close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting muzzled at the range.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hamster, Mar 30, 2012.

1. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I wanted to relate something that happened to me recently at an indoor range and to see what everyone thinks of it.

The range is quite busy with all 12 stalls occupied. This range has a 2 person per stall rule with additional shooters having to stay outside the range area until someone changes spots.

Next to me is a Polish gentleman with his wife and daughter. 3 people in the stall. The guy had me worried because multiple times I was staring right down the barrel of his pistol.

Now here is the caveat. The pistol's action was locked back and I could not tell if there was a mag loaded or not, I was too busy moving out of the way. Am I crazy for getting nervous in this situation, or would you feel ok beging muzzled so long as the action is open?

I happen to feel that even when the slide locked back ( aka. action is open) and the magazine is out, the pistol should be pointed downrange, or at the ground... never at another person. After trying to ask he guy to please not point his pistol at me several times with no success, the situation made me uncomfortable and distracted so I just packed up and left.

What would you do? Am I overreacting?

2. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Definitely not overreacting. I'd have stepped out and had a talk to a range officer or staffer. I don't think I would have sat there long enough to check to see if his gun was loaded, cocked, etc..

3. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Not overreacting. I don't care if the action is open or the gun in pieces disassembled. A gun should never be pointed anywhere but downrange. Ever.

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

I would be worried:alex:

5. okie

okie GT Mayor

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI"]Clint Smith on Gun Safety - YouTube[/ame] :patriot:

6. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Guns ARE always loaded.
    I take someone pointing any gun at me VERY serious!:steamed:

7. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I would change ranges. Every range I frequent has at least one if not more R.O.'s constantly observing shooters. All you would have had to do is put your cleared weapon down pointing in a safe direction and motion to the R.O. Chances are, an R.O. would deal with it the minute he saw three in a stall.

There is no excuse whatsoever for someone pointing their pistol at you while doing range time. Such a needs proper training before handling firearms.

8. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I guess it depends on the situation. I'm sure I've pointed a gun at someone momentarily getting it in or out of the case. I would not handle it while keeping it pointed at someone though.

9. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

I have to agree with this. I would have talked to range personnel after this guy failed to comply with your request to not "muzzle" you. Muzzle should always be pointed down range no matter what.

10. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Just wondering if anyone has handled a firearm in a gunstore full of people or at a gunshow? There is no way to pick up or put down a firearm at those places without pointing it at SOMEONE.

Again, I wouldn't start pointing it at people's heads, but like I said, sometimes it can happen momentarily, or am I off here?

11. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

If I cant be in an environment where I will not point a muzzle at someone, I don't pick up the firearm. If I have had one martini at dinner, I won't pick up a firearm---even if I know it is unloaded.

I almost had my head blown off duck hunting by one of my sons. I take muzzle control seriously. My kids do now too. I know I go overboard.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  12. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I don't think you are off. I think you are aware and honest. We have all done it. I am just to the point where I go overboard. The problem is there are so many people now days who have no clue about gun safety. They don't take it seriously.

13. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Anyone sweeps me I am deeply concerned IMMEDIATELY!

You were right OP. Stay safe sir. :wavey:

14. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Busy Friday night at a local gun store will have you hard pressed not to find a clear spot to check a pistol out. But that's usually when I aim at the floor. Not the same feeling as looking down arm out in front of you, but someone has to follow the rules, right? My daughter aimed accidentally at a couple people when she was holding the 22/45 we bought last week. I kept a close eye and as soon as it started going up, I redirected her.

15. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I have been in hunting situations before where I asked the person with me who I didn't really know to either start putting their safety on safe on their shotgun or to tell me they did not want to and I would leave. I watch other hunters when I am hunting. If they are not safe, I will leave the scene at the drop of a hat.

I have noted at one of the ranges I frequent, we watch each other. I like that. I know if someone is watching me, they think like I do when it comes to firearms.

16. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

Yep....it looks and feels awkward but it is a good habit to get into.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I think you are off :)

But you have good intentions, for even asking the question.

In my opinion, the moment you start to pick up a gun, even if the action is open, lift it up in a way that the muzzle is pointed down. In other words, pivot the grip upward without moving the muzzle, getting the gun pointed as quickly and efficiently as possible pointed down to the floor.

If nobody around, then it doesn't matter much. But if people around, that's how to do it.

Now that you are holding a gun pointed at the floor, what next? No matter what you do, don't point it at anyone, don't sweep anyone.

If real crowded, then you only get to hold the gun pointed at the floor. If a spot where nobody is, then you can point in that direction (while also following the other basic safety rules).

My 2 cents :)

18. Glock 1

Glock 1

I agree with the masses. I take new people to the range all the time and that is rule number one. The gun is always pointing down range because it is always loaded. If you think its unloaded, see rule number 1.

19. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

It is neat to me to see my kid exercising serious safety measures when they are in the field with their pellet/BB guns. They pass it on to their other friends. Maybe a life will be saved because of how we conduct ourselves.

20. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

This is a serious problem, and I think you are right.

Maybe it is a matter of perception, but if I go to YouTube, it is depressing what I see there in terms of safety violations and dangers.

I think it is true that there are more and more pistol owners over the last decade. (Unless I'm wrong about that.) More states are issuing permits. I hear that gun sales are on the rise. The anti-gunners have tried to take away rights, especially in 1994, and the country seems to have reacted against it, and has been increasing purchases and ownership.

But what about safety? Are people being taught gun safety? Are they taking it seriously? Those are the concerns I have. If "accidents" happen, aside from being terrible for the immediate victims, it will threaten your rights, my rights, our rights.

What can we do to help spread safe gun handling habits and therefore reduce "accidents"?