GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I initially thought was another simple kitchen fire turned out to be an apartment complex fire. When we got there we could see the flames coming through the roof. I had some young officers with me and I instructed them to kick in every locked door and clear all eight apartments while the FD was setting up hoses. You'd have thought they were little kids on Christmas morning. That youthful enthusiasm is adorable. :animlol:

The above picture turned into the below pictures in no time flat.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
What I initially thought was another simple kitchen fire turned out to be an apartment complex fire. When we got there we could see the flames coming through the roof. I had some young officers with me and I instructed them to kick in every locked door and clear all eight apartments while the FD was setting up hoses. You'd have thought they were little kids on Christmas morning. That youthful enthusiasm is adorable. :animlol:

Kicking in doors is a always a good time.

Even more fun if you get to hit it with a ram and throw a flash-bang in.

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,726 Posts
I bet they wouldn’t have lost the building if you hadn’t kicked all those doors and created a flow path..................

:dancingbanana:
Nice!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet they wouldn’t have lost the building if you hadn’t kicked all those doors and created a flow path..................

I don't have a degree in "fire science" so I can't say for sure. I do know the flames were already through the roof when we got there. And given how long it takes before Fire can begin throwing the first drop of water, that building was going to be a loss whether doors were open or closed.

Most importantly, no one died. And we rescued someone's pet bird and dog.

·
Way too busy
4,888 Posts
For the record, I was mostly joking and not trying to be a dick (hence the dancing banana). You guys did a fine job..

Kicking the doors to uninvolved apartments is unlikely to contribute to spread, but kicking the door to the fire unit well before the nozzle is ready to head in will do bad things.

But that said, it doesn’t take a degree in fire science to know that introducing fresh air to fire will make the fire bigger.

·
Registered
597 Posts

By kicking in doors all you did was introduce oxygen enabling the fire to grow. Fortunate no officers were hurt in a possible backdraft situation. Hopefully the Fire Department will have a "little chat" with the local police so this won't happen in the future. Oxygen is part of the triangle, take oxygen away, fire goes out.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By kicking in doors all you did was introduce oxygen enabling the fire to grow. Fortunate no officers were hurt in a possible backdraft situation. Hopefully the Fire Department will have a "little chat" with the local police so this won't happen in the future. Oxygen is part of the triangle, take oxygen away, fire goes out.
We already had the "little chat" when the Fire Commander asked us to clear all the apartments for them while they began laying hoses. Guess what that required us to do? Knock open locked doors.

I'm not a fireman, never had the slightest interest in it, and I'm not versed in the nuances of do's and dont's of apartment building fires. Next time a fireman asks my guys to help like that I'll say "not gonna do it because a guy on the internet said not to."

·
Registered
597 Posts
We already had the "little chat" when the Fire Commander asked us to clear all the apartments for them while they began laying hoses. Guess what that required us to do? Knock open locked doors.

I'm not a fireman, never had the slightest interest in it, and I'm not versed in the nuances of do's and dont's of apartment building fires. Next time a fireman asks my guys to help like that I'll say "not gonna do it because a guy on the internet said not to."
No sense getting snippy, butt-hurt, I will tell you if a small town fireman tells you to kick open doors on a fire, tell him "NO" He clearly or they don't have a clue on how fire works & proper ventilation tactics. Plus, next time they tell you to do that, if there's a backdraft or flashover, I GUARANTEE you will won't do that again if you survive it! I do have a degree in Fire Science. Perhaps you need to take the guy's advice on the internet after all, research it yourself, teachable moment for you and the fireman. Our department did both Police & Fire.

·
I feel pretty.
3,098 Posts

That ain't the Taj Mahal. Nobody cares about a cheapo stick and drywall apartment building. New one can be up in as little as a month. I've seen nicer buildings made out of paper in china.

Fire marshal says kick doors, so my firefighters don't get blasted by a crazy shut in with a 12g, what ya going to do?

·
Way too busy
4,888 Posts
That ain't the Taj Mahal. Nobody cares about a cheapo stick and drywall apartment building. New one can be up in as little as a month. I've seen nicer buildings made out of paper in china.
I don’t give a **** about a building, I care about a manageable 1-2 room and contents fire now becoming a 3 alarm fully involved building and hurting a cop, firefighter, or civilian in the process.

Fire marshal says kick doors, so my firefighters don't get blasted by a crazy shut in with a 12g, what ya going to do?
Dafuq tangent are you going on here!? Literally NOT the scenario being discussed.

·
I feel pretty.
3,098 Posts
I know.

It's more about the why ''so giddy''? I'm not going to be all smiles, kicking doors.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
It will all be ok. In the meantime:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: pgg00

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Sucking in combustion by-products and heated aromatic hydro-carbons without a Dräger or Scott air pack is no fun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts