Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just "built" a casting bench for my garage. I took two old school two drawer file cabinets, and spanned them with two sheets of 2'x4' plywood. I had the plywood left over from the floor I put in the attic over my garage. It's 15/32 three ply from Lowes that costs $10.50 for a 4x8 sheet. I had Lowes rip them to 2x8 so I could get them up into the attic.

So I took one of the 2x8 sheets and here's where the Miracle occured. I measured it, marked it at 48", and cut it. When I was done, both pieces were the same size!!!

Here is where the get over part comes. Instead of screwing everything togeather, I used liquid nails. I glued one sheet across the file cabinets, then glued one sheet on top of the other. Then I piled a couple of hundred pounds of lead on all of it. I did drill two 3/8" holes through the top and one cabinet to bolt down my large vise.

I think this is plenty strong enough for something that will only be loaded "down". There won't be any negative G's on it or anything dynamic going on. These are heavy cabinets, not the tin boxes they sell nowadays. One is Steelcase, and the other is actually Remington Rand.

So I have four drawers for stuff, and space in between the cabinets to store ingots in buckets.

I know true craftsman will cringe at what I have done here, but it will be nice to be able to leave everything in place so I don't have to set up/tear down to cast like I did before. Before I was using the tailgate of my pickup.

I'll see how sturdy it is tomorrow when the glue should be dry. I used two 10Oz. tubes and had about 1/3 tube left. I just piled the extra glue in between the layers to use it up and assure a good bond.

·
America/Italia
2,357 Posts
too bad your not in jersey anymore wisky! but i am looking into a gov job down in ole' virginny! well see what happens

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure the Gvt. will be throwing out perfectly good file cabinets on a regular basis.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Can I have you ingots after you burn yourself?

Jack

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I have you ingots after you burn yourself?

Jack
Jack, you're really off your game. This is too easy...

Sure, I'll leave them on the bottom step for you:whistling:

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Jack, you're really off your game. This is too easy...

Sure, I'll leave them on the bottom step for you:whistling:

HA! I have a son-in-law... he just wasn't around that day.:crying:

Jack

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
He sawed half-way through all my canes and put Super Glue in my oxygen hose. I'm starting to get suspicious. :dunno:

Jack

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
That should hold up fine, that glue is pretty strong stuff. Like you said it is only going to have down force on it.

·
2,950 Posts
He sawed half-way through all my canes and put Super Glue in my oxygen hose. I'm starting to get suspicious. :dunno:

Jack
Now, why would your SIL go and do something like that? You been keeping a loaded scattergun by the daughter's bedroom again?

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Now, why would your SIL go and do something like that? You been keeping a loaded scattergun by the daughter's bedroom again?

One word... inheritance! :crying:

Jack

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pics aren't loading in texas either.
Pics don't seem to be loading in firefox.
I hope you guys aren't trying to debug your browsers 'cause I didn't post any.

Oh, wait, those were hints! Hey, I'm not one of those guys you have to drop a house on, I know how to take a hint. I'll try to get a couple up tomorrow.

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, these pics might a be a bit too sexy for the terms of use, I'll probably get banned:

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
What's that sissy looking silver thing sitting in the middle of the desk... and where are my ingots?

Jack

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What's that sissy looking silver thing sitting in the middle of the desk... and where are my ingots?

Jack
That's a Lee 10#. Works great, drips a little, runs empty too fast with a six cavity mold. I run a hot plate with a 3Qt sauce pan alongside it to feed it hot lead. Kind of a convoluted way to do it, but it works. I should have gotten a 20# and if the 10# ever dies, I will. The hot plate is nice for heating up the mold too, instead of dipping it in the lead which never seems to get it more than halfway hot enough.

That blue stock pot is full of ingots, the orange bucket is half full of ingots. Apparently you don't know what an actual ingot looks like. Those discs are my "improved" ingots. Each one is what's left in the bottom of the 3Qt sauce pan after I skim off the jackets. I just cool the pot on a wet towel, dump out the 10#-12# "ingot, and melt another pot full. They are handier than 1# ingots, but not so big/heavy that they can't be moved or melted down in my small sauce pan.

To put it in simpler terms for lurkers who need a kick in the ass to start casting, each one of those plates stacked on the bench equals about 500 free bullets.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Just proves that between the two of us you're the smart one... way too complicated for me and I know the butler would never get the hang of it.

Jack

1 - 20 of 20 Posts