Getting dogs to get along

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Davegrave, May 24, 2007.

1. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I have a boxer. Dapper Dan. He's very sweet and gentle. Great with everyone. Plays a little rough with other dogs but never mean. and he calms down quick. He's very small for a boxer. Not even 60 lbs.

My girlfriend has a pitbull. Sophie. Very bullish and rough. It seems like she just doesn't know her own strength and has too much energy for her own good.

We have trouble seeing each other sometimes because we need to be home with the dogs.

So we finaly introduced them. They both pulled at the leashes to get to each other, they sniffed and then and then the Pit bit my dog in the face. Like I said, Dan is sweet and gentle and has never been mean, but he's tough. When we brought them close again he bit her right away. Real good. she backed down a lot and did like a belly crawl thing to the water bowl. Then she went up and growled at him and snapped and he bit her good on the back side and wouldnt let go. I had to give him a crack.

If both dogs were like Dan I'd probly let them go at it and get it out of their system. But I'm very scared with the pit. I've had Rott's and Huskies and this is the strongest dog I've ever felt. I'm worried she could seriously hurt or kill him.

Any advice on getting them aquainted? My only thought is to muzzle them both and let them just paw at each other for a while. Good idea or no?

Thanks. Sorry it's so long.

2. compassman

compassman

If I was to meet a new person and they put there face in mine I sure as hell will let that person know and if it happened in my house I would probable hip toss the person to the ground and stomp on that person. It's my house. This is what dogs do. Dogs don't say "hi" they dominate each other.

Questions.

Did they meet on neutral ground?
    If it was a house then who's house?
    They were on leases when they met?
    Were they on Flexi leashes?
    Did they meet on your terms?
    Are they both fixed?
    Was there any food around?
    How was your attitude when they meet?
    There are many more questions.

Dogs are not humans, they are animals and when your dog meets another dog he is not playing or rough housing he is showing he is pack leader. He is dominating the other dogs. Sometimes dogs will just summit, some dogs will not try to be the alpha dog. Some dogs will try to be Alpha dog specially in his own house. If you are the Alpha in your home then your dog will no be aggressive to you or other dogs.

There is a great story of a women sitting on a park bench a stranger comes up and puts his face in her face and when she reacts her husband hits her. There is a lot more to the story. Next time you meet someone in there house get right up to them, get really excited, run to them and stick your face in there face and say high. You will probably thrown out of the house or beat up. This is exactly what happened.

See my post under dog aggression issues

3. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

4. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of Pit Bull ownership. Please remember these dogs were originally bred to be pit fighters, but loving toward humans. Dog/animal aggression is very common in this breed. Some pits will never get along with any other dogs, ever, no matter what you do. They may tolerate each other, but a small fight can turn into trouble really fast if you are not there to break it up. This is just an FYI...

Answer the previous posters questions and we can take it from there.

5. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I googled. No, not flexi leashes. Just regular heavy Nylon leashes.
    Sophie, the pit, would break a flexi leash. she's broken the buckles on collars, broken the plastic coated metal cord tie downs. She's very strong. Im a big guy and when I walk her, if she bolts I have a hard time holding her back.

Yes, I'm the alpha of my house. Dan is very respectful of me. And he's never been agressive to other dogs when i'm around. But she bit him first and that was it. So any time she came near he'd pounce and bite. He's quick so she didn't have much to say about it. :)

Dan is the best dog I've ever known. By far. If I had anything bad to say its that he was too respectful of me. like he wont just eat food when i give it to him. He takes it very gently and walks away and puts it down and looks to make sure Im OK with it. He plays rough when I want to but never pushes it. If i d ont' respond or stop playing he calms down and comes and sits with me and puts his head on my lap.

Sophie jumps on the table and eats food off your plate and jumps on you all the time. One time she broke throuhg a bedroom door and charged me while I was having sex. I wish I had that on video. Unless you've been to war or something, you don't know fear till your buck naked with a pitbull running at you at full speed. :)

6. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

haha to the part about naked running for a pit bull.

Your female is in serious need of training. Sounds to me she is running wild. How old is the she? How long has your girl had her? Is she fixed?

Like I said before, there is a chance they will never get along. This doesn't mean you have to get rid of a dog. This just means you have more work to do.

7. compassman

compassman

I agree before there is any more meeting the pit needs training and the owner. I would also recommend getting the pit involved in weight pulling. It's something easy to get into and both you and your girl friend can get involvled in. It's a team sport between the owner and the dog. It builds a relationship like no other. If the pit is young it could excell and be great. It's not so much about winning as it is about training and exercise. She needs to get control of the dog and become alpha.

I will post more later

8. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

within the last 4 months the pit has been put though a 3 week training class to the tune of $1500 that include time for my lady friend to go and work with the trainer.
    But she is just not tough and wont stick to it. So the dog is the same as ever. Im starting to think that she just neeeds to be placed with someone more prepared to deal with a breed that needs such special attention.

It kind of sucks. She's a pretty dog, but she's so hard to be around. And my girlfriend always say how good she is when she's not pulling the leash and stealing food and getting into garbage and barking like crazy at everyone and jumping on people and charging me during sex.

It sure makes me appreciate how good Dapper Dan is though more than ever.

9. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

I'd get a new gf.

You bought Dan. You raised him. You owe him a safe existence. You don't owe the woman anything, especially if she's willing to fork over that kind of cash for obedience lessons she obviously has no intentions of following. She wants a Pit as a "Cool" statement but doesn't want to put in the effort to train it right.

Oh yeah, and that John Wayne Gacy was a pretty good fellow too.

You have a Boxer and a pretty cute one at that. Kick that girl and her psycho mutt to the curb and go find yourself a girl with a Boxer, Golden, or Pug or something. Then let the dogs chill out together and NOT risk getting your peepee bitten off.

10. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Actualy her ex husband bought the dog as a cool statement. She just kept the dog cuz her husband was a jerk and wouldn't take it and her kids love the dog. And she doesn't have time to give this dog the attention it needs. Neither would I. It needs a lot.

And yeah, Dan is pretty cute. He knows it too. I was proud to see him stand up for himself like that.

She's looking for someone else to take Sophie. Her kids will get over it and both dogs will be happier in the long run.

11. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

Go with a Golden Retriever :thumbsup:

12. Frost

Frost

No experience with a pit but I have introduced adult dogs before. I have had two rescue dogs that were brought into our home as adults with existing dogs.

We walked them on neutral ground one coming up on the other and both being controlled. After just a short distance both were walking side by side controlled by the Alpha Human. Walk a ways then stop and make them sit then allow sniffing but be watchful of aggressive actions. A well adjusted dog will accept another dog if they meet under the proper circumstances.

That being said dogs are pack animals and are going to establish dominance. Right now our female Doberman is alpha over our male Great Dane but he is just a puppy and is gradually taking over the role of second in command with me being pack leader.

When we met my wife had a dog that just did not like me. He was jealous and would not permit me to be in their life. It reached a point if was him or me. For a while I wondered which of us it was going to be. I won (I guess ;)

I would recommend short controlled encounters with each other until they get used to each other.
    Perhaps you need to spend more time with her dog.
    Have you done the Alpha roll on her?
    Also take her for walks keeping her under control with a firm hand on the leash. Walk her every day for a week and see if it makes a difference.

13. compassman

compassman

Sorry for the long wait in reply. Did you check out my posting under aggressive dog problem? There are many foundations and rescues that will find a perfect home for the pit. Rescue is a great start. They will find the perfect home. They will be more then happy to find the perfect forever home. Believe me when I say that, that’s what I do. It's a good choice specially if she doesn't want to put forth the effort. You have a beautiful dog and I hope you get some more training. Take him for his canine good citizenship. He might make a great therapy dog. There is nothing like having your dog and your kids bring a smile to elderly person or sick persons face. It's a great way to get you our kids and dog involved in helping the community.

14. mufasa1023

mufasa1023

maybe she shouldn't be giving up her dog for you...is there a rock on her finger? :tongueout:

sorry about the situation...I hate aggressive dogs and hate worse the owners of 'statement' purpose built aggressive dogs

15. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

It really is for the dog too. She lives in a small apartment now and between her job and her kids the dog doesn't get the attention it needs.

My dog spends a lot of time alone too, but he doesn't react so poorly to it. He's happy when i'm here but he's just fine on his own too.

Her dog is so full of energy. She needs kids and a giant yard and someone there to work with her and put her in place full time.

16. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23 Salty Collar

You can't expect all dogs to get along, especially APBT's. As an owner and avid fan they are very tough dogs to deal with. they are like a child...You need to study up on them first. Or else something you may regret will happen.

For the genius above that called it a psycho mutt, educate your self a bit! Your dealing with a dominant breed. They are very territorial and devoted to the owner.

try
    www.pitbullcorner.com

www.game-dog.com (good info if you can get passed the "gamebred" talk)

www.pitbullforum.com (good info, but members are a little touchy and tend to piss off alot of people)

my screen name is the same for all the forums. If you need advise let me know, also check with the "Nothing In Life Is Free" training. Just google it.

I guarantee my dog would not act like that, and has not seen one day of training from a "trainer". But that isn't to say that if left alone with a new dog she would be fine. You have to slowly introduce them, let them get a feel for eachother, but do not leave them alone until you are certain all is well.