GIMP Text Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WERA49, Mar 19, 2005.

1. WERA49

WERA49

Guys, I'm new to digital photo software. I can only do basic coloring, cropping, resizing etc.

I'd like to add text to an image using GIMP. The background color is black. How do I change the color of the text? I looked around at the tutorial but didn't find the answer.

I did learn that GIMP software is powerful. I'm looking forward to a few experiments that I have in mind.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

It can be done, but perhaps if you are using Windows that step would be best performed by the weakest photo editor of all time, M$ Paint.

GIMP has more in common with PhotoChop that with Paint, so don't fret if it takes a while to learn how to use all the features.

After all, there are several levels of college courses devoted to Photoshop.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The text tool is used to add text to the image. Select the text tool and then click on the image. The Text Tool dialog will appear. Set the parameters for the text you want to add, type your words into the field at the bottom of the dialog, and click on OK to add the text. Please note that the fonts displayed by the GIMP are the fonts that are accessible to X on your system.

When you add text to an image, the text becomes the active selection. If you move your mouse cursor over the text, you will see the move icon, and you can click and drag to move the text to an appropriate spot on the image.