Giant Schnauzer?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Black Metal, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Black Metal

Black Metal

I am interested in a good home protection/family dog. We have two cats and a 8 month old little girl:) I heard this breed was good with kids, other pets and also a good protector. They also have few health issues. Any feedback? Any other breeds i should consider or am i asking for too much?

Blacula Metal

Happy Halloween

2. Eagle78101

Eagle78101

We have had two GS's. The first one was so severly displaystic we were forced to put him down. He also suffered from bladder infections. Our current one is huge, healthy and a wonderful dog. However, he is big and several grooming stores refuse to handle GS's because of their size. They are prone to health issues and they are very strong dogs. They are not a good choice for small children, too rambunctious.

Great breed, but purchase from a reputable breeder and discuss health issues with your vet before buying one.

3. Black Metal

Black Metal

Thanks Eagle. Guess I should look into other breeds.

Blacula Metal

4. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Thoroughly review the Doberman Pinscher thread.

You won't find a more person-oriented dog. Period. You won't find a more naturally protective dog (ONLY dog breed bred for the purpose of protecting its family). Period. Dobes are a VERY loving breed and are like living velcro. They thrive around their people and will suffer if left without their people (kept outside, etc.).

If you go through a solid breeder (located via the AKC and/or other reputable sources) health issues will be minimal.

Its common knowledge that if you own a Doberman, you will always own a Doberman, or wish you did.

My Dobes have protected my wife on a couple occassions (even from other dogs) and prevented untold other instances just because they're Dobermans and no one wants to test their legendary defense abilities.

My rescue female (7 years old now) was abused and neglected. Left outside 24/7. She has some aggression issues with other dogs and sometimes strange people. My 12 year old nephew came to visit and she slept with him, ate near him, played with him and was basically HIS dog for his stay with us. What I'm saying is that even though she had a VERY ROUGH life before coming to us, she STILL distinguished between friend and stranger status and treated our nephew like her own son... literally. He'd go to bed, she'd go upstairs with him, hop in bed and clean him (lick profusely). Then, never leave his side until HE got up and came downstairs in the AM. My male is the same way with my wife. Woo to the man who'd try to harm my wife if Deuce is present... 90 lbs of love, muscle and utter reluctance to quit.

Read the thread. There's not a better family dog.

5. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

I have a half-Great Dane/half-Dobe mix. He's great. He has 80% of the Dane's size, but the temperment of a Dobe. He is VERY protective of the family, almost too protective. The rear of our house is elevated, and he likes go growl at the neighbors, inside THEIR fenced yard. lol Very annoying. I also know that if ANYONE breaks into my house at night, they're going to have to kill him, because while he's a big lover, we will defend us with his life.

6. Eagle78101

Eagle78101

I agree with the postings about Doberman Pinschers. I have had those too, (husband and I are big fans of large guard dogs and used to be active in Schutzhund) and Dobes are some of the best. Good with kids, intelligent, easy to maintain and flawless guard dogs.