close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting first digital camera software question

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Rollo Tamasey, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Rollo Tamasey

Rollo Tamasey

I am going to get a digital camera. Besides using it for personal use I want to be able to take pictures to use in making a brochure for my business. I am self employed and would like to get software to put in my P.C. and be able to arange photographs change their background and add text. I own a Vending machine biz and would like to photograph my box truck and vending machines. Also if the machine has a scratch in the paint I would like to be able to take out the scratch on the image with the software.

What software would you recomend? Is the software that comes with the cameras normally able to do all this? Also what is a good printer I could get to print out at least the first print of the brouchure.

2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 sounds like what you need. The healing brush will help take out scratches much better than a simple clone brush. All photo printers now make nice looking photographs, so choose on features. What type of paper do you intend to print on, regular paper or photo paper. I use both HP & Canon photo printers. They both have their little pros and cons, and I like them both. I don't care for Epson (not because they don't make good photos, they do), but because they often tend to have nozzle clogging issues if not used regularly, and I don't print everyday or even every other day. Others use Epson w/o problems (I suspect the print more often than some of us).

Good luck

3. RBR

RBR

A lot of cameras come with some sort of photo editing software. My Canon came with Adobe Photo Shop Elements. I haven't bothered to try it out yet but usually use Jasc Paint Shop Pro. It's fairly inexspensive and useful for anything you might want to do.

You might consider finding/hiring someone to help you out with the brochures if you want a professional appearance and are new to graphic arts.

4. Rollo Tamasey

Rollo Tamasey

Thanks for the info. I have taken some graphic desighn courses in the past and used to do oil painting. Back then computers were not used as much as they are now and did not have nearly the capability.

5. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8. Check out the software isle at Costco for great deals. This time of year they have everything you need for imaging software at good prices, either sales or rebates or both. They'll cost you about $60-75. Then you can spend Christmas break reading the 400-page manual. ;Q

6. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Photoshop Elements 3 just plan rocks. $49.00 after all the rebates. I started with version 1 and have now progressed to Photoshop CS. The learning curve just progressed from one to another.

Adobe is also bundling it with Premiere Elements for video for around $125 bucks. Lets you edit and burn your videos to DVD.

Photoshop is overkill for most people but Photoshop Elements is great and easy to use. A lot of web support and books are also available.