close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Give your wife or girlfriend an incentive to shoot.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by M2 Carbine, Feb 24, 2010.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Most of us men would like our ladies to take an interest in guns and shooting.
    That's natural. We enjoy it and want to share the fun with our partners, but more important we understand the need for the ladies to be able to defend themselves with a gun if need be.

The thing is, for someone that doesn't get really bitten by the shooting bug, just standing there shooting at a paper bullseye can quickly become as interesting as watching paint dry.
    You need to keep it interesting and give them an incentive to continue improving.

Way back when I taught my (future Wife) to shoot.
    My Wife liked to shoot but wasn't interested in making little groups in paper. She liked to destroy things and make stuff fly around.:)
    [​IMG]

I got an idea.
    One day I told Her. You are becoming a really good shooter. (she could beat all my friends with a rifle or handgun)
    I said, I'll tell you what I'll do. If you ever beat me in any kind of shooting contest I'll give you the gun you used and I'll have a shooting trophy made for you.

I was a very proud man the day I gave Her that gun and trophy.:hearts:

She continued shooting but never did develop a love for paper shooting. She liked to break things.:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

3. YGF

YGF

its tough, tried getting girl to try shooting, shot a couple rounds and said she was scared? so im htinking about getting a nice .22 for cheap ammo and so that maybe something with a little less bang will get her into it!

4. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i will admit that i too enjoy shooting stuff and seeing the carnage ..

also gives you an idea what a round can or can not do ,

nothing like having a .45 acp bounce off a car at a certain angle ..

where .40 and 9mm go right through,

at our shooting pit over the years there have been cars left, vans, boats, refrigerators, etc ..

and we never dump,

but do occasionally clean it up a bit from others dumping ..

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

.22's and milk jugs full of water help. Also cheap soda shook up really good :supergrin: Good hearing protection too. I've even gone as far as having them use ear plugs and ear muffs.

6. peapadamoose

peapadamoose

My wife took an intrest in learning how to shoot. she said if we had a gun in the house she wanted to know how to use it if I wasn't home so that it couldn't be used as a weapon against her if there was an intruder. She doesn't love shooting but she does to improve her accuracy. She doesn't understand the bug us men get especially the glock bug. Everytime I want to get a new gun she asks the same question. "Why is it necessary"? :wow:I don't care if she has the bug or not all I care about is that she is confident enough in her abilities to shoot if she ever needed to.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

IMO, starting with a 22 is the way to go.

Getting most people over being unreasonably scared is usually pretty easy. People are scared by things they don't understand.
    I like to sit down with a new shooter for an hour or two before they fire the first shot.
    We address any fears they have. All fears are not a bad thing. A healthy fear can keep you safe.
    Before they shoot, ideally, they will have a good understand of how the gun functions, a very good understanding of sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control and of course will know all the correct safety procedures, etc.

Try sitting down at the table and explaining everything to her, in GREAT DETAIL. Then have her teach sight picture, safety, gun function TO YOU.
    When she gets it right take her out for something she likes to do.:supergrin:

As she is shooting continue to ask her questions. Some that she should know and some she has to think about.
    For instance, I randomly continue to ask my young shooting friends question such as this and more.

8. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Punching paper can get pretty boring and it doesn't teach as much in my opinion. Seeing the destruction that a firearm can make is an important learning factor especially when it comes to safety.

9. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

man, ive given my wife plenty of incentive to shoot....ohhhh you didnt mean shoot us....

10. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

:rofl:

11. FrogWithAGlock

FrogWithAGlock Girl with a Gun

THanks for sharing the story and pics.

I have taken 4 women (and one man, my hubby) shooting this past year. And i a couple months, when we do Women on Target again, I am bringing 6 or 7 women with me. (one is a repeat, so 5-6 new shooters) And one of the women took shooting a while back is joining the range, and going to WOT as well.

That's a total of 11 new shooters for me, in one year, 10 of them women. Not bad for a newbie, huh??

One thing that helps, is that I am a woman. So there's no macho thing going on (or being mistakenly perceived). Another, is that I try them out with my .22 first (semi-auto), then, if they are interested, my G19.

The real "deal closer" is that I am willing to let them take their time, and I have (for a couple of them) put my hand over theirs, with my finger on their trigger finger (and my other hand on their back), to pull the trigger with them, the first couple of times. These were two women that really wanted to shoot, yet were TERRIFIED of guns (one had a friend who committed suicide via gun last year - I got her to shoot several rounds, after explaining gently yet firmly that her friend ended her life, the gun was simply the tool she used. Like a hammer, screwdriver, etc. the gun didn't take her life; it was just the method/tool she chose.).

What I love about Women on Target, besides the great instruction, and chance to shoot many different weapons, is the reactives section. Shooting spinners, profiles that fall over, etc, is MUCH more fun than shooting paper.

12. peapadamoose

peapadamoose

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. poppabrutus

poppabrutus

...introduce them to each other?

14. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

to our wifes and girlfriends....may they never meet.:drink::whistling:

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

My Wife liked the M1 Carbine from the first shot.
    One day She said, If ever caught you messing around the Carbine would be what I shoot you with.

I said, No, you aren't supposed to shoot me, you are supposed to shoot the woman that lead me astray.

She said, I may shoot her second but I'm shooting you first.

Needless to say, I may have looked but I never touched.:supergrin:

16. Liquid

Liquid

that pretty neat. i guess i am very lucky my finance is cool with it. i remember when she found out i have a gun. i always kept a mag in my glove box. one day i stepped out of the car and left her there. she opened my glove box and saw my g26 mag. when i got back in the car she asked if i had a 9mm. she comes with me shooting every now and then and keeps a g19 in her night stand.