close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting back on track

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by The Goose, Apr 30, 2006.

1. The Goose

The Goose

Most of my adult life I have kept in very good physical condition. Martial arts, boxing, weight training, yoga, running etc. The last couple of years I just let it all go. I am 55 now and even when I was 52 I was training for strongman competition. I was the oldest guy there, flipping 650 lb truck tires, sprinting with 200+ pounds in each hand, lifting 300+ pound stones etc. Then I just let it go and I got fat. Could hardly walk up a flight of stairs without gasping. I ate too much, drank too much and was smoking 2 - 4 cigars a day. I had a lot of problems in my business and this was how I dealt with the stress.

Six weeks ago I just got fed up and re-examined my values and priorities. It felt like everything and everyone around me was spinning out of control (along with myself) and I realized that the only thing I could possibly hope to control was ME. I took a day off for myself and spent it in meditation. I decided to reclaim my body and my spirit. I started that day.

I got back into the gym, what a shock and ego deflator. I was not an athlete anymore, but a fat old man wheezing on the treadmill. It seemed like everyone around me was fitter and younger, and if not younger then they looked suspiciously like aging marathon runners or triathletes. Talk about depressing. I just had to go inside of myself and ignore my surroundings.

It has been 6 weeks since I got back on track. I have lost 23 pounds and I am sleeping like a baby at night.
    Here is what works for me:

1. I quit drinking alcohol completely and smoking cigars.

2. I bring my lunch every day. I eat mostly whole foods, nothing processed. I bring everything I will eat all day and that is all I eat. I plan it out the evening before. My wife helps plan healthy dinners (we both cook) and we support each other.

3. I eliminated anything with added sugar, as well as, juice, soda, diet soda (or diet anything), artificial sweetners etc. I drink water or sparkling water. I do drink black coffee.

4. Monday thru Friday I hit the gym at 5:00 AM when it opens and do one hour. I alternate each week.
    Week One: Mon., Wed., Friday I do one hour of various cardio work and Tues. & Thursday I do 20 minutes of cardio followed by 40 minutes of weight training.
    Week Two: Mon., Wed., Friday I do 20 minutes of cardio followed by 40 minutes of weight training. Then Tues and Thurday I do 60 minutes of cardio.
    Then I just alternate each week.
    Every evening and on weekends my wife and I take our dog for a long walk in the woods Wed. night we go to Yoga class together (we have been doing that for years, never gave it up).

5. One day a week, usually Saturday, is cheat day. I go out for dinner and pretty much eat whatever I want. I still do not drink alcohol which is a great savings both financially and calorically.

Those are a few things that work for me. I still need to lose 60 - 70 pounds, but I am doing the right things every day and it feels great. I have not felt this good in a long time.

My final thought on this long and probably boring post is this: When my alarm goes off at 4:20 AM it is a ***** getting out of bed and getting ready to go to the gym, but I put one foot in front of the other and I do it. The whole time I am getting ready and en route to the gym the little monkey that is my mind is chattering away with nonsense and excuses why not to go. I put one foot in front of the other and I just go. The little monkey keeps on chattering away. I get to the gym and I do what I planned. At 6:05 AM I walk outside and the air is crisp and this time of year the birds are singing. The sun is just up. I take a deep breath and smell the freshness and I say (literally) "This is my gift to myself!" I have taken this time for myself. I have taken nothing away from my business. I have taken nothing away from my time with my wife. I have given myself the gift of one hour every morning that is just for me. I am better and healthier for this gift and because of that I am a better businessman and a better husband and a better citizen. I have lived most of my life in this manner. The last three years are the anomaly, this is the norm.

2. DBradD

DBradD

What an inspiring story. I wish you the best of luck as you "return to normal"!

DBD

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Great to hear you are back on track!!! Making a life changing decision such as you have is a hard thing to do.

The time I spend in the gym is one of the few things that is truly MINE. I know exactly what you mean when you say "This is my gift to myself". That's the way I've seen it for quite a while now.

Best of luck with your progress!:supergrin: ;)