Give your opinion on Brownells Alumahyde II ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by POGMarineFPS, Oct 2, 2016.

1. POGMarineFPS

POGMarineFPS

Thinking about switching from Duracoat to Alumahyde. Seen allot of good looking pictures of it, and was wondering if anyone has any good experience with it. Photos are welcome here, and opinions even more welcome. Thank you guys for the help.

2. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I used it on an ak and it turned out very nicely. The gun was blued and looking beat up when I bought it. Of course the gun must be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned of any traces of oil. It took about a week to dry to the point I felt safe handling it. It is a paint, and immediately came off in a line where the safety drags over the receiver, but other than that it held up 100%. Some of the more aggressive cleaning solvents will attack it ("bore scrubber" did) but Hoppes 9 is fine. I sold the gun to a friend years ago and haven't seen it since, but he really liked it and put it to use hunting wild boar.

3. POGMarineFPS

POGMarineFPS

Nice sounds allot better then paying 40 bucks for duracoat.

4. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

I used it recently on an AR lower - turned out great. I was building a Vietnam era rifle out of a Colt parts kit using a new receiver. All the old Colt guns were "Colt Grey" so I new black lower looked HORRID and out of place. Read about all my options, grabbed a $9 can of Alumahyde and gave it a shot.

It sprayed easy, covered great and seems PLENTY durable. I read and read, seems alot of people bake it to speed up curing. I tossed it in the oven at 225 degrees for 3 hours. Let it cool for about 5 hours and built the AR. If your familiar with building an AR you use a hammer, punches etc on the lower. The refinished lower seemed just as durable and resistent to "dings" as any other lower. I was happy with the result.

Its not a perfect color match.....but then you can grab two Colt ARs of that vintage and they would be different colors anyways.....so I wasnt expecting perfect. Its close enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. PointyHead0509

PointyHead0509

That looks great. I'm impressed.

6. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Got an AK. Think it would be neat to have one of the old 'A1's in my herd. Nice gun!

7. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

Id always wanted one....and recently saw a Colt Sporter come up for sale at $900 (a good buy) but was low on funds.

A few weeks later I had some cash.....found a A1 parts kit on Gunbroker, everything but the lower for $530. Toss a cheap Anderson lower on for $42......$8 can of Alumahyde - Ive got under $600 in it. Yeah, its not a Colt lower.....nor is it correct. I still wish I had the Colt for $900.....but this is good enough to satisfy my want and I saved a bit of money going this route.

8. PointyHead0509

PointyHead0509

I ordered a can of matte black Alumahyde from Brownells. I have a sand blaster and plan to use glass beads and TCE degreaser for prep. I'm going to start with the scope rail that Ruger includes with 10/22s. If that turns out well, I'll use the rest of the can for both of my 10/22 receivers. The paint that ruger uses on the 10/22 receiver and scope rail isn't that great. This should be a fun project and I should end up with a better finish than what Ruger uses.

9. steve1911

steve1911

This is my Recce rifle painted with Alumahyde II dark earth, for the past 8 years, pretty tough Finnish.
    Recce.JPG Recce.JPG
    1911club#410

SJ 40 likes this.
  10. PointyHead0509

PointyHead0509

That looks great steve1911. Did you just degrease and spray over the anodizing or did you do any additional prep?

11. steve1911

steve1911

Yes sprayed it with break clean about three times, let it dry, then painted with three coats i believe .
    no other prep.

1911club#410