close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting Started

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Boris49, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Boris49

Boris49 Soot Shooter

I purchased my first Glock "For Competition Only" today. A 17-L. My son is looking at a G-34.

The closest match to us is in Indianapolis this summer, so there should be plenty of time to practice and break in the hardware/ammo. The question is: Should an experienced shooter, but new to Glock competition, stay in the stock classes? My son is champing at the bit to build an unlimited.

Our primary competition is cowboy action shooting where we both do very well and my primary activity is a cowboy gun smith.

Can someone point us in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

2. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

I would recommend starting in stock and seeing how you like it. GSSF can be lots of fun, but why invest the money for an unlimited setup until you have some experience with it. With the stock Glock you can shoot in any class (although you may not be competitive) and I believe more prizes are awarded in stock class (because of the number of participants) than in the other classes. Just my humble opinion...

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

you, or he, can shoot unlimited with any glock, stock or other wise. your 34 and 17L will only be gssf leagal in comp and unlimited. i shoot all 6 classes with a 17, 17L, 26, and 39.i'm in the process of building a 34 for unlimited with a red dot.

if i were you 'd buy or use a glock, or two, that allows you to compete in several classes. for example a 17 would be legal in unlimited, comp, master stock, and am civ. a 26 would be legal in all of the named classes plus sub. a g30 would add major sub to the list.

4. Boris49

Boris49 Soot Shooter

That's a couple of good ideas!

I've got a 27. Perhaps a 17 ought to be next. The used prices on 17's are fairly reasonable. That might leave room for a 35.;)

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

May I recommend that you go to www.gssfonline.com and review the rules for GSSF and what Glocks are legal in what classes before you go out and buy a bunch of Glocks. Not that I am against buying any Glocks but if you are just starting in GSSF you need to know what guns are authorized. The registration form on that sight lists all Glocks authorized in each category. Also depending on your sons age he may be legal shooting the 17L in the Amature Stock categories which us old guys cannot. Just trying to be helpfull and point you in the right direction. I have been shooting GSSF since 1998. Many of us could give you tons of advise but knowing the rules is a must to start any competition shooting.;)

6. Boris49

Boris49 Soot Shooter

Thanks Don. My son is 32 so not only can he shoot most classes that I can, he's got a job with money coming in!

My wife saw the "new" Glock box on my desk and seems "interested". I could never get her into cowboy shooting, but she likes double-action wheel guns. This could turn into a family affair.

I've been through the rules once, but I'm going to print them out to study them further. I appreciate the input.

7. Don At PC

Boris49;

Great, making it a family affairnmakes it much more fun. Unfortunately based on your sons age he will have to follow the same rules we do but I am sure he will have a blast. My son-in-law and I shot the Indy match 2 years ago but were unable to make it last year. Maybe this year. Glad I didn't offend you with my post. I have seen too many just say they wanted to get started after they went out and bought a Glock or 2 or modified them with new gadgets and then found they were not legal in the categories they wanted to shot. Feel free to asked as many questions as you want or need, there is a wealth of info here.

8. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Glad you're interested in GSSF events. The outdoor events are great and Indy is neat. Also, the indoor Gssf events are fun too, but are quite different from the outdoor ones. As Ede said, a G17 would get you into Amateur Civilian (or Am. Guardian if you are a policeman, firefighter, emt). At 17L or G34 can be used in Competiton divison. As someone said, just read the rules. Also, you can download an application and it will have listed what guns can be used in what categories. Plus, there are categories for high adult female, high jr. male and jr. female (under 18), high challenged person and high senior (55 and over). Plus you can win random drawings for money and guns. A Glock Armour is present at the GSSF matches to check your guns, so that's neat also. We just have lots and lots of fun, and that in itself is a win-win situation. Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing you a Indy and maybe Marietta, Michigan and Lexington. Good shooting and welcome.

:cool:

9. Boris49

Boris49 Soot Shooter

We're headed to the Indy 1500 gun show today. Based on what I read of the rules last night, I think a G17 will be our next purchase.

Don: A good friend of mine who goes by the alias of "Just Wild Bill" (a Kirkpatrick rep out of Florida and good gunsmith) is the gentleman who talked me into the 17 L. He has a Carver rig on his gun with a C-More.

He suggested that I get the Hunter model mount so that I don't need to open the ejection port. Assuming y'all can't talk me out of the unlimited gun, would you suggest the Hunter model mount?

10. Don At PC

Boris49; You can't go wrong with the 17L, Carver mount and C-more setup. That is exactly what I am shooting un Unlimited. I did have my ejection port lowered and it purrrrrrrrrs like a kitten. I personally prefer the Competition Carver Mount because it sets lower to the slide but the draw back is that you need to have the ejection port lowered and sometimes an extended ejector. I have been shooting with Team Carver a couple years now and was one of the lucky Amature shooters who was given the opportunity to test and evaluate the prototype Carver mount before it was offered to the public. I can tell you with all honesty that whether you choose the Hunter Model or the Competition Model that you wont find a better mount on the market. You also wont find a better shooter and Gentleman than Bobby Carver. He will be more than happy to help you in any way he can any time. Welcome to the world of fun and friendly competition.:cool:

11. Boris49

Boris49 Soot Shooter

Well, I'll call Bobby on Monday. I think we'll start with the Hunter as I'd prefer not to modify the slide on the 17c....it's hard to know how many more Glock will produce.

Thanks for your help...along with the help of the other people above. We needed a break from cowboy competition to stay "fresh". It looks like GSSF and the folks who play the game is a good choice!

Thanks again.

12. Boris49

Boris49 Soot Shooter

One other question: I saw in the rules that Fibre sights are now legal. It wasn't clear to me what the other choices (besides the stock Glock sights) might be and what type and color most folks prefer for a stock 17 (not the 17L) gun classes.

Any advice?

My 27 has Meps on it right now.

13. Don At PC

All post and notch styled sights are legal. I tried the front FO and really didn't care for it. It was a Dawson. I went back to using the Dawson adjustible target sights and my scores improved. On my stock Glocks I prefer either Dawson or Heinies.

14. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Boris...loks like you already met my dear friends and fellow Team Mates from IndyGlockers and Carver Mounts....where in Indiana are you located...I'm up North...if I can be of help let me know.... ;f

15. Boris49

Boris49 Soot Shooter

I'm in Greenwood...about 10 miles south of Indianapolis.

16. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

Boris
    I would like to make a sugestion. If your wife could be interested in GSSF competition. Make your next Glock purchase one that she feels comfortable with. Let her hold the G17 and the G19. It won't make any difference to you or your son which one you get. It is most important that she has one that feels good.

17. GLW

GLW

If you like the fiber optic front sight, there are many good ones to choose from. I've tried several and use them on my IPSC production class glock. For GSSF I came to the conclusion that they detracted from a precise sight picture, at least for me. I've gone back to conventional post front sights. Dawson Precision makes some fine sight combinations and I've been particularly impressed with some Ameriglo sights that I've been experimenting with. You might want to check out their websites to see what they offer. A narrow front post with a wide rear notch seems to help my tired eyes get on target. (Now, if I could just keep them on the target...) I'm your neighbor to the south in northern KY. If that is convenient to you, I'd be happy to let you try several sight combos out before you make your decision. Just let me know. Have fun.

18. Boris49

Boris49 Soot Shooter

Thanks for the replies!

FS. I think a 17 will be fine for her. She's got fairly good size hands...but not a strong grip. I'll be interested to see how she shoots the 17L before the C-more is installed.

GLW. I'll be down at Knob Creek 2 weeks from Sunday for a cowboy match and a break in of the new 17L. If you're nearby, send me an email and perhaps we could meet if that would fit with your schedule.

Thanks for the offer, by the way.

19. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Boris...Grady is one of the top shooters for GSSF....he's close and has offered assistance.....you are in great hands....hope to see ya at a match soon. ;f

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Then you're close enough to mark the next Lexington/Wilmore KY regional GSSF match on your calendar. It is October 28-29, 2006 (ninth annual match) and tends to draw a more than average number of shooters (300-400+).