close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting fat,time to slim down & lean out.Dieting and doing P90X w/my wife.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by S.O.Interceptor, Apr 7, 2010.

1. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

I'm still doing powerlifting, but the Rippetoe diet of eating any and everything in sight has caught up with me recently. Especially since I've been doing the 5-3-1 without much assistance work due to my schedule. The 5-3-1 fits great into my schedule, but lately I haven't had time for the Boring but Big or anything else really. I've ballooned up to 207lbs, which for me is a lot since I was 176lbs a few months ago. I was able to keep the weight off easier when I was lifting a lot more but now I'm starting to get winded easier and just feel all around sluggish. If I was 207lbs with more muscle it might not be a problem, but the fat-muscle ratio is definitely starting to lean back to the fat side again.

I want to lean out some of the fat so I can be healthier, more efficient at work, and so I actually look decent without a shirt again.

Well this week was my de-load week from 5-3-1 (unfortunately it was also one of the few times I've had the time to do some assistance work. Damn the luck) so I decided I'd try the P90X with my wife. I figured doing body weight work wouldn't affect my de-load much.

I have to say that it is kicking my ***. I've ignored my conditioning and cardio for too long and it is showing badly. I'll only be able to do it about 2 times a week due to my schedule( I guess I'm on the P270X plan) and the fact that P90X takes at least an hour, but after only a few workouts I think this will really help fill in some of the holes in my conditioning.

It's not really my type of workout but it is hard, gets me sweating, and works some muscles that I hadn't worked in a while. I'm thinking of doing it 2 days a week on my off days from 5-3-1, like every Wednesday and Saturday.

My wife has also started cooking based in the P90X diet guide and it's good. I am trying to eat several smaller meals throughout the day to hopefully help me lose a little weight.

Has anyone else tried it? What were your results?

My wife also got Insanity to do after the 90 days of P90X, then she plans on going back for P90X Plus after Insanity. :shocked:

2. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Hey Buddy. I've seen a lot of success stories with P90x. Some of them on youtube, or just on the web. It really can make a difference provided the people do the workouts and eat differently. I've got a few buddies that have lost weight doing the program on their own. I think the hard part is keeping the weight off once you lose it. Obviously, the person can't go back to doing what they were doing, or they will put the weight back on! You know what to do, workout more, eat less. Now you just gotta do it.

I also have the P90x Videos, from a friend of mine. I've never actually done any of them. The only video i do is ab ripper x, which i actually really enjoy. I do it every time i work out. Which is between 4 and 5 times a week. (i work out 2 days on, 1 day off and repeat) I have been doing the ab ripper x video since like January. Huge difference! I'm going to keep it up. Seeing the results makes you want to keep doing it.

I think it's cool that the wife is doing the videos too.

Good work man!

3. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

From what I've heard from folks on it, that program is pretty rough. Our gym had a P90X class for a while and it finally shut down due to lack of participation. They said people were complaining about not being able to do all the exercises (they said it was pushup heavy).

There is a guy here locally in Memphis that operates his own "gym" that does P90X every day. He's a former member of the Coast Guard and has a pretty good following. I saw a writeup about this in the local paper.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/nov/16/esprit-de-corps/

4. BradD

BradD

Eating big seems only smart if you're really bustin' it in the gym, able to not miss days and keep cruising along. If it makes you feel any better, something similar has happened to me. I gained about 15 lb on purpose, then had my program come to a grinding halt, so now I've mostly just gained 15 lb. Would've been better off staying lighter, but I'm not clairvoyant.

I've heard mixed reviews on P90X. I think the length of workout is a downside for a program of that type. One can do the sample programs from Ross' books or CrossFit and be done a lot way faster than an hour on the vast majority of days. When I was doing NG, the conditioning workouts were over in no more than 20 min. The strength days were about 45 IIRC. The guys over at RT said that P90X was too easy for them, but they're well conditioned from doing their fighter workouts or II. I'm sure it would kick anybody's butt who had not been doing conditioning work.

5. S.O.Interceptor

I can keep the weight off. I put it on on purpose when I was working out longer and more often.

I have to say, after 4 days I still have that "just worked out" feeling. I don't enjoy the P90X workouts nearly as much as lifting, but they do hit some spots that haven't been worked much recently.

6. BradD

BradD

Right. Same here. My point was that it's a bit of a gamble putting on a bunch of weight toward getting stronger. If the program kind of falls apart for some reason, like both of ours did, then the lifter is stuck with a bunch of fat to lose.

For me, I knew it was a bad move pretty early on, but I was sick of watching my diet and trying to stay light--just wanted a break. LOL, being honest with myself about what I was thinking.

As I've thought about it more, I have mixed feelings on eating big to try and get stronger faster. When's the last time doing anything "faster" paid off in S&C? The only times it's a no-brainer to eat a lot more is when a guy is a bean pole and very weak or if a guy is really lean and has been hanging around the same PRs for a year just grinding it out with little progress.

7. ubersoldat

ubersoldat

I started the power90, which was the one before p90x. A little more tame in comparison from what Im told.

Im three weeks in, andI already see a huge difference.

Great system! Ill be going to the 90x when Im done with this one..

Good luck on your system!

8. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Remember I posted a thread about this a while back?

I didn't think it made a ton of sense to bulk up and that it was better to have a good strength to weight ratio.

Plus, we're athletes, not the circus fat man. :supergrin:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  9. BradD

BradD

Yeah, I remember. There are guys at SS and 70sBig who go from weak to (honestly) pretty weak and gain 50 lb of body mass. What they think is all that matters, but I wouldn't personally feel very good about that. I suspect that they would've gotten about that strong just by eating normally, but it would've taken a little longer.

For me, it made little sense, so to be honest, I was just being lazy about my food. 5'-8" and 185 is already pretty stocky and I've lifted pretty big weights at lighter than this. More muscle won't make me stronger if other parts will give out first. I have a MD appt Monday and she'll refer me to the ortho guy I want to see. Then, hopefully I can get a better handle on what I can do. I'm just about too busy to do anything now anyway.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  10. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

As this semester winds to a close, and I'll have more time in the evenings to do so, I'm going to reintroduce myself to conditioning (as much as I can, for all that's worth) and make a concerted effort to eat a whole lot cleaner than I have been lately.

I'll never be particularly svelte, but I'm way outside of where I'm comfortable right now.

11. BradD

BradD

You and me both. LOL, this place is about like how a bunch of women's cycles synchonize if they spend enough time together for long enough. :rofl:

12. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

It's funny how we all keep feeding off each other. It's about time I had a good influence. :rofl:

As MK's headaches are getting under control, I'm going to make some effort to get her into the gym with a greater frequency than she'd been able to muster in the past.

13. S.O.Interceptor

My goal is to get back to about 185-190lbs and eventually compete at 181lbs. If I can maintain right below 190lbs, when I get ready to compete, I can work my way back down to 181 without wearing myself too thin. But currently if I tried to compete, I'd have to at 198lbs, and those boys are some bigguns. Not that there aren't a lot of big strong guys at 181, and not that I could hang with even the featherweights, but I swear those 198 lifters walk around off-season at 240-250 for Pete sake. And I'm feel a lot better at <190 than I do over it.

14. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I have been rowing like crazy since you posted about it.!!

15. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Hey SOI, how tall are you? I don't recall. I've never been over 190 but I am close to your desired competition weight. Just curious. I'm usually at 170 or slightly below in the summers and 188 at the highest in winter. I'm probably in at the median right now, although I feel like a slug since I'm still sidelined these last couple of weeks. Gout came back with a vengeance yesterday - another doc appt tomorrow.

16. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Gout sucks. Sorry, man.

17. S.O.Interceptor

18. BradD

BradD

5'-10" is a darn skinny 181. I was 5'-8"--that's with shoes, so I'm really about 5'-7" to 5'-7.5", and competed in the 181 class. After a while, I came away with the idea that I really needed to be 198 or 220 to really be effective. The winners were generally shorter than me, maybe 5'-6" on the average. If I was 5'-10", I'd want to compete in the 220 class. 198 min. and that'd be pretty skinny. I don't think people drop as much weight as you think, but I guess I'm not sure. My impression is that 198 lifters walk around at 210. I only dropped weight once and that was from about 170 to 165, ended up at 162 so I over-shot it. In the pics, I looked like a beanpole CFer LOL. Got a 460 squat in that meet, so it's a good memory.

Also, if you're trying to do well compared to the other lifters, keep in mind that it's no picnic lifting at 181. In the drug-free competitions I attended, the winners were getting about 650, 400, 650 and someone getting 500, 300, 500 were middle to back of the pack. The 198s aren't that much stronger to make it worth it to lift skinny. If a guy wants to do well, he needs to get at about the right "stockiness."

If you're doing general S&C and just looking to enter contests for fun and to test yourself, then forget what I typed. In that case, I wouldn't worry about weight class or whether I was competitive and would just show up and lift.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  19. S.O.Interceptor

I doubt I will ever be a serious competitive lifter. I'd be happy with the middle of the pack and simply lifting enough to not get completely humiliated. I don't expect to hang with anyone in any weight class, but the last local lift I heard of the 181 guys were lifting a good bit less than the 198 guys. My actual long term goals are only a 500lbs squat, 400lbs bench, and 500lbs deadlift. And I am going to start looking into competing as soon as I get into a solid 1,100lbs total with a 400 squat, 300 bench, and 400 deadlift. Lifting is for fun and to keep me strong for those critical moments at work. Competing will be for fun and to push me to be better.

My main concern with my weight is how I feel at certain weights. Since I got to 200 I've felt bloated and have less energy. To me 200 is pretty heavy. When I was 176 I felt better, I was just a lot weaker. If I could walk around at 185-190 and get stronger I think it would be a good for me. No one will ever call me "skinny" at 181lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be 220lbs, lean and ripped, with a 35 inch waist. But the reality is when I got to 207 I was barely able to stay in my 36 inch pants. Given my shape throughout my entire life I don't see me ever getting that ripped and lean. I'd have to do 5 workouts of P90X per day to ever be lean enough to walk around at 220.

20. BradD

BradD

I understand and I feel the same way. I've been at 197 for a couple of months now and I feel noticeably worse than when I was 180-185. Wendler talked about that some in the 5/3/1 book, how he used to be able to waddle up to the monolift and squat, but that was about it. Just depends on whether one wants to be a PLer or general athletic guy. The guy who won the 165s was probably 5'-4" or 5'-5". He was crazy strong, like 600 DL.

You'd be "skinny" for a powerlifter. Not skinny for some other kind of athlete. If I'm not mistaken, Captain Kirk is 5'-8" and 275! Now that's "built for PLing"! I think Wendler is 5'-10" and was in the upper 200s also. Looking at videos of myself at 181, I looked more like some other kind of athlete than a PLer.

Sounds like your goal is general S&C, so none of what I typed matters anyway.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010