close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Giving the middle finger to the trigger

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Kriterian, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Kriterian

Kriterian

I was at the range with my step-father, who is retired military and of course a better shooter than me. I noticed his grip seemed a little weird and asked about it. He said that puts his index finger along the frame and pulls the trigger with his middle finger. He has a G26, and his "short, sausage" fingers don't wrap around the grip good enough he said.

I decided to try it out, and sure enough it stopped my problem (whatever causes you to shoot low and left consistently), and all of my shots were true.

Now since I use my G19 for concealed carry, I'm just not comfortable drawing from a holster like that. So I'm wondering if there is some other way to correct my problem.

Note: I'm currently using the default backstrap that came with the gen4, so I'm not sure if there is a smaller one.

2. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

The only guy I knew who shot with his middle finger (who is/was a very fast, accurate comp. shooter) had no 'pointer' finger.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

3. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

I have tried it and yes it's tough to convert muscle memory to this. So I didn't pursue it.

Historical note: British soldiers were trained to shoot the Lee-Enfield with their middle finger as the trigger finger so as to cycle the bolt action faster. They were expected to fire 15 rounds a minute. Many broke 40 rounds a minute. Try it.

4. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

If by "your problem" you mean shooting low/left, I have the same issue. Seems this is a trigger control problem. I posted on this last week and replies all indicated I just need to practice dry firing and keeping the front side on target throughout the pull. Easier said than done.

5. ked

ked

i too have thought about this, but i wondered what would happen when your index finger got hit with the ejection port! seems like it could get cut/bruised real quick.

ked:dunno:

6. M 7

M 7

Different (trigger) strokes for different folks. I have no reason to try it (my clumsy forefinger'd probably get in the way anyway), but if it works for you I'd say go for it.

7. MLittle

MLittle

Hitting the ejection port is not a problem for me since I'm left handed. I've tried shooting my Sigs with my middle finger as the trigger finger and I actually shoot better with that grip. FYI, I asked Mas last week about this method of shooting and he doesn't think it's a good idea. He says you sacrifice a good grip on your firearm using this method since you are only holding the stock with your pinky and ring finger. I did find it easier to shoot my da/sa Sig with the middle finger since it is longer and stronger than my index. I'm still on the fence about this method and may give it another try. Control of the firearm isn't a problem while shooting two handed, but may be shooting one handed.

8. ken grant

ken grant

Go here, a site about what you are asking
    www.pointshooting.com

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

H. Onslow Curling, Hints on the Use and Handling of Firearms Generally, and the Revolver in Particular (1885).

10. MLittle

MLittle

Just to add one other comment.....

I've only tried this method of shooting (Aimed Point Shooting) one time at my range with my da/sa Sig. The first pull of the trigger is around 10lbs and sometimes I pulled that shot. Using my middle finger for the trigger finger had three noticable benefits for me: 1) Since my index finger was laid on the top of the frame, just below the slide, I noticed that my control and point of my pistol was more true....following the direction of my index finger, 2) since my middle finger is longer and stronger than my index finger, I was able to place the first joint of my middle finger on the trigger where before I couldn't reach that far with my index finger and 3) my following shots in sa tended to be more accurate also. Instead of squeezing or pulling the trigger, it felt to me more like I was just tightening my grip on the pistol stock. In my experiment, there was no denying that my shots came easier and more accurately. Of course, the trade-off is that you only grip the stock of the pistol with your pinky finger and your ring finger, undeniably probably the two weakest fingers on your hand. I also dry-fired some of my revolvers to see if this hold would work on them. The only problem I had was with some of my pocket guns....the grip was a little convoluted.

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Keep it on the frame and that won't happen.

I don't use the middle finger as common practice, but I have done it so I could see how it worked and it makes point shooting a little easier since you are actually pointing at the target in some semblance of a real point.

If you accept that people focus on the threat (weapon) and the shooters hand migt get hit (happened to one of our LTs) then being able to use the nonstandard finger might be a skill worth having. I wouldn't put thousands of rounds down range for practice, but I would try it out. Hell, who hasn't used their pinkie to run plate racks once in a while.:whistling:

12. M 7

M 7

So you say. :animlol: You ain't factored in my "clutziness". :supergrin:

13. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

In 1885 they treated VD with mercury as well. :whistling:

Having shot thousands of blackpowder rounds in revolvers all I can say is that man was an idiot as with hot BP gases escaping a person would do this only once. :supergrin:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  14. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

You could sharpen the edges of the ejection port and that would trim your finger to the perfect length.:tongueout:

15. Kriterian

Kriterian

Yeah, I wouldn't shoot this way all the time. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong that the middle finger trigger pull fixes.

I suppose the first thing to try is the dry fire practice since it's the cheapest and easiest method.

16. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

I have never fired any gun with my middle finger so this may be way off base. But I have been shooting for a long long time and I have adjusted to and "learned" many different triggers on many different guns. I think that the main issue here would be muscle memory. Shooting skill depends a great deal on it. If you train and practice using your father's grip you will probably improve to a point that surprises you.

The holster and Gen 4 backstrap are different issues in my mind but I can see how they play a part in your over all situation. I believe, based upon my own success, that if you determine to do so and are willing to be patient and keep at it you can adjust to any trigger or reasonable grip.

Good luck.....

17. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

the theory behind this back when it was taught was that by pointing at your target when you pull the trigger you were more likely to hit it. it makes sense and is a proven technique, honestly not sure why it stopped.

18. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Hold your hand out like you are holding the pistol.
    Open your fingers.
    Turn your hand in, palm up in front of your face without adjusting the cant of your wrist.
    Look at your palm.
    Curl your trigger finger in like you are pulling the trigger.
    Curl your middle finger like you are pulling the trigger.
    Notice a difference in the paths, notice how the rest of the hand moves, even slightly with the trigger finger?
    If the rest of the hand moves, then the gun can move. The greater the movement, the greater the error.

19. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Your miracle fix was temporary. You probably would have experienced the same success had you shot left (assuming you are right) handed.

The way to correct your all too common problem is with dry practice and shooting with a purpose.

For fully digited folk there is no good reason to start shooting with the middle finger.

MF

20. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

hes right, theres no magic grip or stance that will fix your problems. the only way to get better at shooting, is by shooting.