Georgia license procedure?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by J.R. Bob Dobbs, Jul 21, 2005.

1. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

What is the procedure for obtaining a m/c endorsement on a Ga drivers license? I live about 50mi north of Atlanta FYI.

Go to "normal" DMV facility? (all-day affair here)
    Written test?
    Learners permit?
    DMV test ride?
    MSC?

Any info would be appreciated.

I bought my first bike last weekend, 1986 Honda Rebel 250, exact same bike I wanted to buy new when I graduated college but never had the nerve. It was stored inside with only 80mi until this spring, now has 1700mi, and is like new.

I've been riding it around my quiet subdivision, mostly practicing starts/stops and low speed handling. Complete m/c newbie here, but feeling just a little more comfortable every mile (only ridden 10mi so far!!)

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That thing is so cute!!! Nice blue color too. As far as licensing goes, don't have a clue. Why don't you call up the motor vehicle department and get some brochures?

3. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Thanks! Telephone, eh? Might just give that one a try. Their website had no m/c info that I could find. Already got insurance and tags.....those were cheap and easy. I dread any interaction with Ga DMV.

4. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

The quick route (my wife did it) is to take the GA MSF course. 2 nights of classroom stuff, 2 weekend days of riding and if you pass, you get a voucher that you can take to any place that does name changes and get the endorsement added.

I carried mine in from MD... but it's Normally go take a written test and get a learners permit (with restrictions), come back in a few weeks and take the riding test (has to be one of the busy DMVs that does riding tests), pass and get the full endorsement. I *Think* GA has appointments for riding tests (it's been a year since I was there, and 5 since I did anything at the DMV ~ so that may be wrong).

5. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Thanks for the info. Ga's $250 MSF fee is an obstacle, though I will take it some day. Maybe it's cheaper if you bring your own equipment?

I logged 30 miles of low-speed, stop/start, turn-around stuff in my subdivision this week.

Ventured out for the first time in very light traffic early this morning to get gas. I expected to be nervous, but instead I really enjoyed it.

6. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

Yeah, $250 is a little bit of scratch (it was $50 till 2000 or 2001 when the state gov. cut funding) ~ it's still an Outstanding deal at twice the price though.

My biggest grip with learning on your own or from a friend is that bad habits are learned and they can be deadly. Plus they're a PITA to unlearn later. Doesn't mean it can't be done though.

Take it easy and be carefull out there, everyone IS out to hit you (on purpose).

7. Shinichi

Shinichi Snow yet?

i've had my Ga. moto license for almost 15 yrs now. Just keep renewing it as part of my car drivers license.

Back then, I obtained a temporary moto license and then rode the bike to an examiners ofice, rode through the rididulously easy test and was done. The examiner stopped me halfway through after seeing me ride and said 'you passed'. (been riding since a kid and still took the MSF)

It shouldn't be a hassle in Ga.
    Stay safe.