Giving up motorcycles

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by epsylum, Sep 1, 2005.

1. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Well I finally talked to my dad after his 2nd big bike wreck in his 2-wheeling career (as in multiple broken bones and long hospital stays). He is finally calling it quits with bikes after over 30 years of riding.

My Dad said that if there had been a telephone pole or a post where he wrecked, he would have been dead. As it is he has a fractured upper arm, broken shoulder, and (as the doctor put it) too many cracked ribs to count. Luckily he has always believed in good riding equipment. I think that after almost losing his leg about 15 years ago in another wreck, finally did it for him. He has decided to hang up his helmet and sell off everything bike related he has to try and pay off all the medical bills and hopefully have enough for another gun.

That makes me wonder, what would it take for you any for you to give up riding? I know some here would only quit when they die, but I bet a lot (including me) would give up after at least one pretty bad wreck. Watching all that money go down the toilet (with both the bike and all the hospital bills) would be pretty hard to take, especially knowing there is a chance for it to happen again. Both my brother and I are going to continue riding. I have yet to have a really bad wreck and my brother has had only one in his 20 years of riding (he started when he was 9), although it has left him with a bum knee for life (stupid hill-jack ran a red light and T-boned him).

2. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

I actually haven't started riding yet but I'm pretty hell bent on doing so next riding season (when I'll be in better financial shape). I'm a pretty cautious, low-key guy by nature so stories like these always give me pause, make me wonder if it's all worth the risk. But it's something I've wanted to do for years now and I'm finally in a position to make it happen, and I know that I'll regret it later on down the road if I don't take the chance now.

3. 1911

My brother wreaked last weekend broke his shoulder, finger and mild road rash. I sometime wear my helmet and sometime not well after seeing his helmet I will wear mine at all times. His ride Jacket is fine can't even tell it went down. I have heard of a lot of people going down in the last two weeks. I am riding a little slower these days. I'll try to post a few pics of his stuff.

4. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Yeah, it would probably take a major wreck (and obtaining a wife and kids who depend on me). I don't have a bike right now as I blew the engine on my Seca in 1997 and don't need a vehicle (I walk to work). But I will get another bike, there is no question.

I think things are different if you have a spouse and/or kids who depend on you. I am single so I don't have this issue. Biking is a risk, no doubt about that -- but nothing in life is without risk. I could walk out the door and get hit by a SEPTA bus, so even walking to work is not 100% safe.

You have to take all the factors into account when you make your choices, that's all.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

There are two ways for me to quite riding:

1. I'm dead.

2. I just don't want to do it any more because I've found something else better to do.

A wreck, even a bad wreck, isn't going to turn me off...knock on wood. I didn't go back into motoring without having put a lot of thoughts into the activity and I understood the risks then. Almost a year later I am having a blast and wondered why I took the hiatus. But you know what? I didn't want to ride the in-between years for a good reason. Never force yourself to ride.

6. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I was gonna end up going to jail or dead riding on the street. I got a thing for big bikes, and my old ZRX1200R became a tool of evil. As an experienced rider, I'm not gonna have a little crash... it gonna be nasty. Even then, it's not the injury so much as the legality. You get stopped doing 140mph in a 65 zone = JAIL.

I still ride my dirtbike, and have suffered my share damage for it. But when I wanna do a 70mph wheelie nobody can stop me.

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

My brother has been streetbikeless for about 4-5 years now. He has been rebuilding his bike after a pretty severe engine failure. Now he is about 98% done. His driving record sucks big time (I think like 2 or 3 suspensions, all just for traffic violations, no DUIs or anything). When he's on a bike he just wants to haul *** everywhere. He has ran from cops on a couple occasions and has yet to get caught, but he knows it's just a matter of time. So when he was putting the last touches on his bike, he put a stretched swingarm on it. He is going to make it a drag bike only and proabably not even liscense or insure the thing (insurance on a 92 GSXR-1100 for someone who has had multiple liscense suspensions, is pretty expensive). We live across the street from IRP (where the NHRA nationsals are at this weekend) so a drag strip is all of a 3 minute walk from his house. That way he won't be out acting like an idiot on it on public streets and wind up either in jail or dead. I must say, that is one fo the most responsible things I have heard him say, no if he actually does it is yet to be seen.

8. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Well I haven't quit entirely, but compared to how much I used to ride it almost seems like it. What did it for me? Three young kids to raise and support.

Didn't think I'd ever cut back, but it's not just about me anymore. Even though I'm a pretty skillful rider you can do everything right but there are always asswipes out to kill you and I've decided not to take the chance that one of them might succeed.

Motorcycling will still be there when the kids are grown. Till then I'll keep it mostly in the dirt.

Hope your Dad recovers soon, Epsylum.

9. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

Epsylum-

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Motorbike will be something that will be very hard for me to give up. It is my only transportation because I really hate driving cars. When I'm driving a car, I get utterly bored with being "constrained" in undesired environment and I get tired easily and nod off...

To stay alive, I have to be on my bike that requires me to "multitask" about over 10 things at same time. What's ahead of me? What's the road condition? Will the vehicle on the left lane move into my lane? Will the vehicle on the right lane move into my lane? Will the car in front of me in my lane slow down or make sudden stop? Will the vehicle behind me stop on time if I stop suddenly or do I have to swerve into another lane to avoid being hit from behind? What is the traffic light timing? (When will the light turn green so I don't have to slow down...) The possibilities are endless so I never get tired. I'm 100% alert even though I have 3 jobs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not THAT paranoid about everything. I'm a strong believer of Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will...

No, I will never give up motorcycling. If I end up in wheelchair because of my old age, I'll darn make sure that it's a motorized wheelchair with over 1200cc engine with turbo injector...

-ChaZ

10. H.I.M

H.I.M

What Chaz said

It all depends on where my head is. When the day comes that I will no longer be able to make the quick decisions and or reactions needed to keep myself alive I will hang up my helmet. People are doing everything but driving their car these days...talking on phones,putting on makeup,reading the paper/book blah blah blah. The facts are, is we know it and we take the risks. It's part of the game like it or not. Most of the time I view it as a built in road coarse...ducking and weaving just to stay alive yee haa!

Tell your Dad, God Bless.

11. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Smart decision...
    http://www.araiamericas.com/news_9.html#

12. KaTooM

KaTooM

I pretty much just ride Track Days on my SportBike, and offroad on my Dualsport. Riding in the canyons is fun if you just cruise. Street riding in traffic has so many Hazards, It just doesnt appeal to me anymore. I used to commute on my KZ650 back in the day. I guess what im trying to say is get a 35mpg cage for the street, and a SportBike for the Track and the strip, and enjoy!

13. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

+1

I miss that bike.

14. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Well I am going to try and get my 84 GPz 1100 going again. These gas prices are killing me (especially since my only car is a V-8). I finally have a job where I can ride to work and my school has motorcycle parking right up front right next to a security post, so I will literally get to park one of the best parking spots everyday.

I finally saw my dad's bike. It's only has cosmetic damage, and my dad already had replacement plastic for those parts, but never put them on (thankfully). I have yet to see my dad's damage, but my brother has. He said my dad is in WAY worse shape than the bike.

Thanks for all the support.

15. Camel_G19

Camel_G19

i just went down three weeks ago. was early in the morning and foggy. im not sure what, but something ran out in front of me and i went into a skid and went down. i slid off the egde of the road into a ditch with 5 inches of water in it and came to a stop about 50 in front of my bike. last thing i remember was skidding on my bike, then the cops being there. i hit my head and was knocked out.

i had all my gear on so i came out ok. my jacket had heavy scrapes as did the carbon fiber knuckles on my gloves, and had some scrapes on one side.

i had some minor road rash on my knees and hips, a real good bruise on my right hip, and a broken wrist.

my bike came out ok, i will be able to fix it for less than my deductable so im not turning it in to my insurance.

i am going to fix my bike and hopefully be healed to get some more riding in before the snow.
    [​IMG]

and my bike
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wolve...g.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wolverine_435/my_photos

16. norton

norton

I am pretty close to your dad's situation. I rode for 30 years, had a crash 3 years ago, and a riding buddy I was with died in the crash. Thing is, I had been considering giving up the sport for about a year before I had my crash. I had two close calls the year before-not really any different then the years before-but the little voice in my head told me maybe I had taken enough chances, and my luck was going to run out. Of course I didn't listen.
    After my crash and 2 months I found the first time I rode my bike the thrill was gone.
    I still have my old Norton, but it doesn't run. I sold my Kawasaki.

I don't miss it.