Glad I didn't buy my Fobus holster

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Adionik, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Adionik

Adionik

I was given, now I see why, the Fobus OWB holster for my G26.

[​IMG]

Holy get yourself killed batman, DO NOT buy this for concealed carry out of the box. The break on it is ridiculous, I need 5 mins just to get it out.

Right now i'm working on it with a file to try and loosen it up a bit...but wow, what were they thinking?

2. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Dump it. Those cheap plastic things are surpassed in the junk factor only by Uncle Mike's.

3. J_Rico

J_Rico

No longer a primary, but I still use a Fobus from time to time w/o complaint.

4. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Honestly had the problem with a brand new one in the past. Others (for casual indoor carry around the house) have worked perfectly out of the box. Crap quality control in my opinion.

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

The Fobus holds your pistol very securely. The trick is to snap it out of the holster with a sharp flick of the wrist. You can't simply pull or slide it out of the holster. Once you get the hang of it you will like it.

6. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Ummm, there is no break-in on a Fobus. It either fits or it doesn't. As was mentioned, there is a trick to getting it out. Once you figure it out Fobus works just fine.

7. fredj338

fredj338

Get your wife's hairdrier out & heat it up a bit. You want it snug, but not difficult to get out of the holster.

8. mclaren

mclaren

I use one every day with my G33. It functions perfectly. The retention is just sufficient, nothing more. I bought it used from a friend, it is thoroughly broken in. I think that is the key.
    I am very satisfied with the quality of this holster. It gets abused daily. It is very scratched and has been tugged, pulled, snagged, scraped in every conceivable way.
    It has never falied to hold and protect my weapon.
    Different strokes for different folks. I say try the hairdryer to accelerate break in and don't give up on it. It is my favorite and I have many different brands.

9. table

table

i had one for my 26. way too much force to pull it out. didn't know the pull method though. i liked how it kept the gun close to my body but good grief?! ended up getting a BH Serpa.

10. 1canvas

1canvas

my 23 comes in and out with perfect retension, now my 27 i can hardly put in or pull out. both are 3rd gen glocks.

11. PAGLOCK23

PAGLOCK23 NRA Member

Someone gave me a Fobus for my G26 also. It's OK but I just bought a Blackhawk Serpa from OMB for my G19 and G23 and the release button work awesome. I will probably use it at the range.

12. CBennett

CBennett

I used mine only for range use not CC lol.

13. G8Kpr

G8Kpr Sheep Dog

Have had a Fobus for every semi-auto I've ever had. You do get what you pay for - a decent OWB pistol toter that works for range use, outside around the farm w/out concealment, very tough and does reasonable job of protecting sidearm. Have had some that would seem to 'trap' the trigger guard with no hope of release, some that had that perfect 'snik-swish' on the draw, and some that I've picked up used at gun shows that were definitely 'range use only'. Can't expect Blade Tech or Comp-Tac perfromance at Uncle Mike prices, but their paddles are pretty comfy and secure, and they do tuck Roscoe in pretty close to the body.

If they're right, they ARE quick on the draw and the cant seems just right for me. I mostly IWB everything I got now with the occasional OWB scabbard or slide (all of the previous in leather or leather-kydex hybrid) and keep the Fobus rigs mostly for the quick on-and-off for IDPA and Airsoft practice where I'm focused on the mechanics of the draw stroke and it's not life or death time. Just my $0.02; YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  14. ked

ked

the G26 FRAME is THICKER at the end than the compact and full size.
    there is a special holster for the G26 sub-compact size. Get the right holster.

and no, i don't think Foubus holsters are great, but they are ok.:whistling:

ked:wavey:

15. RioKid

RioKid

I have one each for my 27 and 23 and I think they are okay. I have used them for 4 years with no problem.

16. HK Dan

HK Dan

<ehem>

The Fobus is designed to retain the gun if it's drawn by a third party, i.e. at an odd angle. When you draw it at the proper angle, the gun practically pops out of the holster.

Now, I'm NOT a fan of that holster for defensive use; it's too bulky. But it's certainly not junk. I use it for IDPA about half the time.

One thing you can do if the retention is too strong: Take a hairdryer and heat up the area where the trigger guard meets the bottom of the frame (front). When it's nice and warm, slide a folded Leatherman into the trigger guard area and let it cool. If it's too loose, find a tinner spacer, but that worked for me. (The Leatherman goes in the thin way).

Carry with one? No. Good for around the house? Yes. Learn the draw, it'll work.

Dan

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Suckage. They can work, but almost anything else is a step up. Usually way up.

18. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

19. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

There are many better holsters than FOBUS, and very few worse. Beats mexican carry, at any rate. That's for sure.

20. tshadow6

tshadow6

I use a Fobus for all of my handguns. I've been carrying my G19 in a standard Fobus paddle for over 10 years now. There is a method for drawing your weapon. First- make sure you have the exact holster for the exact model. I've had people want to buy a Fobus holster from me and the only thing they could tell me was the caliber.