Getting t old for this shi*, found for two hours, finally won.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock-O-Rican, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

So my Road Bike need NEW TIRES, it was time. I decided to replace the Continentals that had like 4,000 Miles on them with some Forte's I bought when Performance Bike Folded.

Continental have been on and off several times for rotatation, or an flat. So I remove old Tires, Clean Rims, Clean Tubes, Clean "Tuff Liners".

Fight begins that new folding tire are a bit** to even get on one side of rim. Finally I start workeding on number two rim. Leave number one in sun to heat up rubber.

These are fooking tires, so it a bummer always to mount first time.

Finally ther two hour of fighting, both wheels are back on bike, both thumbs are blistered. This is a job I use to know out fast.

Now both Thumbs are blistered, and bandaged.

capnjim01, Inyo Tim and FullClip like this.
  2. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Tires that need mounting, all go to a tire shop now. No more wrestling, no more breaker bars, no more sliding screwdrivers, no more flames and setting beads.
    Nope, got a local place that’ll mount a tire $8 cash. Done!

redrick likes this.

3. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I used to struggle a bit with bicycle tires, then I started mounting and balancing my own KLR 650 motorcycle tires by hand with had levers. After wrestling with those dual sport tires a few times a year sweating over my wheels like a monkey f-ing a football my tire mounting skills grew.

That and riding a roadbike here in the poconos I got good at changing tubes pretty quick from all the pot holes.

I usually use Continental Gator skins on my bicycle and haven't had any issues. Maybe just a stiff batch?

K. Foster likes this.
  4. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Well I watched a bunch of U-Tube looking for magic tricks. Think I should have left them in the sun by them selves, as it was 100 degrees yesterday. Then the Tire would have loosened up.

Like a dummy, I half mounted, and left in sun. Rims go hot as a bride on wedding nite also. Nice thing is now they will streach from inflation, and roll down road.

Thumbs look better this am, new gray walls look nice on only bike.

I worked in a auto tire shop before mechanical mounting & dismounting machines. Liguid soap was our friend, and strong back.

5. Fearless40

Fearless40 Secret Squirrel

New tires are always a nice feel when you start pedaling. I still favor the Continental Grand Prix 4000S on my road bike. I too have lots of miles on a few sets of them. I 'm still old school 700x23 though. After changing tires a few times and tubes by the side of the road for years it got easier. The right tire levers make it a smoother process. As home I use two blue plastic Park Tool levers which make it easier but I don't carry those on the road. On the road Ive got a single lever that is attached to a multi-tool. Its never fun though. Tubes are what I hate. They all suck.

6. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

OK... but NEXT TIME, you will look like a pro!

7. drumgod

drumgod

Beats changing sew-ups. I have a "quick stick" in my seat bag. IMO, they're the maglula of tire maintenance... I have the worst time with lawn tractor tires.

GlockPride likes this.
  8. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

I have change like 500 + tire that were flat, or demonstrated the technigue for new people in our cycling club. So I know how to do a tire change, or flat repair. We had a rule club ride the ride leader road last position to help new people. Drove me nuts that people could not even change a flat.

These Forte Tires were like the worst I have ever encountered, new out of the box. I hope they are as good as advertised as they are similar to the Gators.

I am old, my hands do not have the strenth of a 20-50 y/o. But in the end I got them on.

Like I said I am hoping now that the dam Forts's are installed they will do the normal stretching out a tad, so when I rotate it will be a piece of cake. To rotate, or fix a flat.

9. redrick

redrick

Here’s what I use to change my car , truck and trailer tires .
    2D593554-459B-4AF0-A716-FDE3E17951C7.jpeg