close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting rid of the smell of infection..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mike253, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

My father has an infected foot (one that needs to be amputated to save his life). I was the one who had to clean him up to get him to agree to go to the hospital.

Between that 3 hours I spent doing that and the 2 hours in his hospital room tonight (with an undressed wound they decided to let drain), I can't get the smell out of the clothes I wore/sinus cavities..

Anyone (especially those in the medical field) have any suggestions?

2. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I'm sorry about your dad.

Not a medical guy but I'd try drinking a sip or three of scotch etc. letting the alcohol fumes linger in the sinuses. Short of that jalapenos, horse - radish or anything that might make give you a runny nose might help too. Menthol smelling stuff live vapor rubs etc. are used by one of my cop buddies to squelch bad smells.

3. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

also sorry for your dad . rub some vicks up close to nostrils

i know the smell you mention and its not good .

4. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Sorry to hear about your father. Wash your clothes real well and give your nose some time to clear out on its own. Part of it isn't your nose holding in the smell so much as your mind is holding onto the repulsive thought of the bad odor. It was so bad you can't forget it right now and so you keep smelling it even though your no longer around the odor any more. Does that make sense?

5. deadday

deadday

Do you smoke? A cigarette or two will kill damned near any smell. Short of that, vicks below the nostrils..

6. RustySocket

RustySocket

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Vicks vapor rub will help you not smell it.Does your pop have diabetes? Sorry to hear about that.

8. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

9. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

or a decent cigar

I've been there but it was dead bodies (lots of dead bodies) that I was dealing with.

10. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Coffee beans. Stiff on some coffee beans and it will reset your "smell" sensors or whatever they're called. If that doesn't work try the vicks deal. Sorry to hear about your father and I know the smell you speak of and it is VERY hard to get rid of

Let your clothes soak in the washer, ie let the washer fill up and put the soap in and let it agitate a bit, then stop the washer and let it soak in that state over night then continue the cycle on the washer and that should do it for the clothes.

11. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

I had MRSA in a surgical wound a couple of years ago that I ended up having to have skin grafts on and I was lucky to not lose my leg.
    Even with appropriate dressing and medical care, we had to throw away my mattress and sheets because they just "held" the odor. Even after washing, the sheets still smelled at the stitches, and the mattress, well, can't wash that.
    We had to professionally clean the carpet too, the rug doctor didn't do the trick.

It's bad. It permeates everything. I don't know how, but I empathize with you.

12. Kabarred

Kabarred

very pure alcohol has quite a bite to it. Maybe sniff some everclear or vodka?

13. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

All of your advice and well wishes are greatly apprecieted!

His infection was relatated to poor circulation. That was caused by a broken hip he dragged himself around on for 6 months before having it replaced. After refusing therapy, the just kinda sat around most of the time. At some point, he developed a blister on his heel, it wasn't properly treated. About 3-4 weeks ago, he stopped caring for the wound completely and his entire foot was taken over by the infection.

After soaking his sock in hot water, I was able to cut it off and find mounds of old bandages imbedded in the skin. I cleaned as best I could so that the EMTs who responded would get a true look at the infection/smell. By that point, the infection had entered his blood stream so really, all I did was show him how bad it was.

The bottom of his foot is essentially gone, the doctor told him the infection was in the bone. Going back up tomorrow to convince him to go with the amputation (he thinks a home health nurse can fix it).

Hoping for the best, but because of the delay in care and his extremely poor overall health, this amputation is just as likely to save minutes vs. years.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  14. SLO1911Fan

SLO1911Fan

I know both of your situations... I got MRSA and anti biotic resistant strep in the same finger off of a cargo ship I was working on. 7 days in the hospital, 4 doctors, and a near amputation later they got the infection controlled and I spent the next month driving to the hospital for IV antibiotics. I had four hours left before they amputated the arm at the shoulder so it wouldn't reach my heart...

The smell doesn't go away. Get rid of your clothes. They didn't even give me mine back after the hospital (said they had to burn them). And I wound up throwing out the bed sheats, mattress, and clothes I had used the week before the hospital.

I was healthy and young and almost lost my arm to the shoulder because of an infection in my finger. If they want to amputate his foot tell him to LISTEN. Infections are nasty things that we tend to ignore and pretend aren't a problem until its too late.

You both have my prayers.
    Good luck,
    Ryan

P.S. for your sinus cavities I prescribe bourbon or rye whiskey and a cigar. You're not actually smelling it anymore, you're just mentally storing it. Get it out, replace the smell, and try to quit thinking about it. that's the most you can do for your mind...

15. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Baking soda in the room he was in might help a bit. The salt in it will damage the bacteria. I'll say a prayer for your father.

16. Adjuster

Adjuster

Holy crap this thread scares me. If I so much as get a scratch now I am going to soak my body in antiseptic.

17. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

FWIW these really nasty infections are more likely in cases where the circulation is already bad (thus limiting the immune response to the area), so try not to let yourself get too panicked.

18. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Sorry about this Mike.

Also, to be a bit blunt, the problem here with pops is not the foot. It's the head.

Now that he's going to be even less ambulatory than before, (replaced hip, amp. foot) expect more of the same stuff.

Good luck.

'Drew

19. johnd

johnd

Sorry to hear that happened and glad you caught it in time before it poisoned him to the point of no return...that happened to my mother who had a disintegrated hip too....except she lived in England where they already have Obamacare.....NHS....they told her that her replacement hip was "elective surgery" and that she "wasnt contributing to the tax base" so they didnt treat here and she died of sepsis....what your father nearly got there.

I have since managed to get her death certificate changed to "Murdered"

You/we are lucky to be in the USA in cases like your fathers.

20. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

OP:

Terribly sorry about your father... While all of this is being taken care of, hopefully, he also needs to be checked for diabetes.

-J-