close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting started

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by GlockNess, Feb 15, 2006.

1. GlockNess

GlockNess

I plan on getting into shooting at GSSF event. After renewing my GSSF membership, what will I need to get started? How many rounds of ammo do I need per event? How many magazines is the norm?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Nessie

2. GlockNess

GlockNess

Oh, yeah... I shoot a Glock 19. I haven't ever competed, but I'm won the Battalion Top Gun Trophy numberous times in the U.S. Army.

Which class would you suggest?

Nessie

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

with a g19 you can shot in AmCiv, Master Stock, Comp, and Unlimited. if it were me i'd shoot all 4 classes. i take 10 mags plus one for a stripper mag per class since i hate to load mags at a match. i'd say at least you'd need 4 mags. you need 100 or so rounds, 10 mags w/10 rounds plus a stripper mag with 10 rounds, but there's a good chance you wouldn't fire every round.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Nessie,

The two matches most likely to be closest to you are Ft. Benning next month and Conyers in September. Bring 150 rounds per entry and a folding chair. Minimum round count is 81, maximum 107, depending on your ability to hit the steel targets.

5. GlockNess

GlockNess

Thanks, guys! Mag count at present is 3. I need a few more. I have an ammo sponsor being a Pro hunter and writer, but there's nothing like loading them yourself- one round at a time.

Nessie

6. Benton

Benton

You need 10 mags? I was told you need 4. If in fact you do need 10 Mags, why is this geared towards the wealthy clique?

7. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

You do not "NEED" more than the two mags that come with the gun. GSSF is geared to the new shooter and reloading a mag or two on the line is perfectly acceptable.

Having 4 magazines is great as it allows you to preload the maximum number of rounds needed for one entry in the GLOCK the plates stage. If you are shooting only one entry then you are set with four magazines.

If you have the money and want to preload the entire match THEN 10 magazines are a good idea for one entry.

I have (after several years of collecting) enough magazines to shoot six guns at the plates continuosly. That would be "24" magazines. :)

Bring what you have and enjoy the day! :)

By the way...10 round magazines in the free states can be had for little money. I recently purchased a bunch at $8 each for new. These are perfect for GSSF and IDPA with their 10 round limits. Cheap way to add to the collection and meet the needs of the game! :)

8. Benton

Benton

Thanks for your answer! I will be shooting my first match sometime this year. Gary.

9. GlockNess

GlockNess

As will this Gary!

10. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Hi Gary.....Festus( Dennis) here let me know when you want to go. Glockness welcome aboard. I am sure EDE ( he's on our Team IndyGlockers) can be of assistance...he's scheduled for Fort Benning as well, and could be a Mentor at the match...Ed and his wife are terrific people ( like all the other Glockers).

Gary...only (4) mags needed...but if you have 10 you will not have to reload mags between the diffrent courses of fire....more time to visit with fellow Glockers and catch up on current events. ;f

11. Benton

Benton

Don't know if i'll have 10 magazines this year, but i'll definately have the 4. I understand the advantage/convenience of having the 10 but i am weighing the additional cost. Anyway, I'll see you at the range when it warms up. To cold to shoot now. I'm cold blooded you know! Gary.

12. GlockNess

GlockNess

I'm looking forward to getting involved! By the way, I completed the NRA RSO course this past week end.