close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

German Shepard puppy?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Gtwenty3, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Gtwenty3

Gtwenty3

My Fiancee brought home a puppy that was found wandering around South LA. Our phone number was left with several businesses in the area and so far nobody called, that was 2 weeks ago. We figure she was abandoned, the police station nearby said they see lots of pets dropped off in the city by people figuring somebody will pick them up. She was wearing a collar that looked like it was put on her as a few week old puppy and had grown tight. We took her straight to the vet to get checked out. Turns out she was a little thin and had worms but otherwise ok. We started immunization shots and deworming meds. The vet says she is a GSD but I saw a Rot/Shep mix and thought she might be one. Everything I've been reading about GSD's seems to describe her except those ears. She is aprox 4 months old.
    I have 3 questions:
    1.What breed do you think she is?
    2.If Shep, when(how old)should her ears stand?
    3.I've heard of taping the ears, should I?

Thanks from a Border Collie owner

2. Gtwenty3

Gtwenty3

sorry, the pics

3. Gtwenty3

Gtwenty3

4. jeager

jeager

The head looks wide and the nose a bit short for a GSD. Maybe a bit of rotwiller in that department. From "a little thin" two weeks ago; to a happy, alert, and sturdy EMILY in those pix I'd say you're gonna have an 80lb+ member of the family who takes her humans seriously!

P.S.

Change your phone number!

5. NITE SITE 53

NITE SITE 53

Great to see you taking this sweetie in! I also would have to vote on the Rot/Shepard mix and think shes going to be a big girl at at least 80 Lbs. Thanks for posting and doing this!;)

6. msoprano

msoprano

Great looking dog. Glad you saved her. I dont think those ears are gonna stand up though.

7. Los Suenos

Los Suenos JSC

Nice dog. Big bones. I think your GSD/Rott mix is a good call.

8. Gtwenty3

Gtwenty3

I had never really heard of that mix until I came across this forum. I've always liked GSD and one of the sweetest dog I've known is a Rot. There is no way we could leave her on the street. She has tick bites and seeing how tight the collar was she was out there for awhile. We are treating her as part of the family, getting her shots and started training. She seems to have been house broken but thats about it. She is picking up fast on the basics, come/sit/stay(sort of). She is an awesome dog and we really love her already. With that said I do have an email sent out to friends and family looking for a home for her. Emily is our 3rd dog in as many years. With two Border Collies our house is kind of crazy. I am kind of sabatoging our attempts at placing her, I tell people at work that she's a chewer. It's not a lie, she does chew a lot, it just happens to be on her toys and bones. If it's meant to be then she will stay with us and be loved just the same, however if smeone in the Ventura/LA county area can give her the quality of life she deserves, well...

9. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

IMO, I see mostly GSD in her, I barely see any Rottie. It's a little hard to tell when they are pups, give it a couple months and it will show a little better.

10. 220-9er

220-9er

Looks like a nice dog. Glad to see she found a good home.
    I wouldn't worry about a former owner or give her back to somebody who didn't take better care of her.

11. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

12. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

13. Jasper007

Jasper007

He looks like pure GSD.

This is mine at about 4 months of age (look at the ears).

[​IMG]

Different ear stages

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glued with Tearmender Glue (can get at Walgreens)-pm me if you need info

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ears usually stand anywere from 4 months to about 1 year. Start to think about glueing at 7-8 months (if they don't stand).

Jaspers ears didn't fully stand until about 13 months (he will be 2 in May).

Jack

14. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

That is the best looking puppy I have seen in a long time. I really want to get a GSD after my oldest dog passes.