close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting my first Glock (gun) tomorrow - can't decide!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 0REDSOX7, Jan 31, 2011.

1. 0REDSOX7

0REDSOX7

Hello fellow "Glock'ers"!

Been a long time reader and am now a first time poster. Been doing a lot of research on what gun I want to get as my CC. I've read just about every "GXX vs GXX" that I could find on here and think I have it narrowed down, though I'll be honest, I still am having issues making up my mind.

I was set on the G26 since the G19s were not available here. I've been to my local gun range sooo many times and rented just about every glock they had to shoot.

I'm really fond of the G36. The G30, I didn't like. I thought I was going to be solely for a 9mm caliber but the .45ACP has my attention. The G36 felt good in my hand, as did the G19/26. Any .40 is out. I seemed to have the most issues with accuracy with it.

I am afraid tomorrow that when I go into the gun store, I won't be able to make up my mind. I want all of them! :( I hate the way the Gen 4 Glocks feel (dont like the new grips, so that rules them out), but I don't know what to do. I like the additional rounds of the G19 but the firepower of the G36. As far as concealing it, I'm 6-3, 210lbs, so, that is not an issue for me.

Any thoughts? They both feel good to me, so that is what makes it harder! :-(

(Oh yeah, do they come with one or two mags?)

Thanks!

Daniel

2. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

You don't need to put gun in parenthesis. We know what a glock is :tongueout:
    I conceal a 19 pretty well. Your main thing is going to be getting a good belt and holster.
    There are people who conceal a 5" 1911 on a regular basis.

3. 0REDSOX7

0REDSOX7

I meant I am getting my first GUN tomorrow, too - and it just so happens it WILL be a Glock. :)

I do like the G19, as it shot good. But I am really favoring the G36, too. This is what is so hard! I never thought I would be this indecisive about a gun. I think I've spent over $250 in range money for gun rentals and ammo and I still can't make up my mind! :-(

I was thinking of getting the Crossbreed Supertuck. I know several people who have them and they really enjoy them, too.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. CBH

CBH

I know what you mean! It's not an easy decision! :wow:
    I alternate carrying a 23 and a 36. The 36 is probably my favorite carry gun.

5. infiniti0505

infiniti0505

Welcome!! The G36 is a very accurate concealable pistol. Single stacked .45 just really aimed at CC. If I was looking at a firearm for extreme concealablity I would look at this.
    But Im a huge fan on the G19. I have had 3 already. For carry/range use I would go with the G19 hands down. IMO the G19 is an all around firearm.

6. turbo54

turbo54

Depending on your background the 26 may be a better choice. It will be MUCH cheaper to shoot a lot and train on. If you're already an accomplished shooter, the 36 is a great gun.

I know you don't dig 40, but you might consider a 27. That way you can shoot 9mm with a conversion barrel, or 357sig as well as 40. With the 26, you'll be limited to 9mm only.

7. 0REDSOX7

0REDSOX7

I don't know if I would consider myself an accomplished shooter by any means, but I do spend a Saturday or two a months at the range getting a feel for the guns. I agree that the G19 is a great all-around gun and is probably what I "should" go with (or the G26), but for some reason, the G36 is calling to me.

I did shoot the G27 also, and again I found that I was not as accurate with the follow-up shots as I was with either the G36 or the G19/26 variants so that is why I ruled those two out.

8. Andy W

Andy W

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Get the 36 and enjoy it.

9. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

You seem to really want the G36 so go with it. I've never handled or shot the 36, but I own the 26 and 19 and like both, but prefer the 19.

10. Glock4President

Glock4President

G19 all the way, gen 3. You cannot do any better for your first handgun. It serves all purposes perfectly. I would try to get the glock tennifer treated night sites as well. They are a great combination together. Good luck.

11. 0REDSOX7

0REDSOX7

The issue is I want both!!!! I sense this is going to become my new hobby!

I really think I'm going to go with the G19. It seems to be that is the best gun for a first gun! I'll let you guys know tomorrow! Regardless, it will definately be a Gen 3 and I hate the grips on the Gen 4.

Is 489 (new) a good price for a Gen 3 Glock 19? I've been to several different places around here and everyone varies (489 is the lowest I've seen and 530 is the highest I've seen).

Oh, does it come with more than one magazine? Is there anything else I would want to get right away when I buy it?

12. jbclark187

jbclark187

I have a G19 and g36. Both great guns. If youre looking at a Gen 3 - 19, it will come with 2 mags. Same goes for the G36. The newer Gen 4 - 19 will come with 3 mags, but i prefer the feel of the G19 - Gen 3.

Have you considered ammo costs? The .45 is about 50% more expensive per round. That's something to consider. A 9mm that you are shooting more will get on target better than a .45 that you can't hit anything with..

If ammo costs are no concern to you, then get the 36. You can't go wrong either way here

13. multo17

multo17

Get the G36 & don't look back! You said that you like the way the G36 felt in your hands + you like the 45acp round= G36!:cool::wavey:

14. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

I think the price for a Gen3 is 459 plus about $20 shipping and no tax on TopGlock.com. I bought my first Glock from them and had no problem. They come with 2 magazines unless you can buy with LE credentials, military, etc.

15. 0REDSOX7

0REDSOX7

Im going to go to the range tonight and do a comparison of the G19 vs G36 one last time and probably make my decision based on that. I think the cost of ammunition won't be a problem, but, I think now that I would have my own weapon would mean I would be more in tune to shoot it more, which means it would probably become an issue. Gah, I'm glad to know you all feel you can't go wrong with either the G36 vs the G19.

16. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

The money you save shooting 9mm ammo will enable you to buy a G36 for your second gun in no time.

In all seriousness, the 36 uses some proprietary internal parts and even holsters. I would started out with a 9mm Glock then get a 45 down the road. Matter of fact that is exactly what I did.

17. polyman305

polyman305

Hmm, most seem to like the Gen 4 grips. I know I love it! Just curious though, what is it that you don't like about the Gen 4 grip? Is it too small, the texture, what?
    But I think $489.00 is good for a NIB Glock. It should come with 2 magazines. All you need is a decent holster and cleaning kit.

18. Zertek

Zertek

First off :welcome: to GT I think you would be very happy with a G19 you can always get a 36 later on but you would be hard pressed to beat a 19 its a versatile gun much cheaper to shoot at the range too, great for CCW and plenty of firepower 15+1, get you some Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP and you'll have 410 pounds of muzzle energy out of your 4 in barrel. BTW 489.00 for a Gen 3 G19 is a fair price. the NYPD (38000 strong) carries the G19 with that ammo and they say they are very well satisfied with the results.

19. 0REDSOX7

0REDSOX7

1Time, you're probably right. Im thinking maybe that's the best route to go. Now my decision comes in as do I get the G19 or the G26. Oh my, decisions decisions...

20. turbo54

turbo54

A duty of all good gun owners is getting newbees out to the range to shoot. A 19 I inventory would be great for this. Easy and controllable to shoot, and inexpensive. Im a 45/10mm guy, but I have a 23/19 for just these reasons.