close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting Started in USPSA with Glock 22

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glockasaurus Rex, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Glockasaurus Rex

Glockasaurus Rex Degüello

I want to get started in a local competition that follows USPSA rules and guidelines. I have a stock Glock 22. What modifications should I make and where's a good place to get parts? I'm talking about extended mag release, sights, mag related items, etc. I've seen mods such as mag wells, tungsten guide rods, 3.5# connectors, etc. I'm looking into either the Kytac 1 or the Kytac Sooper Hooper as my holster. I know the Kytac 1 is illegal for IPSC but I believe it's ok for USPSA. Also, would the WWB 180gr ammo be ok? Wal-Mart has the 100rd box at a reasonable price. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    -DRe.

2. pstmstr

pstmstr

I just started a couple of months ago and love it. The Kytac holster and mag pouches are great. Get a 1 and 1/2 inch stiff belt. Might consider changing your sights to something like a Dawson fiber optic front and go with an extended mag release and slide release. Other than that, but some cheap Blazer ammo or WWB and practice a lot. Good luck.

3. MarkP

MarkP

if you really feel the need to modify your 22 - Custom Glock Racing is the best resource. Matt has everything you mention and then some.

www.customglock.com

4. USPSA Guy

USPSA Guy

Wait until you shoot a match before buying anything. There should be plenty of Glocks there that you can check out.

If you buy a bunch of stuff and shoot Production, you may find the parts you added are not allowed. Magwells aren't allowed in Production, but are the rage in Limited. Your tungsten guiderod would be good to go in Limited but not in Production. Just a couple of examples.

5. Glockasaurus Rex

Not down here they're not. It's a small club and the shooters are very nice, helpful, people, but they all shoot 1911 based guns; STI, Para-Ordnance, Springfield Armory, etc. I was tempted to just buy a Para P-16 Limited, but no, I carry GLOCK, I want to shoot GLOCK. More than anything, I want to use hi-cap mags, and use the fiber optic sights as well as the mag well, extented mag release, tungsten guide rod. I know my carry GLOCK doesn't have a mag well, but I know from competing before (twice..LOL) that the competitive juices start flowing and I want to shoot fast and straight. That includes not losing time during mag changes.

The first time I competed, my best friend and I shot Beretta 92F pistols. Some shooters gave us funny looks and scoffed. But those Berettas, like em or not, kept shooting while some of those $3000 custom guns were gasping and choking on their ammo. I placed 3rd overall. My only other match was a "concealed carry match" and I shot my GLOCK 23. THAT'S when I fell in love with GLOCKs. SA triggers might be nice for shooting bullseye, but when it comes to combat, nothing beats that GLOCK Safe Action Trigger. It just felt so good, the timing, the response of the trigger, just inspired confidence. I won 1st Place trophy in my catagory.

Another reason I want to shoot GLOCK is that a lot of shooters down here, although they are nice and helpful, are snooty towards GLOCKs. You know how some 1911 snobs can be. I would like nothing better than to do well with a GLOCK. See, what did I say about competitive juices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    -DRe.

6. cmzneb

cmzneb

I love it too when a Glock beats the Glock bashers!!! :supergrin:

7. cmzneb

cmzneb

I recently put together a G35 to shoot Limited in USPSA.

Added a Glockmeister brass magwell.

Put a THE s/s captured guide rod with ISMI 13# spring in it.

Heinie slant pro sights

Taylor Freelance +5 mag extensions. (20+1 capacity in the gun now)

Gun shot great for the first few hundred rounds..... I am shooting it better than my G34 production gun. But then just the other day....... Malfunctions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Took that darn guide rod out and put the stock one back in. I just cannot trust those things!!! I have tried and tried these things, but to me it is more important for the gun to work every time, rather than have a slightly noticable improvement in handling but the gun doesn't go bang every time.

8. Glockasaurus Rex

So with that set up you can shoot Limited in USPSA? Can I use these sights?

http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1101241117

or something like them?

As far as the tungsten rod, I thought it improved function, but if they're that bad, forget it. I'd rather have stock and have it function than custom and be like those nimrod with their $3000 STI's malfunctioning every other shot. (I saw one guy like that with his race gun) thanks. Keep that advice coming.
    -DRe.

9. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

What I did to my G17:

Put on a plain black MMC rear made for the Glock and a Dawson Precision Fiber Optical front made for the Novak rear. The front sight is .160 high. I opened up the MMC rear a little with a file and Dremel. Looks like a small combat rear sight and it's adjustable. The front sight is very low and will fit any holster.

Left the slide rel and mag rel alone. I drop the mag with the side of the left thumb when shooting free style, I'm rt. handed.

A Scherer 3.5 connector is used with my trigger job and results in a crisp 2# trigger. The take up is removed.

I use a ISMI captured guide rod and 13# ISMI recoil spring, however the factory recoil system will serve you well.

10. MarkP

MarkP

yes you can use those sights.

Tungsten adds weight - read the technical page at CGR for a better explanation. Perfectly legal in Ltd/L10 & Open.
    As far as legal for Production - permitted as long as the gun doesn't exceed 2 oz. over stock.

11. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Set it up right and the tungsten rod will not change reliability and the gun will shoot much flatter

12. cmzneb

cmzneb

Please elaborate on how you "set it up right"...

I agree the gun shoots flatter, but losing 100% reliability is what bothers me.

13. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Mainly it is matching the spring to your shooting and your ammo which takes some time and testing.

14. Andrew Colglazier

Andrew Colglazier 3036 Promoter

I have a tungston NON-captured guide rod in my G24, 15 lb., functions perfectly.

Should work just fine in a G35 also.

I just picked up a G22, and have been thinking of trying it out in Limited, although I love my G24. Just something different. Thought I'd put on an extended slide stop, extended mag release, THE brass magwell, tungston guide rod (don't know what spring weight, yet), Heinie straight eights, not racecut.

I like the 5 lb. trigger, gives a nice, crisp break.

Andy C.

15. cmzneb

cmzneb

I was running a 13# in my G35 for a little while.... Maybe I should try a 15# spring.

At any rate it will take a while for me to trust putting that spring back in there for a competition. :)