Gf wants a 08 Honda Hybrid

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by racer11, Mar 6, 2014.

1. racer11

racer11

School me and advise,,,, are they problematic with the battery to maintain and costly to replace. We just wonder if we would regret buying one,,, anybody have one or know someone who has one.

2. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

My folks bought a Prius when they were fairly new and AZ was offering a rebate. While I can't remember the cost of replacement batteries they were shocked and sold the car. No problems up to that point, except a dismal lack of power. Semi trucks were passing them while going up a long grade. The A/C couldn't cut it here in Arizona when it got very hot either.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Last year I bought a Honda Fit. Amazing car! I'm a big guy and true to it's name I fit. I get from 35-40mpg with it and plenty of power for both the hills and A/C. There is an amazing amount of room in this little car.

4. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

What's wrong with a regular Honda? A Hybrid is not a good car to own without a factory warranty.

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

heres my 2 cents.

buddys wife wanted a civic , bought a used 08 hybrid civic . he was against it .

week later the hybrid system failed . without warranty the dealer would not help , they still have it and now its just like a regular car . to change batteries and fix was priced at 4,000 bucks .

he is pissed , she is in dog house .

ONLY BUY A HYBRID WITH A LONG WARRANTY . JUST SAYIN

6. meathead19

meathead19

Most batteries come with an eight-year or 100,000-mile warranty.

After that you may be paying $2K-$4K for a new one.

7. vettely

vettely

Skip the hybrid. The few extra mpgs is not worth all the extra crap just waiting to break, die, wear out, etc.

8. kawalerzysta

kawalerzysta

If you want hybrid, go with Toyota or Ford, much better systems.

9. racer11

racer11

Thanks guys for the input and advice,,,,,,I was doing some searching on this subject and found too many issues with the Hybrid. We are going to look at the plain ole civic,,,in fact I'm trying to make arrangements to see a older civic (98) tomorrow that is offered for 2K.

10. goldenlight

goldenlight

The Honda hybrid system is very, very poor compared to the one used by Toyota.

RUN AWAY from this car. it's being sold by someone who is tired of having trouble with it.

I know someone who bought a Honda Civic Hybrid brand new. The battery was replaced once under warranty. LOTS of things were fixed under warranty. But, that's a PITA, even if it doesn't cost you money. You are without your car for a day or 2 or 3.

And, the car has NEVER gotten the advertized mileage.

DON'T LET HER BUY THIS CAR!!!!

just buy a 'regular' Honda. They get decent mileage, and have WAY, WAY less problems than the Honda Hybrids do.

11. paul45

paul45

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  12. Jaykwish

Jaykwish

Ditch the "hybrid" idea. If she's buying it for gas mileage there are many better vehicles that are cheaper that get just as good of mpg's than a hybrid. If she's buying it because it says hybrid then she can buy a car that has a model that's a hybrid and buy the badge from the factory, no one will be any wiser.

13. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

My sister in law has had one since 2008 has over 100K on it , no problems to date she lives in Indy and it is her commuter car gets her about 45 plus MPG with mixed driving.

She can drive any car she wants but she loves the Hybird , and she's not a tree hugger, a little to the right of Rush.