they move to a better one and start trying to remake it into the same type of &^%$hole. Seems to be the ruin of the southeast and the southwest.