Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Lifetime NRA member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sending my G30 slide to Jagerwerks be milled for my vortex venom and am trying decide if I want my rear sight in front or back of the red dot.
I am leaning towards the front.
As this is my first time doing this
I thought I would seek the knowledge of the forum for advice.
What do you think?

·
Banned
547 Posts
The further your red dot sits, the better.
Moreover, you don't want to shorten your iron sights' radius.
Keep your rear iron sight at its place.

·
Lifetime NRA member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, that makes sense. Thank you. I already have the venom, but it’s still new in a box.
I was playing with a friends 19w/trijicon last night. It was pretty sweet.
You think it’s worth the extra to return and exchange?

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
If you are running a dot, you don't need back up sights. Dots on Open Division guns have been around since the 70's. If you need to take a shot without a dot, just frame the target with the window.

·
#787 Top Gun .357sig
1,403 Posts
I like mine with the rear sight available where it belongs. In the event of having to use your weapon in a self defense situation you do not want any of your equipment to fail. That rmr has a better chance at failing than those iron sights so if I have to depend on them as back up sights so be it. I am responsible for the bullet (s) that come from my gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Have a number of pistols with slides milled for RMRs. A couple are carry guns, most are not.

Case in point regarding back up sights. I pulled my carry gun out of the holster last week just to look it over like I usually do before I leave the house and the red dot was nowhere to be found. Dead battery. My fault, I don’t change them out yearly like I should. Yes, if I had to, I could probably just frame the target with the window but my surprise at not seeing a dot threw me for a few seconds and my eyes went right to the back up sights. Yours will too in an emergency.

Btw, I have my rear sights behind the RMR and it works well this way. I recommend Ameriglo suppressor sights. The orange front in particular works very well.

Also, most of my slides were done by Jagerwerks and they’ve all been perfect. You will be happy.

·
Banned
5,724 Posts
Have a number of pistols with slides milled for RMRs. A couple are carry guns, most are not.

Case in point regarding back up sights. I pulled my carry gun out of the holster last week just to look it over like I usually do before I leave the house and the red dot was nowhere to be found. Dead battery. My fault, I don’t change them out yearly like I should. Yes, if I had to, I could probably just frame the target with the window but my surprise at not seeing a dot threw me for a few seconds and my eyes went right to the back up sights. Yours will too in an emergency.

Btw, I have my rear sights behind the RMR and it works well this way. I recommend Ameriglo suppressor sights. The orange front in particular works very well.

Also, most of my slides were done by Jagerwerks and they’ve all been perfect. You will be happy.
Hi,

How much does it cost to have a slide milled for a red dot?

Also, do you need to know which specific red dot sight (Trijicon, Vortex, Holosun, etc) you will be installing before you have it milled, or does "one mill fit all" red dots?

Thanks!

·
Banned
328 Posts
Hi,

How much does it cost to have a slide milled for a red dot?

Also, do you need to know which specific red dot sight (Trijicon, Vortex, Holosun, etc) you will be installing before you have it milled, or does "one mill fit all" red dots?

Thanks!
You select a reputable company, tell them what optic your using and the cut your slide specifically for that optic.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I just got two of mine done this month. 17 and 19. I was a skeptic. But I’m starting to like the dot. But it’s going to take a lot of getting used to.

RMR. Sights to the rear. Ameriglo with orange fronts.

·
Banned
5,724 Posts
I just got two of mine done this month. 17 and 19. I was a skeptic. But I’m starting to like the dot. But it’s going to take a lot of getting used to.

RMR. Sights to the rear. Ameriglo with orange fronts.

Just wondering, why does the red dot take a lot of getting used to?

I don't have a red dot on any of my pistols, but I always imagined it was easy to just line the red dot up with your target.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts