Getting used to carrying... with one in the chamber.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by slym2none, Jun 3, 2020.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Ok so lets look at this premise of yours. First you are carrying a 5# trigger with internal safety features, not no safety. Not like putting a cocked revo in your pants. Btw, A manual safety means crap as to a ND. All ND are shooter errors & negated with training. How do you invision your ND happening? While holstering? Training. While presenting? You are more likely to shoot your hand chambering a round than just presenting the fully loaded weapon.
    You can justify your fear anyway ypu like but if there is any chance of an attack, I want my gun to be ready, I want my skill level to exceed the attackers because I certainly will be reactive. I think I have made my point quite clear. You my friend are the one in denial about your training, skill, ability & fear. Otherwise you would not be so afraid of something you actually have 100% control of. Where as in an attack, you will have virtually no control of until you can get your weapon into the fight. 100% vs 0%, seems pretty simple.

2. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Fred, it’s been fun jousting with you, but it’s time to move on. Maybe this topic will come up again and we can go at it some more. In the meantime, carry on, stay safe, make sure you’re all set to vote in November.

Cabel67, GlockyQ and Sgtthump like this.

3. Sgtthump

Sgtthump

Perfect! There’s really to reason to justify your decisions to someone on the Internet that just doesn’t matter. Thumbs up.

Cabel67 and PhotoFeller like this.
  4. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

People like the OP who come here for advice and counsel, especially those who are new to having a concealed carry license, need to understand that there are important options that should be carefully thought through when choosing a firearm, committing to SD proficiency and deciding on carry mode. One size does not fit all. That matters.

Discussions posted here may help people decide whats best to satisfy their concealed carry needs. There are valid approaches that don’t require becoming a devotee of extreme combat readiness, in my opinion.

Carrying a firearm is a daunting responsibility, and the first principle of gun ownership must be safety first.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  5. unit1069

unit1069

Hear, hear ...

This is very well put and I'm one who believes everyone bears responsibility for deciding his/her own system. We're all individuals with independent thought, in my opinion.

That said, this long-time Condition 3 advocate has recently been tutored on how suddenly a potentially deadly attack can develop. I've decided to primarily carry the pistol with the manual safety, the in-between solution.

Cabel67, Sgtthump and PhotoFeller like this.
  6. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

“In-between“ with a manual safety is a very sweet spot.

Cabel67 and Sgtthump like this.
  7. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

I've been seeing this thread a while, but opened it only after 17 pages of replies. Wow! I see the OP is now gone and don't feel like sifting through the replies. I was just wondering if the OP had gotten used to a round in the chamber in the months since he posted. It only took me a week after my vasectomy to get used to NOT having "one in the chamber."

8. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

So, you went from ‘one in the chamber’ to ‘none in the chamber’ to avoid a negligent discharge?

Bullwinkle J Moose likes this.
  9. OdinIII

OdinIII

I think he was worried about the effectiveness of a negligent discharge.

10. FLGuy

FLGuy

Ever try putting out a flash fire with an empty extinguisher?

PrescottGlock likes this.
  11. professor kv

professor kv Hey! Who turned out the lights?

Been there. No thanks.

Carry with one in the chamber. If you don't trust your firearm, get a different one.

If you don't trust yourself, get training, change your holster/carry position. If that doesn't do it, you may need to reconsider carrying a firearm.

Just my .02. YMMV.

youngde811 and LinuxLover like this.
  12. Ron 1st.

Ron 1st.

My opinion and my opinion only. If you carry a semi automatic and don't have one in the pipe, you are carrying a paperweight. Just a view from the cheap seats.

youngde811 likes this.
  13. Cabel67

Cabel67

Excellent answer.

PhotoFeller likes this.
  14. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

If you actually need a gun for reactive self-defense, you probably need it quickly;
    and if you are already in a fight you might not have both hands free.

15. Jonny Yuma

Jonny Yuma

If you're practicing good trigger discipline and good muzzle control, how is a chamber empty gun any safer than otherwise?

Almost every time someone has an nd they say "I didn't know it was loaded". It's what happens when you get your "safe" guns mixed up with your "unsafe" guns.

No one is infallible, but then neither is any mechanical device. As far as I'm concerned all guns are always loaded, there is simply no substitute for safe gun handling.

ChuteTheMall likes this.
  16. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    If you are not comfortable with one in the chamber, maybe you are not comfortable carrying. I would be uncomfortable carrying a firearm that wasn’t immediately available for use. But that’s just me.

17. Orb Jr.

Orb Jr. Not Square

Guns don't shoot themselves. People do.

18. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

You have to pull the pin. Precious time lost.
    No one is suggesting carrying with an empty magazine.