close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting stationed in kansas

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by valkyrie182, Jan 12, 2006.

1. valkyrie182

valkyrie182

I just found out my first assignment will be to McConnel Air Force Base in Kansas. I'm a big time backpacker, and have so far been unable to locate any sort of good hiking trails in the area. I've heard there is some phenominal hunting in the area, but I havent found many non-hunting outdoor activities around the base. Is anyone familiar with the area, and can they recommend any good areas for outdoor activities?

2. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Being that I just moved to Saint Louis from Wichita, where I lived all of my 26 years of life, I know the area.

I wouldn't say that there are many trails anywhere in Wichita area .... There IS great hunting in Kansas but there is no hunting at McConnel AFB ;)

I know everything about Wichita though if you need any assistance ....

3. valkyrie182

valkyrie182

I suppose I should just sell the climbing gear and buy a .270 then. Any tips on good areas would be appreciated.

4. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

brother lives in wichita, when i was out there in November i don't recall seeing to many Mountains, umm hills, umm.. bumps.. lol.. well that's not entirely true.. It was more like moderatly rolling hills..

I hunted pheasent with him and it was a blast.. Saw plenty of deer but honestly can't report on the hunting overall.. Seems a LOT of the property is private land and or clubs..

I wouldn't get rid of your climbing gear, your gonna get transfered at some point to another duty station.. It won't go bad in between :)

Get yourself that .270 and get'r done.. lol..

Jeff.

PS: i certainly don't think i'd hesitate to much to move out there if i actually had the oppurtunity..