close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

German Shorthair female F/S

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by birddog1, Jan 24, 2010.

1. birddog1

birddog1

I have a 2.5 yr old AKC german shorthair that I need to part with. I bought her as a hunting companion but unfortunately, she is gun shy. Maggie is the 6th GSP I have owned and the only one that has been gun shy. I have tried working with her and she just is not coming around. Around the house, she is fantastic. She does not bark and listens well, wed keep her in a kennel during the day and in the basement at night, she is crate trained and in the 2 years I have owned her she has never had an accident in the crate or house. She also loves kids, she will crawl right up on your lap and fall asleep. She is of smaller stature as well. Maggie likes to play fetch with tennis ball and will run all day long. She is liver with a white patch on her chest. Price is $300 for a FTF meeting her in Ohio.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. muad

muad Lifetime Member

How is she with other dogs?

We are suckers for dogs, especially adorable ones like that.

3. birddog1

birddog1

she's good around other dogs. She is the only one we have but I have hunted her with my brother's GSP with no problems. She isn't the kind of dog that will pester another and she shows no aggressive tendencies. I had her at a hunt club on Saturday and she was around my brother's dog, 2 brittany's and a 120 lb burmese mountain dog. She had no problems with any of them.

4. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Whatever can be said, that makes a dog, a great dog, the German Shorthair is! I've had three. IMHO, there is no better dog!!!!

5. colt_sniper

colt_sniper

how gun shy is she??? you said you have hunted her with another dog.... how did she react to gun fire? timid ? or total tail tucked chicken?

I am very interested, and looking to add another GSP ,to the female I already have... ( going on 5 months old..) already doing field work with her, on planted birds. LOVES gun shots, an cant wait to find the "dead bird"

thanks
    COLT!

6. birddog1

birddog1

I don't really know how gauge her gun shyness since this is the first time I've ever experienced it. I have been working with her every day this week and I've been encouraged. I have been using a kids cap gun, a couple of 1x4 boards and a pheasant wing on a string. She loves the wing and once she gets real excited about it, I started clapping the boards together. She is to the point after just four days that she almost stopped flinching and her tail is not tucked between her legs. She definitely has a lot of prey drive, loves the birds when they are in the crate.

I think the problem comes from her not knowing that the gun shot are associated with the birds. I got her when she was 7 months old and according to the breeder she had no exposure to gun fire. I mistakenly assumed he had because I saw pics of her on point.

7. birddog1

birddog1

Back to top, here's the deal, if somebody wants her for free, they can have her without AKC registration papers. If you want the registration I'll let her go for $200.

8. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I have a 12 year old female GSP (Soba) that I absolutely love. I am not a bird hunter so her being gun shy is not an issue for me. How is she around cats? Does she chew? Is she an escape artist?

I am really considering this. The only concern I have is how adding a new dog to the house would impact my Soba. She is getting on and fairly set in her ways. I don't want to do anything to make her remaining years unhappy. I have two kids (10 and 16) and a fenced yard so your dog would get plenty of exercise and attention. My girl is AKC, but the papers don't matter to me since I have no plans on breeding dogs.

Be honest, is there any other reason why you want to get rid of your dog besides her being gun shy?

9. birddog1

birddog1

Haldor,

I don't know how she is around cats but she did see one in the neighbors yard once and raced over to the fence to see what is was. I know the squirrels drive her nuts though. She is not a chewer although I left her alone in the yard last summer for a little while and she did manage to dig a nice hole trying to get to a chipmunk. To answer your question about escaping, when I first got her she would slip under a small opening under the chain link fence, she only did this if I was outside and left her in the backyard while I went to the front. The opening was there because a previous dog had actually chewed the fence. That dog would eat anything. Maggie is primarily an outside dog in the summer, we bring her in during the cold months. In the kennel she will not make a sound, in the 2 years I have had her I think she has barked 3-4 times total. She will whine for your attention. She loves going for walks and being with her people and she will play fetch all day or until your arm falls off.

100% honestly, the ONLY reason I am getting rid of her is the the gun shyness. She is quiet, obedient, great around my kids and does not destroy the house. I can only have one dog due to space and the dog has to be able to hunt with me. Here's the way I look at it, if you want to take her and she does not work out, I don't think you would have time finding another home for her, especially since she is a freebie.

10. sawzall

sawzall

Absolutely! I got a 9yo GSP, still rockin and still throws down but not with quite the vigor these days.