close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Get Ready for the new Glock 7 scare

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by garyjandfamily, Jan 8, 2010.

1. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

Security's new metal muddle
    JFK detectors miss Post writer's titanium

Leave the bottled water, take the titanium.
    Passengers can still walk through Kennedy Airport security scanners with pieces of the durable metal -- used in knives, brass knuckles and even guns -- despite repeated warnings of the potentially disastrous flaw amid one of the tightest air-safety crackdowns since 9/11, The Post has found.
    A reporter had no trouble carrying an 8-inch-long piece of titanium through the Terminal 7 checkpoint just hours after The Post reported that the same detectors twice failed to go off for a woman with a 14-inch hip replacement made of the metal.
    That passenger, Berna Keiler of Santa Barbara, Calif., alerted federal authorities to the breach late last year and was reassured by Transportation Security Administration officials that the metal detectors were tested and properly working.
    But that was clearly not the case Tuesday when the reporter failed to set off the alarm during two trips through the scanners.
    The first time around, the reporter placed the titanium in her right side pocket and sent her purse and bag through the X-ray machine. She walked through the metal detector without setting off any alarm.
    On a second attempt, she made no attempt to hide the object, openly wearing it on her wrist.
    That time, TSA agents were quick to point out that her bags -- which mostly contained scarves, cosmetics and small amounts of perfume -- were not properly laid on their side. But once again, no metal detector alarms were set off.
    Airline security experts fear that the loophole -- at a terminal that houses British Airways, United Airlines and US Airways -- could allow more sinister passengers to wreak havoc in the skies.
    "What if you have somebody who can forge a two-shot homemade gun out of titanium and he assembles the pieces while in the bathroom of the plane?" said Clint Van Zandt, a former FBI official.
    "The challenge comes when terrorists change their ways," he said in regards to the failed Christmas Day bomber, who ignited an explosive powder concealed in his underpants. "That's what we're going to get from al Qaeda and other groups.
    "It seems like they sit there and are putting in more time into research and development than the TSA does."
    When told of the Post reporter whose titanium went undetected, TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis said:
    "TSA does not discuss the detection capabilities of our screening equipment, as that is sensitive security information and is not for public disclosure, so I cannot comment on the test your reporter performed at JFK."
    Davis said the machines are "tested by TSA every day at every checkpoint" and declared it "speculative to suggest that someone could walk onto a plane with a titanium blade because of" the Post reporter's experiment and Keiler's hip.
    Keiler, who got past the detectors in October and December, was amazed by the continued security flaw.
    "Do you believe it!" Keiler said yesterday. "You'd have to be crazy not to think people are in danger. There are knives made of titanium. How can it be any more clear?"

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/security_new_vfwfhEnPmjk1kdduQoAQ1H#ixzz0c3bjmECt

2. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

and so we broadcast this information for what reason?

Oh yes, I know! To let the terrorist know so they can conform their weapons and give them the upperhand.

idiots!

:upeyes:

Why does anyone but the TSA need to know this info?

3. thornesguns

thornesguns

so perhaps they can fasion a small gun out of titanium...but wouldn't the bullets still set off the alarm? i supose they don't realy need bullets, they could just bluff. i'm sure someone could sneek a ceramic knife thru as well.

4. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

Now don't go applying knowledge, intelligence and logic to this!!

This is journalism, and you are not a trained journalist!

:whistling:

5. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

Misinformation, let them spend the next 3 years trying to build a titanium bomb or firearm, instead of some improvised device that can really do harm!:shocked:

6. raven11

raven11

7. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

With ceramic bullets!

8. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

Yea - I thought about this one. It'd work except for the stainless steel sleeve in the barrel. And all of the steel parts in the action.

Oh - and the bullets.

But just sit back and see how long it'll be before somebody wants to ban these because:

It's a titanium gun made by Ruger. It doesn't show up on your airport metal detectors and probably costs more than what you make in a month

9. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

To shoot the ceramic bullets you would have to shave off the rifling in the barrel.........Oh ......wait.........nothing!

10. raven11

raven11

when has the truth ever stopped reporters from reporting on a story

[​IMG]

11. Minnow

Minnow

Everybody knows that you can put two bullets in the rabbits foot on your key chain and march right past even Secret Service. :cool:

12. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  13. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

What would happen if a terrorist ever killed on a plane with their bear hands?
    :wow:

YOU DON'T NEED GUNS TO KILL... :crying:

14. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

I agree - it's particularly a laugh when they confiscate some little old lady's nail file. If you are gnarly enough to kill someone using a nail file...

You definitely don't need the damn nail file in order to kill someone :wow:

15. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Brass, lead, powder, primer. No iron to set off the metal detector.

16. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

I'll bet anyone on here that I can get two bullets thru a magnetometer undetected. I'll also bet that I can kill someone with a nail file. There's a reason we don't allow nail files in the jail.

17. method

method

It's a Taurus. For all the work Ruger has done with titanium, they've yet to make any titanium guns.

18. Minnow

Minnow

Knows how many times you've went in and out of that apartment! :whistling:

19. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Iron isn't required to set off a metal detector.

But it's intersting what can be concealed inside the tubular frame of a wheelchair.

20. greenman19

greenman19

BEAR hands are dangerous!!, they have them claws and everything.

sorry, couldn't help myself.