GIMP Radar

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by KSFreeman, Aug 1, 2007.

1. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

We've had a couple of threads about state po-po radar and techniques, but what does GIMP use? Anyone have model #s and where to get the manuals for them?

TIA.

2. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

What benefit are the manuals?

3. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

To ask GIMPs questions from the manual.

4. IPDBrad

IPDBrad Guest

Barkin up wrong tree if you are trying to fight a radar ticket(s).

Radar is no mystery, and is not hard to use, even easier to get caught by it (editorial: don't even bother wasting money on a radar detector).

5. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

Maybe a waste of time, maybe not, but I've beat them before. I can litigate at a recreational level and Officer Newmeat says his radar can pierce a semi tractor trailer from the far right hand lane through the semi into the far left lane.:rofl:

He was in left lane with his little parade/show and Defendant passed semi that moved ahead of cop in middle lane. GIMP says he clocked Defendant through semi. Who boy, we gonna have some fun tonight.:banana:

I almost feel sorry for the prosecutor, no, wait, no I don't.:rofl:

Anyone know the brand and model? TIA.

6. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

Remind me to retain you should I run into legal problems.:thumbsup:

7. Gump

Gump Guest

Maybe you could just call down to HQ and ask them. I can't believe it is some secret.

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

and drive the speed limit?

9. Robocop

Robocop

There is no 1 brand issued. They issue radars from ALL manufacturers. It all depends on who is the lowest bid at the time they have extra money. Not to mention that they only issue units to traffic officers. Everyone else has to buy their own. Some buy the cheap 150.00 used radars that were surplused from other depts while others spend 1200.00 buying the latest/greatest new radar systems.

10. Robocop

Robocop

Sounds like he paced his speed not actually "clocked" him. I do that all the time. Vehicle ahead of me/next to me is speeding I will match their speed and then activate my radar to verify my patrol speed. The patrol speed shown is the speed that I am pacing the speeder at. It is using the radar to determine speed but not actively "clocking" a vehicle in the traditional sense.

11. rhino465

rhino465

Would the make and model in a given officer's vehicle be available by contacting the department?

12. Robocop

Robocop

To be honest I doubt that they are that squared away. Since the merger we've had to submit our pistol, shotgun, and taser serial numbers at least 4 times. We would fill out all the paperwork and it would get lost. I bet the department doesn't even know how many radar units they own and to whom they were issued. It's sad. If you want to ask and see what answer you will get you might try calling the IMPD traffic branch. I don't have the number handy or I would give it to you.

13. Fenway

Fenway

I have a radar detector that works great. 0 tickets. Laser is a problem. I think its almost impossible to pick up before its too late. I've been hit twice with it and my detector went off but gave no warning.

14. pupcuss27

pupcuss27 CLM

It's been since 1988 since I got a ticket in Indianpolis :)

Way back then there was a plea stage in the system, you could

go to the city traffic court and plead not guilt if you didn't pay

the ticket by mail. You would then get another court date assigned

where the officer must be present in court or the Judge would automatically

dismiss the charge.

I'm sure this would only apply to someone who wasn't any type of

repeate offender or any serious violation, just a failure to yield

normal stop sign stuff. I'm not up on any current traffic law but

back then, in my over the road sales days, I really tried to keep a clean

driving record. I would do over 30,000 miles a year selling all

types of graphic arts equipment and my license was my bread & butter...

15. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I have owned lots of radar detectors. In the old days of X band, they were great. But with instant on and laser, they are useless. I stopped using them years ago, and threw them away.

It reached the point where it was simply a lame excuse preparation alert.

"BEEEEEEP" (translation decision tree: how fast am I going? 1.) Speed limit, or something reasonably close... action: keep driving. 2.) Above speed limit by unreasonable amount... action: 1.) prepare to pull over in safe spot to keep officer safe, 2.) mentally prepare, 3.) pray furiously for warning!

And if you do get a ticket, there is a pretrial diversion program (pay extra, drive on essentially probation for a year, keep points off record... not that I would have experience or anything ;)

16. USAret

USAret Guest

Obviously you haven't owned a Valentine One. Instant on can get you sure enough; except he was also zapping that little red sports car 1-3 miles ahead of me and I got a warning. Bought my first Valentine One about 10-11 years ago, no tickets since. Being born and raised in Montana and having spent half my military career in Germany, my view on speed limits on open limited-access roads is they are just a way of imposing an involuntary "Speed Tax" so as to generate funds for the dept. I don’t even KNOW what the limit is on most roads I drive everyday except in residential areas where I probably drive at least 10 under what is posted.

LEO’s are just as human as any of us. So guess what! Those fancy radar guns that they can set for a pre-set limit and then just sit there napping until the buzzer goes off are putting out a constant or nearly constant signal, on the right terrain I have seen it detected in excess of 5 miles away. Radar also starts spreading almost like a beam from a light bulb as soon as it leaves the gun; meaning that on a 4 lane highway from any reasonable distance the gun is “seeing” all FOUR lanes and the officer has to decide which vehicle is causing the reading; which is reason #1 NOT to own a red corvette. Often one vehicle is passing all the others and it is quite obvious and easy. However; IF ALL the vehicles were traveling at the detected speed the officer still has to decide which one gets pulled over.

I could go on and on about this subject. Especially discussing the ones I beat in court. So let me just stop ranting here and leave you with this thought. Since I retired and am now traveling the roads during “normal” rush hours about 50% of the time I’ve noticed a distinct trend. A police car appearing Suddenly around a corner or in the shadows of an overpass causes a brake-dancing exercise with the general public and on at least 80 occasions I have witnessed a near-accident or downright traffic accident CAUSED by this phenomenon. (I get to watch because I got warned at least 10-20 seconds earlier so I pulled into the right lane and clicked on the cruise-control, which usually causes everyone to start passing me, Ha Ha). If the purpose is public safety why don’t they have the “traffic squad” out pulling over people that are essentially driving 3/4ths of a car? Why aren’t they pulling over those trucks with unsecured loads that are showering all following cars with; gravel, crops, scrap metal, etc…? Why don’t they pull over that POS missing both bumpers with 4 different sized wheels and 4 bald tires? Logically they should be able to generate lots of funds; unsafe vehicle, likely other equipment and safety violations, probably no license, probably no insurance, probably expired tags, etc…. My answer is the obvious. It is EASIER to pull over us poor working saps that are driving a newer vehicle and have a legitimate job because we will just mail them a check. The REAL unsafe drivers are gonna fail to appear and cause a bench warrant to be issued and some poor LEO is going to have to go to a trailer park and serve that warrant. At the very least he’ll get his patrol unit dirty, his shoes/boots are likely to be soiled, and he’ll have to foot-chase the miscreant through the back yard possibly causing more exposure to unclean things like bushes, fences, junk, and OMG Dog Poo!!! Yes I’m a bit sensitive on that subject, and tired of watching my tax dollars turn highly-trained LEO’s into roadside tax collectors.

Rant over. Now I’d like to hear from some LEO who has a similar opinion about speed limits on; open, traffic free, limited-access roads. I know there is one out there somewhere.

17. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I have used a Valentine ONE (a decade ago) and gave it away. I am good at avoiding traffic violations, but even the best radar detectors have limitations. An officer sitting and repeatedly hitting cars or broadcasting is very easy to pick up. The better the detector, the longer interval between shots you can pick up to avoid the trap. I often wonder if they use that as a speed control procedure (slow all the folks with radars down to modify the net driving speeds). However, an officer with LIDAR or instant on K, Ka, etc., can easily ping you without advanced notice.

Several years back I might have gotten pulled over by a very nice officer, who (as he was writing my warning, yippee!) talked and enjoyed showing me the old tuning forks and other squad car toys, and was playing a game and guessing approaching car speeds. We were in a horrible downpour, and he let me hang in the car for a bit to avoid getting drenched. The darned guy could peg a car's speed pretty accurately before he even chose to activate the radar.

Your Valentine One is certainly a fantastic device. For me, though, the lack of one keeps me more focused on my driving. I have fared as well or better without radar than with.

Also, my dad lives in Virginia (detectors are prohibited). When I drive to visit, I can't take one anyway!

18. epsylum

epsylum Guest

What about radar jammers? I am guessing those are more or less illegal about anywhere.

19. Berretta9

Berretta9

GIMP Radar ?? I thought that was used to find short crippled people. Kinda like Gaydar is for... well you get the picture. Learn something on here all the time.
    Just show up for court, if he doen't, ask for a dismissal. No prosecuting wittness. Works everytime.

20. Robocop

Robocop

Yes. FCC states that anything that transmits a certain band of freq requires a FCC lic to operate. Jammers fall into this category.