Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Anyone else ever worry about getting shot by an LEO while using your CCW to defend yourself? I know that when LEO's show up they won't know who the "good guy" or "bad guy" is and if you've been successful at defending yourself and still have your gun out it seems like it'd be easy, in a case of mistaken identity, to get shot by the arriving LEO's. I wish there was some way for those of us that lawfully have our CCW's could be identified by LEO's that are arriving on the scene. I've seen those Concealed Carry Permit badges, anyone think they might be a good idea or would it be too much like "playing" Cop?

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
I don't worry about it. 99.9% of the scenarios I am likely to defend myself will be over in seconds and the best response for an officer will be measured in minutes. If I win I will be re-holstered and talking to them via cell phone and will do what they tell me at that point.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Why would you still be holding your gun if you have already succesfully defended yourself?
put it down or back in the holster. hopefully then they wont feel threatend by you.

Also i doubt having a cc badge on would change a police reaction to you standing there with a gun. Anyone could get one of those badges.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there is an LEO in the area and I have to defend myself and he sees this taking place I'm just worried that he'll shoot me first and ask questions later. A CCW Badge might make him stop and think for a split second before he's pulls the trigger which would give me time to identify myself. I mean, from a distance he'd not know if I was a fellow LEO or what so it might help me NOT get shot.
I know, I probably am worrying over nothing but hey, you need to figure this stuff out BEFORE you use your firearm, not during or after.

·
Rude Member
3,063 Posts
CCW badge, CCW sash, all good for spending money on something that will do nothing to prevent you from being mistaken for the bad guy. Put the gun away, put your hands up upon their arrival, make no sudden moves, and describe in detail to the 911 dispatcher what you look like, what you are wearing, and what the individual looks like, what they're wearing, so that when they arrive, they at least have an idea who's who.

This info came from the county undersheriff, who has responded in another city he worked for, to a few scenes where a ccw holder used their gun to defend themselves. It is in no way the be all end all approach to every situation, but it is what he recommended a private armed citizen do if ever in that situation.

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,526 Posts
Frank, you're watching too much television.

Talk to your local constabulary and ask them about their procedures at a scene like you're alluding to. I think you will learn that you have very little to worry about.

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts
Anyone else ever worry about getting shot by an LEO while using your CCW to defend yourself? I know that when LEO's show up they won't know who the "good guy" or "bad guy" is and if you've been successful at defending yourself and still have your gun out it seems like it'd be easy, in a case of mistaken identity, to get shot by the arriving LEO's. I wish there was some way for those of us that lawfully have our CCW's could be identified by LEO's that are arriving on the scene. I've seen those Concealed Carry Permit badges, anyone think they might be a good idea or would it be too much like "playing" Cop?
Enough undercover/plain clothes/off duty/out of jurisdiction cops get shot by other cops to debunk the idea of a badge.

Police generally don't shoot people unless

• You point guns at them
  • You ignore their commands to put guns down
  • You are shooting at them
  • You present some clear and immediate threat to them, or someone else
Yes, I know, there have been many instances where cops were turning on flashlights or thought they were tazing the baddie/etc...we are NOT :wow: talking about those things.

You would be extremely lucky or unlucky to be in a place where someone threatened your life with deadly force, and had to react, and had the police show up IN THAT INSTANT.

Let me ask you this:... you've just used your CCW to defend yourself. What do you do next? Have you given this any/much thought? Where would you have your gun if the bad guy/gal is down? What would you be doing? What do you think comes next? How long would it take in your jurisdiction to clear you or charge you? How long for a grand jury to convene? Is there a grand jury? Do the police routinely confiscate guns used in shootings? if yes, do you have more than one gun?

What plans have you made for if/when you get hit? Know any 1st aid? What if you hit an innocent bystander? Got plans for that? Have a lawyer? Do you have insurance? Do you have a living will? What if YOU get shot in the head, and have to go on life support?

See where I'm getting at?

'Drew

·
NRA Life Member
5,383 Posts
Your biggest threat will be the 'serious' Mall Ninja wanting to make the news... That is my only concern.

Hopefully they will use some verbal target ID speak prior to the 'sneak up behind you' head shot...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Looking at the AZ shootings a concealed carry holder came out and almost shot the good guy standing there with a gun in his hand. I would reholster immediately and not stand there with the gun in the hand.

·
3,859 Posts
Reholster immediately? You got to be kidding me? I don't care if I believe I have successfully stopped the assailant or not my gun will be pointing at him until the cops get there and handle the situation. And when they get there I won't reholster I will drop it on the ground so they know I am not doing anything funny. You don't know if they are dead or unconscious. Plus if that is what the feds are taught it is good enough for me.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Looking at the AZ shootings a concealed carry holder came out and almost shot the good guy standing there with a gun in his hand. I would reholster immediately and not stand there with the gun in the hand.
How do you "almost" shoot someone without ever drawing your weapon?:dunno:

I understand he thought it was the shooter at first, but he stopped himself quite short of harming the wrong person.

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
If you are in a position where you are forced to use your handgun to defend yourself, when the police arrive, don't have the gun in your hand. They'll make a preliminary determination whether you're a good guy or bad guy, your permit doesn't determine that. It's kind of like ramming someone with your vehicle. Your license just says you can drive. It doesn't say you can use a vehicle to take a life. For that, you have to show you had no other choice. A fake badge for your belt, blue line sticker for your car, or ccw grill for your teef all make you look foolish, at best, or like someone impersonating five-oh (Dante's voice) at worst.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"...Concealed Carry Permit badges, anyone think they might be a good idea.."

Badges are silly. If you have a CCW license (or even if you don't), you don't need no stinking badges.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
I think it's a bit simplistic to imagine these situations will consist only of CHL shoots BG and BG goes down.

What if CHL draws, gives verbal command and BG complies? What if CHL disarms BG? In either of those cases, situation remains dynamic until LE arrives, and weapon remains in play.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't think it was "a" gun in the hand of the bystander, it was "the" gun that the shooter used and had been taken away. I also think if there are bullets still flying the police won't be looking for a CCW badge, they'll see the gun in your hand.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Keep a cool head and you'll be fine. Identify yourself and don't go waving that pistol all around. Put you gun wherever the LEO tells you to. If the LEO shoots you by mistaking you for the bad guy, shoot back as maybe he isn't a LEO?

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,362 Posts
Getting shot by anyone is going to suck, but when was the last time a cop was around when you saw someone run a red light, stop sign, or they cut you off in traffic? How often have you made a mistake when driving and not been stopped?

Sure it can happen, but I don't worry about it. I expect my gun will likely be re-holstered by the time they arrive (I might even be on my second cup of coffee).

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts
I think it's a bit simplistic to imagine these situations will consist only of CHL shoots BG and BG goes down.

What if CHL draws, gives verbal command and BG complies? What if CHL disarms BG? In either of those cases, situation remains dynamic until LE arrives, and weapon remains in play.

How often does this scenario happen, or the OPs scenario?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts