Gigabit Ethernet Switches

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nyper, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Nyper

Nyper

Looking for comparisons/research on various 24 or 48 port gigabit switches for a business implementation. Where to start? ;P

2. pyblood

pyblood

I too am looking to purchase a gigabit switch. It will be for home use, so I won’t be looking at one that size. I just looked on NewEgg and read some reviews. I then did a search for them on the internet. One thing that I heard a lot people say was jumbo packet support was a pretty good feature to have. I have settled on the SMC8505T or the SMC8508T. There are a lot of manufactures out there. Cisco is probably the best, but they are probably going to be the most expensive.
    Here are a few companies that should give you a head start:
    Cisco
    3Com
    SMC
    D-Link
    Netgear
    Linksys

There are a lot more companies out there that make some higher end (more expensive) equipment like HP, MiLAN, Nortel, Etc.

3. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

4. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

For business - look into Foundry and Extreme. HP is an OEM of some foundry. 3com is back in the business.

Heck for basic stuff, almost anyone offers 24 port switchs - including the basics of management, vlans, link aggregation, jumbo frames, etc. Dlink and Belkin do. Unless you need advanced layer 3-7 services, you probably can meet your requirements with these. Heck if you aren't going to do vlans or jumbo frame, lots of even cheaper models will need your requirements.

5. mfackler

mfackler

Guess I will Hi jack your thread with a me three kind of. I am interested in the home use verity also. I am not so concerned about the switch as I am the rack. Anyone have a good source for a small (cheap) rack for home use? What should I be looking for?

Mike

6. Nyper

Nyper

I guess I should have been more specific. Sorry, I was in a hurry. Looking for a managed switch, all Gigabit Ethernet, not FastEthernet. Budget is around $2500 most likely.

7. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

Cisco or Allied Telesyn Rapier
    I have several Allied Telesyn Rapier 48 port managed switches, they work similar to a cisco.

8. g33kfu

g33kfu

Take a look at Dell also. They have reasonably priced gigabit managed switches

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Cisco or HP.

Home is 3Com mostly.

Home without caring is Linksys, NetGear, D-Link...

DanH

10. MSgtJoe

MSgtJoe MSgt, USAF, Ret

Dell 2724 is great for fringe requirements, backbone/core switch the 5324. Don't use a home variety switch for your network. Depending on the servers you decide to use also helps to decide your switch vendor. If you use Dell, then you have Open Manage to use, with HP they have Insight Manager, with Cisco (which is way too expensive when you look at cost per port) you are stuck with their software. You want one package/platform to hopefully manage most everything.