Getting used to carrying... with one in the chamber.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by slym2none, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

This....

There are numerous situations where you won't have the time or the ability to rack the slide. I have heard that not carrying with one on the chamber is the same as carrying a stick... This may not be completely accurate but it does apply to many (or most) situations so I never carry without one in the chamber. Make sure you invest in a good holster that covers the trigger guard and has positive retention.
    The example that illustrated one of these situations for me the best is sitting in a car when you are surprised by an attacker holding a knife to your neck. You will need one hand to block the knife if you can and the other to draw and shoot. Examples like this are endless... Remember, in a self defense situation you will almost always be surprised when you least expect it.

tuica likes this.
  2. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

3. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

I agree with you. The Constitution guarantees our right to bear arms and is silent about proficiency.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    slym2none likes this.
  4. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

I
    I am 56. My Cherokee Indian Father had me in the woods at age 5. At age 7, I was on a deer stand by myself with a Browning Auto 5 Standard 16 Gauge. Like he told us growing up: “ I’ve never seen anyone wear a safety out. “. Be confident but have a healthy fear of firearms.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    PhotoFeller likes this.
  5. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Have you ever carried a revolver with a round in every cylinder? Would you carry it in the house that way?

6. glockophile42

glockophile42

7. slym2none

slym2none Ain't got the Wu Flu.

This is my first pistol. If I owned a revolver, yes I'd carry with all six cylinders loaded. But that's neither here nor there, different gun and different operating system.

Just let me get used to it, guys. I am sure I will.

8. fredj338

fredj338

Well I am not afraid. Liberal, snowflakes (not you) live in fear, I do not. I teach people to respect the tool, firearm, table saw, whate ever. Fear, uh, no. Fear as a general term comes out of ignorance or lack of control. Fear water because you cant swim, learn to,swim, then respect what the water is capable of.

glockophile42 likes this.
  9. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

I agree. No one has the right to go out at night.

10. fredj338

fredj338

Its really not terribly diff. 5.5# trigger pul vs 8#, still no safety, still able to fire. Imo, if the chambered round scares you, either practice a lot more, or switch guns. A DA/SA like a Sig or HK has that nice long DA pull. Pretty hard to mess that up, but really, its just a training issue.
    My first ccw was a 1911. It creeped me out that I was carrying a cocked gun with safety & 4-5#, no take up trigger. Fast forward 45y, I rarely think about my guns much. Its always loaded, at least how i treat them. Follow basic safety protocol, a ND should be amazingly rare.

11. slym2none

Is my first post confusing people? I carry with a round in the chamber outside my house. I do. I am not scared. I am just aware of it in my mind.

Well, I'd edit my first post for clarity, but I can't...

tuica likes this.
  12. fredj338

fredj338

Yet sometimes one has to go places & do things that normally they might avoid. As free people we have the right to,go where we like. Criminal turds shouldnt makes us hide in our homes with a 12ga in our laps.

PhotoFeller and tuica like this.
  13. fredj338

fredj338

Me too, but like I tell people, either do the right thing or govt will make you do it. As an instructor I want those choosing to be armed to reach at least competence with their given platform. Just buying a gun & box of ammo then not understanding the responsibility is just reflecting poorly on all gun owners.

PhotoFeller likes this.
  14. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

You’re only a badass if your semi-auto pistol automatically makes the sound of a double action revolver cocking every time you point it at somebody.

slym2none and tuica like this.
  15. tuica

tuica

Well, no need to add the the (mostly), sound advice here. What amuses me, in film and on television, is when the Super-Duper, years of experience, Special OP’s guy, chamber-checks right before he engages the BG’s. I believe you do that before you go “outside the wire.” Not at the last minute. “Gee, did I already rack one in - or not?”

16. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

You've taken the first step by making a commitment to EDC. The next step would be to take a course in Concealed Carry. Not just the course to get your permit, but a well respected course (sometimes up to a full five days) designed to develop your skills in EDC. During that time you will carry concealed and get comfortable with all the issues that are new to you. And you will be exposed to the proper technique for carrying, drawing from a concealed holster and all the safety factors involved.

Borg Warner and slym2none like this.
  17. slym2none

I've installed the app on my gun that makes drawing from the holster sound like a sword being drawn from its sheath in every movie, ever.

NoStress and TheDreadnought like this.
  18. jp 19

jp 19

or if you revolver has a “silencer” on it :cheers:

TheDreadnought likes this.
  19. fredj338

fredj338

Sounds stupid but does happen. Talking with a LEO buddy of mine today when we went to train/practice. He said before he does a bldg search, he chamber checks. I gave him this wtf look & asked," didn't you check when you went on duty, what changed?" I dont chamber check, load one in the chamber, full mag, stays that way until I shoot it.

NoStress likes this.
  20. jp 19

jp 19

haven’t chamber checked in months...