Getting in and out of Patrol Vehicle

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by MSP Sarge, Feb 21, 2010.

1. MSP Sarge

MSP Sarge

Any you guys have a hard time getting in and or out of your patrol vehicle. My radio keeps getting caught on the center post. Pulling on my radio and holder. I know I'm fat not real fat though. No problem getting in the patrol car it without the radio.

2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Well, for me about the only time that I do the patrol thing is on the outer perimeter, and lately it is those Ford Escape Hybrids. To small for the big man, I guarantee, in that there is not enough leg room for even the skinny big man. I have to get out and walk for my own health, (not that it is a bad thing). About the only thing I can do is try to position the radio a little toward the front and move carefully.:dunno:

3. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

I seem to whack right knee against the dash when I get in at least twice a week. I've had a bruise the size of a baseball a few times... other than that I don't have any issues.

4. blueiron

blueiron

I never fit in the early 2000's Chevy Impalas or the late 1990's Dodge Intrepids. Being tall has its drawbacks when you need headroom.

5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper New job, same me.

What, you guys have portable radios? Lucky.

6. HISEASCOWBOY

HISEASCOWBOY

I have relatively short arms compared to my legs so the seat is close to the steering wheel. I have to either tilt the wheel up to swivel out. When I do that I some times hit my radio or gun on the steering wheel. Most of the time I just slide out some and grab onto the door and "A" post and pull myself the rest of the way out. For the record I drive a 2008 CVPI.

7. trifecta

trifecta

Do you really not?

8. plainandsimple

plainandsimple CLM

Hopefully all their armament isn't hardmounted to the vehicle too! :D

9. trifecta

trifecta

Hardmounted works ok for Bama and his partner.

[​IMG]

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

My radio is on my left side, 830pm position and it never gets hung up on anything, but I do hit my head once in a while getting out because I am pretty tall.

11. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

The only thing I catch is my left rear cuff case, which I constantly pop open getting into the car..

12. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I was always popping open the two belt keeprs in the back when I sat down. Now I wear 'em upside down, so they only pop open once in a while when I get out.

My portable radio snap, on the bottom of the bungee that holds the radio in the holder, always snaps open from the seat belt.

My 6360 digs into the console / seat when I sit down so I had to modify my entry technique to that resembling something an old woman would do. Grasp the "A" pillar, slowly ease my butt into the seat, grasp holster, tuck in tight to body, sit.

13. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper New job, same me.

Well, until about 2 weeks ago, I didn't have a portable radio. Most of the supervisors don't, but we have PTT capable Southern Linc radios. The problem there is having to scroll down to find the person you want to talk to.
    Portables are different for different areas. 800mhz in some areas and VHF with repeaters in others.
    Now I have a portable, but I gave my radio holder to a Trooper when I got promoted. Now I have to find one for me.

14. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I know we all carry portables, for those of us on the CO staff, inside and outside. A ways off of the reservation it is mobile phones.

15. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

What year is this bro?

16. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

My department wears campaign hats and for the life of me I cannot remember to remove it before getting back in the vehicle. Since the chin strap is worn just under the lower lip, I get my neck darn near pulled off my shoulders when the hat brim catches on the door frame. I can just feel my command presence melt away......

17. jhooten

jhooten NRA Life Member

The Escape Hybids get worse economy on the OP road than a standard truck. The Escapes have been put back into general service. OP's have Ranger pickups and they are worse to get in and out of than the Escape. Most of the officers on OP duties leave the HH in the door pocket (and use the balistic vest for a butt cushion, I guess that is in case they drive over a frag or anti-tank mine on the OP road).

18. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Well it's not like mine works, it is used to balance my gun belt.:supergrin:

19. jethro21

jethro21

I am 6'5 and 270lbs (over 300 with all my gear on) and I have never been in a patrol car that was comfortable. Luckily on my squad I have my own car, so I have adjusted things to make it easier to get in and out. My car is 2009 CVPI.

I have always been made fun of for how I get into my patrol car- it is basically a head first dive because I have trouble getting my right leg around the steering wheel, even when it is at its highest adjustment.

One of the things that really helped was getting on outer carrier. Taking the taser, 2 sets of cuffs and flashlight off the belt and onto the vest made getting in and out of car easier, but makes going over fences and walls a little tougher.