Girl, 12, arrested in New York for doodling on school desk

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Gees, I wonder if this school would arrest a student just because they didn't eat everything on their school lunch plate?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-05-girl-arrested-doodling_N.htm

Girl, 12, arrested in New York for doodling on school desk

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City junior high student has been arrested for doodling on her desk with a marker.

Twelve-year-old Alexa Gonzalez scribbled "Lex was here 2/1/10" on her desk Monday at Junior High School 190 in Queens. She also wrote "I love my friends Abby and Faith." The girl says the doodles could have been erased.

Moraima Tamacho says her daughter was released several hours after she was taken in handcuffs to a police station.

Education department spokesman David Cantor said the incident shouldn't have happened, and that common sense should prevail.

Last month, the New York Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit alleging more than 20 instances of wrongful arrests and assaults by school safety officers.

Gonzalez has been assigned eight hours of community service, a book report and an essay on what she's learned from the experience.

2. badge315

badge315

Geez...if they arrested kids for doodling on school desks back in my day, I'd probably still be in prison. :upeyes:

3. HighwayStarPP

HighwayStarPP bang bang bang

hahaha gotta love new york