Gettin' ready to hit the road for my first long trip

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Apr 28, 2005.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's not a greatly long distance trip, just about 400-miles each way to Phoenix, Arizona. But it will be the first time I'm going that far one way in one day. I've worked up to about close to 300-miles in one day before.

Lights - check!
    Fluids - check!
    Tires - check!
    Fuel - check!
    Extra quart of engine oil - check!
    Throttle lock functional - check!
    ABS functional - check!
    Heated grips functional - check!
    Odometer reset - check!
    Backpack - check!
    Helmet - check!
    Skull cap - check!
    Gloves - check!
    Riding suit - check!
    Under Armour undies - check!
    Riding boots - check!
    Merino wool socks !
    Cell phone - check!
    Wallet - check!
    Registration & insurance - check!
    Camera - check!
    iPod Shuffle - check!
    Etymotic earplugs/speakers - check!
    750-ml Perrier - check!;f

Most importantly...

Condom - TRIPLE CHECK!!!;N

Ready for blast off. ~2

See you guys back here by Monday. BTW, we need a couple of motorcycle smilies.

2. bdhawk

bdhawk

looks like you have thought it through. good list. one thing....no mention of a shootin' iron or ammo. if you can legally do so, i would suggest a means of self defense. it is the wild wild west, you know. of course, you may be keeping that your carring concealed, concealed.;)

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Made it in one piece. I-10 is a really nice interstate to cruise on. Even the headwind and crosswind didn't bother me much, and the Throttlemeister throttle lock truly saved the day!!!

Gotta go meet up with a babe, so I'll check in with you guys and gals later.

4. k12lts

k12lts

Condom - TRIPLE CHECK!!!

Only one???

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's a nice balmy 80-something in Phoenix and I'm sweating up a storm under full leather. Riders looking at me weirdly and even a Harley dude (bare head, T-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes) made fun of my outfit. That's OK. Go on with ya bad self.

PS Found me a date for tonight.

6. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

I was in Tucson for the week and noticed that there are a TON of bikes on the road and while I did see some leather jackets, I saw far more shorts, t-shirts, sneakers.

Of course, I have to think back to the 70's when I lived there and rode in levi's, t-shirt, and boots. No gloves except in winter. Glad I survived those days.

That long I-10 route had to be boring; good thing you had some tunes with you.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm back!

The babe situation didn't quite work out as planned. :( But I had fun with my friends over there anyway and even went blasting some caps at Caswell indoors range in Mesa.

On the way back to LA, ran into some really nasty winds around the Indio area that lasted all the way to around Redlands. It was miserable with all the gusts and turbulences. The crosswinds didn't bother me much because you can just lean into the wind, but the gusts and the turbulences were bad because you get buffeted from side to side without warnings. I swallowed my pride and tucked in behind a semi truck and did around 45-mph for about thirty miles.

The earplugs/earphones worked great in keeping the wind and road noises down to a minimum. I think that they greatly aided in my comfort. The throttlelock was also heaven sent, but the smooth road on I-10 really helped.

Phoenix roads and freeways are also nice and smooth. Too bad that the motorcyclists can't split lanes there. It's gotta be murder on the aircooled bikes in Arizona during the summer crawling in traffic jams.

8. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Which model Etymotic earplugs do you have? How do you like them?

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The earplugs that I have are the Model ER-6i. The speakers are actually quite decent and the triple flange block out the excess noises quite nicely. They also come with foam inserts if one isn't too keen on the rubber flange inserts, but I like the rubber flange inserts. These things work better than the squishy earfoam plugs. At least in my ears anyway. They drown out wind noise and road noise considerably. You can still hear a bit of wind noise, but not much. The engine noise is muted quite a bit though. I had a tough time with the first day wearing the earplugs because I can't hear the engine & exhaust revving up, but it's good to go now.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp

10. quinch

quinch Turgid Member Millennium Member

Thanks for the link, I've been looking for something like that. :)

11. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Condom - TRIPLE CHECK!!!

OK I get the earplugs but do you always wear a condom when you ride??;f

Sorry couldn't resist.:cool:

12. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

On a serious note...tell me about the Throttle Lock. I could use something like that for longer freeway rides. I presume its an add on right???:)

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Throttle lock or friction lock is a mechanical device of some sort that holds the throttle in place. It's an ersatz cruise control that doesn't regulate the speed but just to lock the throttle in that one particular place.

Mine is from Throttle Meister . It is on the more expensive side ($100+) but it allows for you to do a couple of things that a typical el cheapo throttle lock doesn't do. You can set the friction setting to fully locked in place where the throttle setting doesn't move at all. Or you can set the friction setting to slightly looser where you can still regulate the throttle but still can rest your right hand.